Advice on The Gel Bottle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma Slough

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been using Jessica geleration for the last 10 years. It’s all I know. Recently I’ve been wondering if I should be a bit braver and venture into another brand. Almost all my nail tech friends are now using TGB. I’m tempted but I’ve done a little research and I’m reading that after a while of use it can cause oncholysis and irritation/ rashes up the arms ect. I am happy with geleration, but I also want to keep up to date with trends.
can anyone give me any advise on TGB please. I’m also reading that it doesn’t comply with uk regulations. Confused
Any feedback welcomed x Thank you x

If its working for you and your clients why change?
Especially to a product that you have researched and have your doubts about?
I would stay with what you have been using.
None of my clients, in 7 years, have ever asked what brands I use.

I just wanted a bit of advise as I don’t work in a salon anymore I work mobile and you don’t get the support of a salon environment. It’s just me. Almost every single client of mine over the last 6 years has asked me what brand I use. I just wanted to find out if users of TGB had had any problems with what I had read about. I don’t take what I read on sites as gospel but real life people who use it day to day I’ll listen to. X x

I’ve never had any issues with their gel polish and love using it however I’ve stopped using their rubber base and biab as I had issues on 2 of my toenails and my thumb

Thank you for your reply x what brand do you use as a base coat instead please?

Thankyou x

How are they not complying with UK regulations? x

I don’t know. It’s something that I had read ‍♀️

I love the gel bottle and have never had a problem. A lot of my acrylic clients have swapped to it and it’s now what I use 80% of the time. Including the rubber base which stops lifting on weak and bendy nails, and the 2 in 1 base on stronger nails.

I’ve read the stuff about it but haven’t experienced anything. I wonder if the problems come from people applying it too thickly or not curing for long enough/with the right lamp

I love the gel bottle and have never had a problem. A lot of my acrylic clients have swapped to it and it’s now what I use 80% of the time. Including the rubber base which stops lifting on weak and bendy nails, and the 2 in 1 base on stronger nails.

I’ve read the stuff about it but haven’t experienced anything. I wonder if the problems come from people applying it too thickly or not curing for long enough/with the right lamp

I felt the same until one client contacted me about her big toe nail then I’d had rubber base and biab on my own toes and fingers for a while and had a lot of lifting on 3 nails. Thumb nail has grown out and looks fine but my toe nails haven’t. I had almost full bottles in several colours and I’ve binned them

I still love their gel polishes and just placed another order.

The fact that their educators were involved in the group and experienced the problems rang the loudest alarm bells for me. Yes one can try to apportion blame on techs, but if those who are advocating for the brand, therefore have/do all the 'right' things have issues then there's a problem.

Followed by a 'reformulation' - hmmmmm

Will this bring you more customers, or by using the same as others in your region will you lose a difference?

What if you invested the same amount that it would cost you to rebrand, in getting more advanced education - education that can really make you stand out in your region? Why be a sheep? Make your own path! :)

Although I am a manufacturer, I ALWAYS believed (due to my wife) that YOU are the most important brand and by developing your skills and knowledge is the ONLY way to develop a reputation that attracts the best customers. (we have proved this time and again with our own salons, and salons we have mentored).

I also believe that a supplier should be more than an online shop. They should have the education from beginner to top national or international level in all categories, so that Nail Techs can develop their full potential. It should be a partnership where the supplier is also committed to your success and provides the resources to help you achieve this.

Education used to be the way that Nail Techs choose their brands. Unfortunately, this has been largely forgotten in recent years.

I used TGB when it first launched, it seemed a good product - I’d never used a gel that adhered that well to nails, even “problem” clients were getting 3 weeks + with it. This in itself should have rung alarm bells. It wasn’t until a year later I started having problems with seeing onycholysis on clients nails, nail seemed to have severe burning with the rubber base and 2in1 (myself included) - this still didn’t ring bells for me as it was only several clients out of hundreds.
Any how I stopped using TGB for other reasons, poor stock levels, three price increases within a year etc. I swapped to the other white bottle (PG), exact same products at a much cheaper price, I used the same BIAB and rubber base. Their c/s was even worse than TGB, they still owe me money for never refunding bottles I never received, constant sales on with no stock.

Using PG I have had more clients with the same lifting as TGB, it was horrendous. Those that say they haven’t had any problems with TGB or PG will sing it’s praises until they too have problems. There have been far too many reported cases of the same problems from both white bottle brands for it to be ignored.

Before any TGB users ask I’m a qualified nail tech of 23 years, I should have known better than to use these very new brands and entirely blame myself for been sucked in by price, bottle size and longevity on clients.

I use Bio Sculpture gels and their EVO range now, my clients nails have improved immensely, yes it’s more expensive to purchase but I won’t be swayed again.

I think I’ll stick with my Jessica geleration x

I loved tgb BIAB and was in denial until I saw the issue on one of my clients. I cured for the correct time and I used their lamp. I had been using it on this particular client for about a year before this and been fine. When I saw how many other techs had had similar issues it really scared me as I used it on about 95% of my clients, whether as a builder or a base. During lockdown I retrained with Bio Sculpture Evo and I'll stick with them. I was absolutely gutted about BIAB but it worried me so much that it wasnt worth the risk. I still have unopened bottles. However I do still use the gel polishes, as far as I'm aware the gel polishes are fine and theres no known issues x

Oh I also started getting rashes, like severe eczema up my arms but this stopped now that I don't use the builder xx

Can you use Jessica geleration base coat under the gel bottle colours do you know? Also can you cure the gel bottle colours under an LED lamp or do they need UV? X x

You can use LED. I'm not sure about the base, I've always used their 2in1 base but all you can do is try. I know its not recommended to mix brands but I have in the past with no issues xx

Latest posts

Back