Advice on my new hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy_lou

Reaction score
So I've gone to get my hair done with a new hairdresser today and she is using high lift Tint with 9% peroxide rather than my usual bleach. She wants to put dark through next time to make me lighter. How does this work? She says the dark will make the blonde look lighter. I've only ever had bleach highlights one colour. She doesn't want to use a toner as it's bad for your hair so has put some ash highlights through with the hi lift not sure what it is. Anyway do you think she sounds like she knows what she is doing? Will let you know how it comes out. Eeeek so nervous only use one hair dresser for 13 years.

So she said she will get it more even and platinum (not darker at the ends anymore) but it still looks the same. She used two blondes and toner. It feels less light than before. Feels like the toner make the blonde darker. I might ask for no toner next time. She also wants to put dark low lights which in effect will make my hair appear lighter due to the contrast with my light blonde highlights. Ill post pics if needed but not happy and want to know if it sound like she knows what she is talking about or if I'm better off looking elsewhere. Thanks x

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime I look at my newly highlighted hair the more I hate it. Instead of a nice light platinum blonde it looks dull, dark and grey. How do I remove this?

Next time I'm going to ask for no toner. She used an ash hi lift with 9% peroxide. I don't want my hair to look darker blonde than before I wanted it whiter!

Please tell me if the toner will wash out? Thanks xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect to you but you need to contact your hairdresser instead of posting different threads.

She is the one who knows your hair and what she has done and can advise you best.

Laura x

So she said she will get it more even and platinum (not darker at the ends anymore) but it still looks the same. She used two blondes and toner. It feels less light than before. Feels like the toner make the blonde darker. I might ask for no toner next time. She also wants to put dark low lights which in effect will make my hair appear lighter due to the contrast with my light blonde highlights. Ill post pics if needed but not happy and want to know if it sound like she knows what she is talking about or if I'm better off looking elsewhere. Thanks x

Have you got a Picture?
Did you tell her you wanted it the same as your roots, or did you say platinum? X

As suggested in your other thread, a photo would surely help. How long has ot been? Have you washed it yet? There may be a simple solution, but as the last person said it is best to discuss with the hairdresser that provided the service. Don't panic and do something that could be damaging

Sent from my SCH-R530U using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes will upload. I showed her my pic and said I want it light like my roots. I also said I like more white blonde than yellow which she said is platinum. Anyway she put dark through with the blonde and I feel darker now! It's awful. So disappointed. I liked the colour before she toned it. Now it's dull grey and dark strands. Will upload a pic xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380140652.403501.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380140666.219342.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380140680.013947.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380140723.535985.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380140762.681672.jpg

Don't get me wrong I know it's not horrible it's just not what I wanted. I wanted a whiter blonde like my roots. I even showed her this pic ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380140806.588951.jpg

But she did this. What do you think? She said the dark will make the light look brighter. I don't see it. It just looks darker an no longer blonde all over. Gutted. X

Uploaded pics. Sorry guys I was in a panic and I hate complaining she tried so hard took over three hours doing my hair. I think next time I'll have to stand up to her and say I like the blonde all over look. I don't want darker blonde through it and I don't want the toner. I like bright light blonde. She is a new hairdresser and a bit intimidating. She said my hair is ok but she can make it look more natural and better. I don't want natural I want blonde highlights all over. But you are totally right posting threads won't help just wanted some advise for now until my next appointment next month where I will ask To go lighter again. Sorry guys I'm just a bit upset and gutted! Xx

Uploaded pics. Sorry guys I was in a panic and I hate complaining she tried so hard took over three hours doing my hair. I think next time I'll have to stand up to her and say I like the blonde all over look. I don't want darker blonde through it and I don't want the toner. I like bright light blonde. She is a new hairdresser and a bit intimidating. She said my hair is ok but she can make it look more natural and better. I don't want natural I want blonde highlights all over. But you are totally right posting threads won't help just wanted some advise for now until my next appointment next month where I will ask To go lighter again. Sorry guys I'm just a bit upset and gutted! Xx

Have you thought to take a picture in with you to show her exactly what you want?
Sometimes it's just the terminology that makes for misunderstandings. You mention in your post above that you want "the blonde all over" look, but later you speak of "blonde highlights". This kind of contradicts itself.

I really like it, big improvement from the first pictures you put on.
You would be best taking a picture in natural light though.
Looks as though the blonde has evened out now?
And the darker colour breaks it up so it looks less brassy and a nicer blonde. (Again would see better in natural light)

Next time just ask for finer bits of the darker colour instead if you don't feel its blonde enough x

I showed her the pic Hun of what I want. By blonde all over I mean I don't like died hair like block colour but I like highlights that give the blonde all over effect as I prefer the highlighted look. But I don't want highlights that look like dark hair with a few blondes. If that makes sense? Lol xx

P.s, the colour will probably fade abit as its on blonde maybe thats why shes gone abit darker than the pic?
And as someone else has said you are best going back to your hairdresser if you're really not happy. But give it a couple days x

The third Pic is more natural light I think. Thanks yes the blonde has evened out but still a bit darker at the bottom. So do you think I should keep darker but thinner than just all blonde highlights? Xx

She is right in what she is saying, the low light in theory should make your highlight brighter , did u have any low lights previously? It may be that you are not used to it? I would wash it a few times and if you are still not happy then contact her x

Hi Hun, never had low lights before. Only one colour highlight bleach. You're right I should give it a chance. It feels a bit strippy and less blonde. I think she likes natural and wants to get my base my natural colour which she says is base 6 dark blonde but I think my base is darker - medium brown! Unless my hair has got lighter as I've got older? I am worried she is going to make my hair dark with just some blondes rather than the blonde all over highlighted look. Xx

The third Pic is more natural light I think. Thanks yes the blonde has evened out but still a bit darker at the bottom. So do you think I should keep darker but thinner than just all blonde highlights? Xx

Yes, just blonde can look brassy (yellowy) without another colour or a toner. But thats just my opinion, see how you feel after a couple washes xx

Although I highlight my hair the effect it has is blonde all over as I've only ever had one blonde. I guess it's similar to block colour except it still has some of my natural colour and is better for my hair. She wants to make it more obvious highlights by adding low lights. I don't want that. Why didn't I tell her grrrr she made it sound so nice and she basically said my hair doesn't look great like this and would look more natural like hers. She has dark blonde with a few highlights. I can tell she's a good hairdresser but i think she doesn't like what I want and is trying to persuade me otherwise! Lol xx

But what about the pic I posted that is blonde all over with no dark. It doesn't look yellow?? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380142630.247669.jpg this is what I want :(

Personally I think it will be lovely once u have washed it a few times x she has prob gone darker on the low light as they fade so quick !! So once it is washed a few times it will be all blended and the look for autumn/winter is natural so she prob knows what she is doing !! Let us know how u get on x good luck!!

Latest posts

Back