Advice on ski jump nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazbar

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have a client with very small nailbeds and ski jump nails. On our first appt I tipped and applied l&p. Have now done a few rebalances and they always need so much work and a few replacements :rolleyes:

Last week she had lost 7 nails after only 2 weeks ! (Think she might have helped them but not sure). So I tipped those 7 and did them from scratch. She has called me today to say that she has lost 2 already after only a few days.

I have just spent a while going through old threads but couldn't really find the answer I want. Should I soak off and new set every other time to stop all the lifting and losing of the nails or is there something else I can do ?

I always make sure there is a good apex and she doesn't have them too long, books in every two weeks for a rebalance. I am despairing !

Can she just not have nails ?? I would hate to have to say that to someone but are there people that just cannot wear enhancements ?

Sounds like if you are tipping properly, then she is being a bit hard on those nails.

Just keep replacing, but let her know that when she leaves the salon, her nails are her responsibility. She needs to oil them frequently, and not use them as tools!

Look at her nails closely when you are repairing them- does it look they were helped off? Any marks from being peeled off? Tearing or thinning of the nail plate? Look there first...

And try using a full well tip if you aren't already, with gelbond instead of a liquid adhesive.

ANd take a deep breath lol- Good luck hon, I'm sure you are doing just fine...

My sister has ski jump nails and they are a nightmare to do:Scared:
when i tip and overlay on hers she has the problem of losing a few, no lifting though,
i have started to sculpt her nails now and they last much better, only had 2 breaks in the last two and a half months,
i do find that because they are ski jumped the apex looks thicker than it would on regular nails and we have to over compensate the free edge, so it curves downwards instead of upwards.
also sounds like you may need to work on your prep a bit more if you are getting a lot of lifting,
as for the picking, my sister finds them harder to pick at when sculpted lol,
i haven't had any training for sculpts, just give it a go hun it is better than losing a client

has she ever tried gel enhancements? i only ask as i had a client a little while ago who was having real problems with L&P ie- losing nails, lifting. after a while i made the suggestion of maybe trying gel instead just to see how she got on with them as she had never had them before. i soaked off the l&p and did a set of gels and she had very little problem after that. her nails obviously just didn't suit the l&p! it might not work for your client but it was just a thought!xx

My sister has ski jump nails and they are a nightmare to do:Scared:
when i tip and overlay on hers she has the problem of losing a few, no lifting though,
i have started to sculpt her nails now and they last much better, only had 2 breaks in the last two and a half months,
i do find that because they are ski jumped the apex looks thicker than it would on regular nails and we have to over compensate the free edge, so it curves downwards instead of upwards.
also sounds like you may need to work on your prep a bit more if you are getting a lot of lifting,
as for the picking, my sister finds them harder to pick at when sculpted lol,
i haven't had any training for sculpts, just give it a go hun it is better than losing a client

Thanks LoubyLou. I have been working on my sculpting and thought I might try that but reading through the old threads it says it is better to tip :confused:. My prep is 100% better the last few weeks since I bought a fab new tool so it can't be that now. They lift at the sides as if the product is being forced off the nail by the way it is growing. I am tempted to do them thicker to see if that helps but sort of goes against my aim of natural looking nails !

Heather - thanks for your advice - they definitely looked like they were helped off. I don't normally use full well tips but have some somewhere. I will try and dig them out and see if they work better.

Perhaps I will do one tip one sculpt tomorrow and see how they look at the next appt !

Latest posts

Back