Advice on practice without a work placement and building confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDiva

Reaction score
Hi this is kindone of a continuation or my last trend I've looked and looked and salon just isn't coming my way but I don't want to sit on my hands I don't feel people ready yet so what do I do??
After nearly 2000 on a course and I'm feeling worried my game is off since I've started taking hairdressing seriously I can do my hair and my daughters hair fine but anyone else I go to pieces I know it's confidence I have 2 salons offering me space but nobody to work under or learn from I'd like to try but not yet are these online training sites like my hairdresser.com any good? I finish college in September and I want to continue but without and one to work under do I just stay home and practice my cuts and styling until I'm doing them in my sleep and just go it alone.
Also how do you get people to let you even do there hair?? That's part of what's taken my confidence since starting college when you say to people "I've been at college to get my hairdressing qualifications it's like a turn off I'm finding people very reluctant but are happy to go to the unqualified hairsalon down the high street im not knocking it but it's like how do u start out getting people to trust you I've not had time to maintain my look as I've been at college do I need to have a make over and spend a few months as I said practicing on blocks and myself and building up photos to show people?? I'm so confused I'm a messy creative type I love colour and moving towards hair extensions and hair replacement but these things are bothering me I'm not sure how to go foward money is tight as this has been a career change I've been selling human hair since 2013 but stopped to go to college as I would like to eventually open a salon but the way things are I don't know if that was the right thing to do as I'm now struggling to relaunch myself as a haidresser and the ltitle budget I had went on the course any advice would be appreciated

I need to practice what I preach here, cause i'm the same as you confidence wise, but a picture speaks a million words.
Take pics of every single client you do, use the pictures as your advertisement.

Youtube is one of the best learning tools I think. Buy Toni&Guy dvd's on ebay. They're dead cheap!

Watch Vidal Sassoon tutorials on Youtube.

To make it easier break it down into units. For example write down the cuts you want to perfect, then spend a week watching tutorials on these cuts.

The next week, colour. The week after, hair ups... Etc.

Buy a few dolls heads and practice, practice, practice... Take pics of the work you do on dolls heads, offer discount prices to get you started.
Buy the latest official NVQ 2/3 Hairdressing books. Just absorb every bit of info you can.

Thanks I think the idea of braking things down is really good I'm going to invest in some more blocks and get to it.

I definitely recommend subscribing to myhairdressers.com

The hairdressers they use are excellent and probably the best in the business. It's a brilliant website for newbies and stylists wanting to refresh their skills. I'm sure you won't regret it. :)

Latest posts

Back