Advice on starting mobile nail business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozzie

Reaction score
Ok, so I have just this minute signed up to Salon Geek because it seems to be a useful place to get some advice!
I am 20 years old and hoping to start up a mobile nail business as soon as I pass my driving test. I am already mani & pedi qualified and looking to also go on a course for OPI Gels as my basic start up qualifications (may look into acrylics at a later date). I want to do mobile as I still live with my parents so I'm not able to run a salon from there (Mum already runs podiatry business from home so no room!) Also planning on going to university September next year so hoping this is something I can do to earn money on the side while I study and I can perhaps work in a salon part time when I'm more confident. Hoping I'll get business from my mum's clients and I live in a fairly wealthy area where people may have disposable income to spend on nails!
Just wanted a few bits of advice, firstly general tips on mobile salons, car/business insurance and lots of practical advice such as where to do it etc (heard ironing board is good if you don't want to invest in a table!) Secondly, is OPI Gels a good choice? I've heard a lot of bad things from people who have had Shellac done. I have a huge collection of regular polish and I love OPI but not so keen on CND Vinylux.
Thirdly, individual services I would like to offer are nail art and also a growth plan to help people grow their natural nails as this is something I know a lot about. Anybody found this to be successful?
Sorry for the long post, I don't know how this works and setting up a business is scary so need all the help I can get!!

Hi Hun I'm a mobile beauty therapist and nail technician, be prepared to work silly hours! I work 10am - 9pm Tuesday to Friday and 10-3 Saturday and my evenings are always fully booked! I would recommend buying a table they're only £40 but try to use people dining tables just line them (I use placemats and towels) it will save you lots of time! I use CND shellac and love it and use orly polishes as these are what my customers prefer. Make sure you get special insurance for being mobile and follow there guidelines but it's not too pricey :)
Honestly don't worry about it, it all comes together and you will build a much better relationship with your customers than you do in a salon x

Hi :) I'm a mobile nail tech. I too would advise getting a table. I bought a foldable manicure table from Amazon but then bought a white light weight one from the habitat section in homebase for £15 and prefer this to my manicure table as its so much easier to carry. But I only use it if I can't use a clients table. I bought a table mat which can be wiped down and just lay over their tables.
I use salon gold for my insurance, beauty guild and ABT insurance are also very good.
If you haven't already bought bags and cases, take a look at Roo beauty I live their nail bags :D
As for gels I think most known brands are good, I tried gellux, opi gel, shellac and then settled with Gelish in the end. But I think once you get used to working with a brand they are all good. I use OPI polishes for normal manicures. I used to use vinylux but they went gloopy so quick. :)

I never got around to buying a table, nearly 5 years on I'm still using dining tables [emoji23]

I use BABTAC insurance - personal preference.

I use OPI and Vinylux which I like both for different reasons. I use shellac too which everyone loves!

A travel bag on wheels is one of the best investments and I second the roo beauty little bags for polishes etc x

I have to say I was never sure of shellac but after adding it as an option for my clients to the gel I offer its opened up a whole new avenue of customers who dont want full gel, I've never brought a table as clients who call always have a table to sit to. Word of mouth and recommendations have been the best way to get new clients so never be embarrassed to ask a Happy customer to recommend you or pass on you price lists to friends.

So pleased I found this thread! Answered so many of my questions x

Never got as far as to say thank you so so much to all of you for all your helpful advice! I have now passed my driving test (FINALLY!) so I am hoping to get started on the business and I'm sure your tips will really come in handy!! xxx

I have been using OPI Gel Color, Gelish, Orly Gel FX, Gelaze and even Finger Paints Gel Polish. I don't find that it's bad to carry different brands as they all offer different colors and sometimes you need to switch brands to find the color you want!!! There is no shame in that!

Latest posts

Back