Advice on pricing for a beginner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade97

Reaction score
So I’ve only been qualified in acrylics for about 4 weeks, at the moment I’ve not been charging people that I’ve been practising on as I just want to build up a few photos of what I can do. I want to make a fb page and start charging to cover some of the costs of products, I don’t want to charge to much as I’m worried I won’t get anyone wanting any nails if they’re too much as I’m only new to this. I’ll attach some pics of what I’ve done so far. Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• 9B0C1844-FD9D-4506-95FE-B7505757D395.jpeg
    9B0C1844-FD9D-4506-95FE-B7505757D395.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 146
  • F8882EF0-CA57-4359-9156-1D7C8F5D6A49.jpeg
    F8882EF0-CA57-4359-9156-1D7C8F5D6A49.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • 50E0A07F-2DE7-4949-819B-21200A52E0F7.jpeg
    50E0A07F-2DE7-4949-819B-21200A52E0F7.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 81084620-60F7-47B7-9E68-7A3ACC676AE5.jpeg
    81084620-60F7-47B7-9E68-7A3ACC676AE5.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 130
  • AF3E7309-CE1C-4FD1-9789-3DCD25868CCB.jpeg
    AF3E7309-CE1C-4FD1-9789-3DCD25868CCB.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 128
Just because you're a beginner, doesn't mean you have to price low, that's something I learned recently.
If you offer quality service and products, charge appropriately.
Think about it this way ; A new clothing designer hits the runway at fashion week, creating beautiful garments. Should they charge next to nothing just because they're new? Of course not, it's the highest quality and has that high price tag.
I'm not saying overcharge, but be proud of your work and ask for what is appropriate.

Last edited:
The first two sets are fabulous. I would not think that they were from someone who has only jusy qualified so well done! I would say that you need to charge what you are worth from the off. It is very difficult to drop the prices back down once you have sold fr cheap. By all means put on a special offer. Maybe something like Full set at your usual price but then the next appointment 25% off or half price infills. This will enable you to see how well your nails have lasted and encourage the client to look after them ready for their next appointment. You could tell them that need to book the infills straight away so that you know it is within the recommended time. I hope this makes sense x

I was told when I trained, you shouldn't be aiming at charging full price until you'd completed at least 100 sets of nails. Having said that, I think ut depends on your own abilities and confidence too. The first 2 pics look good. The others look like you may have product on the finger tips, perhaps? It may just be the reflection/camera? One pic looks like the tissue around the nail is quite red? Not sure if you've tried to trim it/touched it with an electric drill.....or maybe the client presented like this? Generally, the more you practice, the better you get and more confident you will get. Well done!

There appears to be filing dust under the thumb nails, you need to get a soft nailrush or blusher brush and brush that away before putting oil on the nails. Otherwise very good for just 4 weeks post training.
How long does it take you to do a set before you do the nail art?

There appears to be filing dust under the thumb nails, you need to get a soft nailrush or blusher brush and brush that away before putting oil on the nails. Otherwise very good for just 4 weeks post training.
I’ve not actually timed how long just the nail and filing takes, but I did a set today with some nail art and it took just over 2 and a half hours, I’ve only done 6 sets including my own nails. I know thats quite a long time but I’m hoping the more I do the faster I’ll get

I’ve not actually timed how long just the nail and filing takes, but I did a set today with some nail art and it took just over 2 and a half hours, I’ve only done 6 sets including my own nails. I know thats quite a long time but I’m hoping the more I do the faster I’ll get
Don't rush until you get all the small issues ironed out. Only once you know you are 100% happy, should you try to speed up. 2 1/2 hours is kinda to be expected at your stage.

So I know I’ve already asked about pricing but I’m still I sure how much is too much for the standard of nails I’m creating, these are the prices I’ve come up with so far just wondering if anyone could let me know what they think please:

Nail prices:

Gel nails £10

Gel toes £10

Gel toes/nails (nail art) £15

Gel nails and toes £18

Acrylics (plain or with gel colour) £15

Acrylics (nail art, ombré and french) £20

Infill (same design/colour) £15

Infill (new design/new colour) £20

Soak off (with a new set) £5

Soak off £10

Introductory offer: Any acrylic nails (plain or with nail art) £13 & gel nails or toes (plain) £8

I’ve added a pic of my most resent nails too thanks :)

Attachments

• C3FDEC48-696A-4172-A09E-3B99BB66771A.jpeg
    C3FDEC48-696A-4172-A09E-3B99BB66771A.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 48
Nowhere near enough, training or not. £20 for acrylic is nowhere near enough, products alone will cost (lets guess at £5) that's £15 earned for 2 hours work (by the time you've set up/cleaned down/etc) - that's £7.50 an hour. The National Living Wage is 9.50.

It's extremely hard to put your prices up, better to set them high and offer discount opening rates/trial sets for a limited time.

Please don't cheapen yourself.
I know it's hard because we see so many full sets done for £20 but that's because those techs do them in under an hour without proper hygiene. You are worth more. Start your acrylics at £30 , £35 for pink and white, £40 for acrylic with gel, etc. x

I'm not trained in nails so can only offer you my opinion, but I think that is far to cheap , it can be quite daunting when your just starting out worrying if your to cheap , to expensive will you or won't you get clients , but your doing it to make money once you cost in price of products and your time charging those prices you will make very little if any profit , cheap doesn't automatically give you clients and once you are established it is difficult to put your prices up
Please rethink

Your nails are super cute! Have a look on Facebook market place to see how much others are promoting for, these usually have home nail techs prices because it's how they advertise! I researched what people charges around me, but still need to decide on mine😂

Latest posts

Back