Advice on training please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OstaraJA

Reaction score
Hi! I've read through pages and pages of posts, so I know questions get asked like this all the time, but I couldn't find answers that completely covered my questions.

I am completely new to nails. No experience at all. I was working in an office before my twins came along and decided to be a stay at home Mum when my maternity leave ended. The twins are 1 this month and I'm so glad I'm not stuck in an office anymore, but I do need to do something to build up a career for when my babies aren't babies anymore. Over the years, I've often thought about doing nails, but never did anything about it because it's so different to what I've done before and I wasn't brave enough to take the plunge while I had a decent full time wage... but I obviously don't have that anymore

Anyway, I've got a cnd academy literally minutes away from home, so I've been looking at their courses. At the moment, my plan is to do their beginners shellac course, followed by beginners L&P. Does that sound like a sensible plan? Or would I be better off doing them the other way round? Or a different course altogether?

I've kind of discounted a college course, because the hours might be difficult to fit in around the twins, but if I train with cnd will I be limited to their products? Having done a bit of reading, it sounds like cnd is great training, but if I later decide I want to try different products, will I be able to buy them with cnd qualifications?

Any advice would be appreciated! Training seems like less of a big jump now that I'm not working and have nothing to lose, but it still feels like a big decision and I want to get it right :)

Hi! I've read through pages and pages of posts, so I know questions get asked like this all the time, but I couldn't find answers that completely covered my questions.

I am completely new to nails. No experience at all. I was working in an office before my twins came along and decided to be a stay at home Mum when my maternity leave ended. The twins are 1 this month and I'm so glad I'm not stuck in an office anymore, but I do need to do something to build up a career for when my babies aren't babies anymore. Over the years, I've often thought about doing nails, but never did anything about it because it's so different to what I've done before and I wasn't brave enough to take the plunge while I had a decent full time wage... but I obviously don't have that anymore

Anyway, I've got a cnd academy literally minutes away from home, so I've been looking at their courses. At the moment, my plan is to do their beginners shellac course, followed by beginners L&P. Does that sound like a sensible plan? Or would I be better off doing them the other way round? Or a different course altogether?

I've kind of discounted a college course, because the hours might be difficult to fit in around the twins, but if I train with cnd will I be limited to their products? Having done a bit of reading, it sounds like cnd is great training, but if I later decide I want to try different products, will I be able to buy them with cnd qualifications?

Any advice would be appreciated! Training seems like less of a big jump now that I'm not working and have nothing to lose, but it still feels like a big decision and I want to get it right :)

Hi I'm in exactly the same situation as you but I've just qualified. My son is 14months and like you I worked in an office beforehand so figured if I want to do it, it's now or never! I did a generic course and figured that way would be more of a broad spectrum of products for me to choose from. I've qualified in manicure first then gel polish, I've got my Ibx course next week then also adding threading into it (found out I was pregnant again by surprise so trying to offer more with minimal equipment to carry!) my understanding is that if you want to use CND shellac it's definitely advisable to train with them as their system is slightly different in the application compared to other gel polishes. I'm not sure how it would affect insurances with using other brands. I trained with an individual training company which worked for me as could organise it for days when I could find someone to look after my son. So long as the qualification is accredited and you've checked with potential insurance company they would accept the accreditation it is fine to not necessarily train with a brand.

Good luck abd I'm sure you'll do great!

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

There's so much to think about! I can't really afford to make the wrong decision, but I don't know anything about it, so it's hard to know what the right decision is!

I definitely think I want to use cnd products, having done a bit of reading through this site and others. But I see people posting about other (professional) brands and I'm not sure if doing cnd specific training will mean that other pro companies won't accept my qualifications or sell to me?

It's all very much "in the future" kind of worries, because it will obviously be a while before it's even an issue, but I don't want to make the wrong decision now and regret it later.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

There's so much to think about! I can't really afford to make the wrong decision, but I don't know anything about it, so it's hard to know what the right decision is!

I definitely think I want to use cnd products, having done a bit of reading through this site and others. But I see people posting about other (professional) brands and I'm not sure if doing cnd specific training will mean that other pro companies won't accept my qualifications or sell to me?

It's all very much "in the future" kind of worries, because it will obviously be a while before it's even an issue, but I don't want to make the wrong decision now and regret it later.

That's ok! I'm a newbie too so don't know 100% but I'm fairly sure that if you've trained with one, you can use another brand of product. Wholesalers will still sell to you, so long as you have a qualification and public liability you can buy what you want to. Just be aware if you do use another brand the application will be slightly different, as I know with shellac you don't need to buff the nail before dehydrating and applying coats. Plus curing times and lamps needed might be different. Cnd shellac is a good product. When I used to get my nails done, That was the product the tech used. I never had any issues and used to get about 3 weeks wear out of them. I chose to use ibd just gel as it's 100% gel and figured it'd be stronger than some of the other equivalent brands, as a lot of people I know have issues with chipping etc so hoping it will last a good length of time on my clients. Plus it was more financially viable for me to use that brand as I only had the money from my last pay slip to set up with. I felt so nervous when booking my course. But reading up a lot on this forum and general research I've definitely become a lot more confident. I've only just put an ad in a local mums group to try and build portfolio of pics before starting to advertise in other areas. Managed to get two people booked in. I'm so nervous! Luckily one of them is a friend thankfully so she'll be my test run of going through everything like consultation etc before doing someone I've never met before!

Thank you :) it's more when I do L&P rather than the just shellac - I wasn't sure if I'd be limited to cnd L&P and not be able try other brands. Could all be a pointless question anyway - I might not want to try others I'm just an over thinker!

Good luck with your first clients! It's always scary starting something new, but we'all never know if we don't try!

Hiya. Im not sure where in Kent you are, but you could also look at Denise wright nail academy.
Good luck with whoever you choose to train with. I warn you now, getting started costs a fortune!

Hi :) I'm in Sittingbourne. I did look at Denise Wright, but she's further away and I'm still breastfeeding my twins, so having the cnd academy just round the corner is so convenient, because my husband can bring them to me during my lunch break.

I've jumped in and booked the shellac beginners course for the beginning of March :)

Im in Rainham! Hi neighbour!

It's a small world! Hi!

Latest posts

Back