Advice on my dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy89

Reaction score
I'm quitting my family salon as I work alone and have to run reception and do beauty treatments. I am the salon manager, beautician and receptionist. I get paid less than minimum wage, I've never signed an employee contract. But I do receive a payslip. I'm just down as the company secretary. My parents are peeved as I'm leaving before the salon lease ends in October. I asked why they don't hire somebody else, their reply was ... Who will work those hours for that amount?! Well if somebody else won't do it then why should I. My mum said its my business... It's not . My dad owns it with every intention of handing it to me when it became profitable enough. I've given them 3months notice. They are peeved because they have to pay rent between June and October but I'm leaving and there's no other employee. Thoughts?

I'm quitting my family salon as I work alone and have to run reception and do beauty treatments. I am the salon manager, beautician and receptionist. I get paid less than minimum wage, I've never signed an employee contract. But I do receive a payslip. I'm just down as the company secretary. My parents are peeved as I'm leaving before the salon lease ends in October. I asked why they don't hire somebody else, their reply was ... Who will work those hours for that amount?! Well if somebody else won't do it then why should I. My mum said its my business... It's not . My dad owns it with every intention of handing it to me when it became profitable enough. I've given them 3months notice. They are peeved because they have to pay rent between June and October but I'm leaving and there's no other employee. Thoughts?

Thoughts? It doesn't sound like you have a passion for the industry when you don't appreciate what a wonderful gift your parents have given you.

I would have loved loved loved to have been in your position, how amazing they are financially backing a salon, getting it up to a profitable level before handing it over to you. Sounds like you have parents who really would do anything for you.

So yes sounds about right that you choose a different career, let another girl take that opportunity and make a success of it when you don't appreciate it.

You haven't explained your setup, or how long you have been doing it for.

Is it a small beauty room, verymuch like a self employed starter would take on or is it a salon with reception desk and treatment rooms?
If it's the former.....your parents are taking the financial risk, as you build the business, then they will hand it to you....when the business is profitable. Great.

If it's the latter, then the business needs some work doing on it, to get it growing.

You have to ask yourself if you want to be an employee or run your own bussiness as the two are distinctly different.

I've run my own business as a therapist for 18years. that means I'm manager, receptionist, bookkeeper, marketing director( sounds posh lol) web designer....cleaner, and if I have no clients..my pay is £0.

This is a tough one because I have read a lot of your posts about how difficult it has been running a salon with your mum and dad breathing down your neck. Telling you to stop clients using the toilet because of the cost, suggesting you allow clients to barter over treatment costs and so on (yes I have a good memory).

You don't sound happy. Is it because you're not earning much, fed up on your own or just not being allowed to make decisions.

I would be pretty hacked off if I had taken on a premises for my baby girl to run and she bails out before the lease is up, but I also remember a mum geek on here who did the same thing for her daughter. She got her a hair salon but the daughter was totally disinterested.

Is this what you wanted? If so, pull your finger out and stop moaning and work your arse off for the next 6 months and turn a profit but to do that, you have to understand how business works. You can't expect bank of mum and dad to bail the business out AND pay you. Starting and running a business is a relentless slog and from what I've worked out, you haven't been doing it that long but I may be wrong.

If this isn't what you wanted and your parents have foisted it on you then I feel sad for you as this is control, in which case leave.

If I can help in any way, please just ask x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thoughts? It doesn't sound like you have a passion for the industry when you don't appreciate what a wonderful gift your parents have given you.

I would have loved loved loved to have been in your position, how amazing they are financially backing a salon, getting it up to a profitable level before handing it over to you. Sounds like you have parents who really would do anything for you.

So yes sounds about right that you choose a different career, let another girl take that opportunity and make a success of it when you don't appreciate it.

I loveeeeeeeee my job, but get paid £5.40 an hour work 53hours a week as a lone worker. I am the receptionist, salon manager and beautician. I have to run back and forth to answer the phone, and serve clients for the sunbeds and leave clients mid spray tan/hollywood wax etc
Ive worked for them for 2 and a half years
I work 6 days a week, im lucky if i get a week off a year for a holiday
Im very greatful but im struggling to live off my wage, and if i worked these hours elsewhere then I would get paid a lot more
And they dont run a business very effictively , for example they want to stop clients using the loo because we are on a water meter and we are going through lots of loo roll
Its a sunbed and beauty salon

This is a tough one because I have read a lot of your posts about how difficult it has been running a salon with your mum and dad breathing down your neck. Telling you to stop clients using the toilet because of the cost, suggesting you allow clients to barter over treatment costs and so on (yes I have a good memory).

You don't sound happy. Is it because you're not earning much, fed up on your own or just not being allowed to make decisions.

I would be pretty hacked off if I had taken on a premises for my baby girl to run and she bails out before the lease is up, but I also remember a mum geek on here who did the same thing for her daughter. She got her a hair salon but the daughter was totally disinterested.

Is this what you wanted? If so, pull your finger out and stop moaning and work your arse off for the next 6 months and turn a profit but to do that, you have to understand how business works. You can't expect bank of mum and dad to bail the business out AND pay you. Starting and running a business is a relentless slog and from what I've worked out, you haven't been doing it that long but I may be wrong.

If this isn't what you wanted and your parents have foisted it on you then I feel sad for you as this is control, in which case leave.

If I can help in any way, please just ask x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Its not my business, its my fathers. He is the owner, he controls the finances. I have some input but there are suggestions ive put forward that i feel are essential, which my father dithers about for months before he implements them, and lots of the time he doesnt.
Ive given my input on the toilet situation but my parents say things like.. well if you want to let them use it then you can pay for it.
I work my arse off. I do all the promotions and social media. I run the instagram, twitter and facebook .. ive generated lots of business but not enough to make this business profitable :(
Ive put my heart and soul into this, im very enthusiatic. I take pride in all my treatments
I feel the business isn't progressing
I understand it takes a while. But we have two salons, and my sister worked for the business for 4 years and after 4 years her pay went up to £740 per month , thats what mine was initially. We worked approx 35hours a week.
I know business start ups are difficult and you may not be able to pay yourself a wage or a decent one for the first few years. Do i have unreasonable expectations?
I have a split opinion.
My parents started this business to provide me and my sister with a future, and a good income. That was their intention.

I have never worked in any other beauty salon.
I did diplomas in all my qualifications.
I have a keen interest in business management and marketing.

I spend my downtime advertising and relentlessly asking and researching marketing initiatives and how to run a successful business.

I want to implement a loyalty scheme but my father wont as it will 'cost us money which we cant afford.
I want to have the website revamped as it is is not mobile responsive and it looks shoddy, although giving us excellent SEO.

I want the token boxes for our sunbeds to be on the outside of the rooms so i can more closely monitor issues.. which we continually experience.

I produce the flyers, business cards.. using my own money for graphic design work and the business then pays for the printing. My father refuses to pay for graphic design work, even though the last flyers i made looked awful.

I update the website whenever needed- Im not asked to do this. I do this because I want to.

Off my own back, I record the takings- i am trying to monitor customer spending activity.
I also log complaints.. not his idea, mine.

Ive issued customer feedback forms.. i told him, he wasn't the slightest bit bothered. This was my attempt at market research , to help us see where the business could be improved.

I would also like to start email marketing. I attempted through mail chimp but experienced issues, even though i read all the advice. I wanted to pay a small amount for this service.. but he wont

Clients werent leaving messages on the answer machine between open and close times. So i called up the phone company and inquired. I got caller display, without his consent for an extra £1.50 a month. Now I am able to view caller history for up to 3 days. Every morning when I come in, I call all clients who missed call .. to ensure we are not missing out business. When i initially suggested this and told my dad the price he said... 'we will think about it'.. which means 'give it few weeks or months and maybe we will do it. To me this was a no brainer, considering the very small cost
I wanted us to have salon software to enable us to send out automated texts and or emails of appointment confirmations to reduce no shows.

I also tried asking for card services.. it took him 2years to finally decide it was worthwhile

After reading a few of your responses to others geeks im going to suggest a different strategy.

You seem really determined to make this business succeed but for whatever reason your dad still wants to control and have final say.

With this in mind i would sit down as a family. Not just you and your dad but you, him, your mum and sister too and thrash it out. List everything you have done and want to do to try and improve the business and back up with sound reasoning ie recommend a friend will help gain more clients etc. Ask him why he drags his feet with things. With having your mum and sister there they should be able to support you.

You then have two options. Ask to be made ceo of the company as for reasons you have stated above you feel your dad isnt doing the business any favours and the business needs to be run differently. Offer to pay a set rate back each week so that your dad gets back his financial investment

Or secondly stick to being an employee but with that first and formost you wage goes up to minimum wage otherwise your dad is breaking the law and you only do set tasks and he has to do the rest such as marketing, accounts, handling complaints etc.

If niether of these situations suit your father then you need to be strong and say your walking away. But give it a chance first. He could just be trying to protect his little girl and he could also be feeling out of his depth with a business he has no experience of running and is scared it will fail. By the sounds of it he has down the usual man thing of hiding in his cave and hoping everything will come up rosy when that most certainly doesnt happen.

Be kind and ask him why he is doing things as he is and point out where improvements could be made. Show him your a team and want him to get the most out of his investment. My grandma has an amazing skill of of telling my grandad of what needs doing and how he needs to do it but she always lets him think it was all his idea, keeps everyone happy without anyone being manipulated. Think you need to work on this with your dad so you both get the best out of the business.

If on the other hand as vic said and its all down to control and he wont hear any of it then its time to down tools and back away. Get yourself set up somewhere else asap and forget the three months notice, just go cos if he is that controlling with work what else is he controlling about?

Sorry this is a long post but i think this is the route you need to be taking before you can be doing anything to improve the business. Hope it all works out for the best which ever direction you end up taking.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Did you actually want this? Did your sister want this? Is she still in the business? Is her salon a success? Could you close one down and run one together?

This is a great opportunity if this is what you want. I employ my daughter but am concious all the time that she might want to bugger off round the world at some point.

I do think you need to talk with your family. You sound like you want to stay in this industry so see if there is any way you can make this work. This really is the opportunity of a lifetime but I'm not convinced you feel the same.

I always say "just because an opportunity comes your way doesn't mean you have to take it".

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

After reading a few of your responses to others geeks im going to suggest a different strategy.

You seem really determined to make this business succeed but for whatever reason your dad still wants to control and have final say.

With this in mind i would sit down as a family. Not just you and your dad but you, him, your mum and sister too and thrash it out. List everything you have done and want to do to try and improve the business and back up with sound reasoning ie recommend a friend will help gain more clients etc. Ask him why he drags his feet with things. With having your mum and sister there they should be able to support you.

You then have two options. Ask to be made ceo of the company as for reasons you have stated above you feel your dad isnt doing the business any favours and the business needs to be run differently. Offer to pay a set rate back each week so that your dad gets back his financial investment

Or secondly stick to being an employee but with that first and formost you wage goes up to minimum wage otherwise your dad is breaking the law and you only do set tasks and he has to do the rest such as marketing, accounts, handling complaints etc.

If niether of these situations suit your father then you need to be strong and say your walking away. But give it a chance first. He could just be trying to protect his little girl and he could also be feeling out of his depth with a business he has no experience of running and is scared it will fail. By the sounds of it he has down the usual man thing of hiding in his cave and hoping everything will come up rosy when that most certainly doesnt happen.

Be kind and ask him why he is doing things as he is and point out where improvements could be made. Show him your a team and want him to get the most out of his investment. My grandma has an amazing skill of of telling my grandad of what needs doing and how he needs to do it but she always lets him think it was all his idea, keeps everyone happy without anyone being manipulated. Think you need to work on this with your dad so you both get the best out of the business.

If on the other hand as vic said and its all down to control and he wont hear any of it then its time to down tools and back away. Get yourself set up somewhere else asap and forget the three months notice, just go cos if he is that controlling with work what else is he controlling about?

Sorry this is a long post but i think this is the route you need to be taking before you can be doing anything to improve the business. Hope it all works out for the best which ever direction you end up taking.

Thank you so much ladies. I'm really touched by this heart felt approached. He loves me dearly and is trying to set me up financially for the future. I feel there are too many difference in opinions. I'm sure if made a list that included suggestions, costs, negatives & positives he would listen but he takes so long as everything costs money which we don't have apparently. I'm frustrated because I feel that if we can't afford it maybe we should set deadlines and maybe save towards them.
I think he's reluctant because he's a frugal man and doesn't believe in throwing money at things, therefore he likes to take months to consider whether or not something is a worthy investment.
I live with him but until I get minimum wage I can't afford living costs.
I'm sick of living under my parents , I want to spread my wings.
How do other businesses cope when they can't afford to make ends meet? I doubt they pay their staff below minimum wage.
My parents feel like I've thrown everything back in their face. They set this business up so me and my sister would be financial stable but my sister was working for them for 4years and was on £1.50 an hour as was I until she left.
I'm a lone worker and he doesn't see the point in hiring somebody if there usually isn't enough work for 2hands but then I don't think a beautician should be leaving a customer with her bits out during a hollywood wax to constantly answer the phone and serve Sunbed clients.
I think it would be a while before the business would be making enough to pay me a full wage. He thinks it won't be long.
But I have no idea what the finances are, it's not a secret but he doesn't openly discuss it and he can't rattle off his head the figures. Which I think a business owner should know like the back of their hand

Did you actually want this? Did your sister want this? Is she still in the business? Is her salon a success? Could you close one down and run one together?

This is a great opportunity if this is what you want. I employ my daughter but am concious all the time that she might want to bugger off round the world at some point.

I do think you need to talk with your family. You sound like you want to stay in this industry so see if there is any way you can make this work. This really is the opportunity of a lifetime but I'm not convinced you feel the same.

I always say "just because an opportunity comes your way doesn't mean you have to take it".

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I never asked for this. I graduated uni and he asked if I wanted to work for him and I thought ... Yeah why not.
My sister did the same and hated it.
I on the other hand love it and have put my heart and soul into this business but feel I am fighting a losing battle and think theirs so many things that aren't under my control.
I believe I could run a business myself a lot better.
I'm greAtful for everything I have learnt.
I'm greAtful for a job and the opportunity.
My sister is a personal trainer and is working for her boyfriend .. And they are running a very profitable , successful business
I do think I should have signed a contract.
I also think my dad should check in with me regularly to ensure i am relatively happy as i am the blood life of this salon

Ok going by what you have said alarm bells are starting to ring for me.

I would now be putting a business plan together for this salon and a plan you want. Once you have done this take it to him, still be kind but be blunt that things need to change and fast. Things like sunbeds should be gone if there is only you and no one else as you are intrupting treatments etc for silly things like this.

If your dad insists that he is the owner of the business then you need to point out that you will now longer be working more then 48 hrs a week and pay needs to be minimum wage (as an employee its the law no excuses!) and he needs to be allocating you tasks. Not palming you off with doing everything and him reaping the rewards. Tbh if the business was truly like he said he would be knuckling down to improve it and helping you even if it meant he or your mum worked reception whilst you did the treatments. It really does sound like he is using you though so go carefully and ensure things are now on your terms not his and as i have said if needs be down tools and walk.

Good luck i think your going to need it. Let us know how you get on x

Latest posts

Back