Advice on Training... The Next Step?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a newbie, and have just been reading months of topics - So most of my Q's have already been answered!
In March this year I decided to retrain as a Nail Tech. I completed a day course in Manicure with Ellisons Academy in Coventry, in order to enable me to complete the BioSculpture conversion course. I am now (very happily) using BioSculpture Gel system, and have also completed the Star nails 4day course in UV Acrylic, plus the Spangles Nail Art.
I am now working as a full-time Nail Tech with these systems (I'm self-employed-mobile), but I feel like a bit of a fraud, as I haven't completed any other training. As well as giving my clients moire confidence in me, I also want to be THE BEST! and whilst I am practising hard, I want to complete training that will push me harder - I would like to know how other Tech's get to be competition standard.
What does anyone think to the training I have completed so far? - and any suggestions for further training (low cost if poss!) ???
Any advice would be much appreciated...

Laura x:)

Why do you say you feel like a fraud? Do you mean coz a lot of people on here go on to do more education? Its not a case of being a fraud its a case of whether you want to improve your skills. Within the courses you've done there will be workshops that you can go on to improve so why not look into that if you want to get better. As far as cheap is concerned, you get what you pay for in this life hunny ;)

You're right, thanks!
My friends and family all tell me the same thing - but I suppose I wanted a pro's opinion on the training I've already done.
I will def look into further w/shops tho - thanx again! :)

The fact that your attitude is focused to do the best you can I think already indicates your on your way to hitting that compitition standard. I don't think it matters were you start your education as long as you continuously keep updating your skills. Ive been a nail tech for two years now and this year alone I will have completed three coures one ov which was four days long! The more you do the more your confidence will grow. All courses will offer something different, I like to try all and take all the best bits wiv me!

Good luck!

I also am considering entering a novice nail competition at the nail show next easter. I use NSI products and I knew that the local trainer for NSI in Kent does a competitions training course. I would check if star nails do the same kind of thing

Why do you feel like a fraud? Education is ongoing. If your customers are happy, don't fret and take further classes as and when. If you feel the nails you produce are sub-standard then, certainly, you need to take further classes asap. Go for the best courses - you get what you pay for.

This thread made me feel soooooo much better. I was feeling like a fraud too! I trained at home with Essential Nails, then did a manicure course with a local company and within a few months of training went mobile. I still have all of my original clients so my nails can't have been too bad! I am currently using Creative product - I know someone is bound to give me some stick for this - although I haven't done my conversion course yet as they won't allow you to do it until you've been qualified a year :cry: . I can't go back to using my old product as the Creative stuff really is the best I've tried and I WILL do the conversion as soon as they'll let me :)

I've seen some nails produced by 'fully trained' (NVQ etc) techs which have been truly awful. A few of my clients have come to me because their nails have been ruined by so called 'fully trained' techs.

Whilst I believe that standards should be set and maintained within the industry, I also believe that you can be the very best only if you are prepared to put a lot of effort into learning your craft via whatever method is accessible to you.

You'll know if you're good enough by your client retention.

Jules x

hiya jules
i mayb wrong on this, but i think it's ok for u to get some 1-1 training with your local creative educator.
phone head office in leeds 0113 275 5719, 7 check with them.
if it is ok, it would b a gd idea to do this, as they can give u some pointers on your technique b4 u can do your conversion.
good luck, & hang on in there
liza x

You aren't a fraud at all, even the best nail techs still do training to keep themselves up to date with the latest stuff. I also trained with Star Nails and did theor Total Technician course, and will be booking a conversion course in sept/ oct time with EZ Flow as love their products, plus i want to learn more.

Just keep up your training and always be prepared to learn more all the time and enjoy what you do. This will make you a better tech.

Hi All,

I'm just about to do my first ever courses. It's interesting to hear how you feel, as I'll be in exactly the same position in a few weeks time!

I'm booked on the Ellisons Manicure, Pedicure, Cleanse and Face Mask and Basic Warm Waxing courses. I'm also booked on the CND Four Days Brisa Gel course.

I'm always very particular, and a stickler for attention to detail, so I know that I'll be very thorough..... I'm very good with people, and I'm creative, so I'm sure I'll do well, I'm still worried - Will I be qualified enough to take on the public?

Can you start to charge full whack as soon as you have your certificates?

Many thanks for a great forum/website,

Noosha

i think that you need to ensure that you have done loads of practice. i know you learn everything on the course you need to know, but practice makes perfect.

i did the nvq, and im going to do a creative conversion course, the nvq was 30 days, it was held once a week, and in line with school terms etc, so it was over a year. for me (and this is my personal opinion) this was best, as we could practice on friends and family in-between classes. most of us started off with the first couple for free, then we charged just for the products, then we incorrperated a small fee for our time, and i know even now, after a whole year of researching and practice some people from the course refuse to charge as they don't feel ready!

I was lucky I seem to have picked it up quite well, probley because i had such a deep love of nails before the course, but i still take 2-2 1/2 hours to do a full set, but i don't care know, as i know im happy withthe set (and i am hard to please) and clients are happy and they are lasting really well and don't lift.

so it is more of a case of when you personally feel that you are ready to charge 'full wack' as you call it, then you can. as for qualifications, im sure most will agree, in this industry you are always learning new things. new products are always being developed and our jobs as quality technicians is to keep up to knowledge with all the developments and go on further courses, and top up courses, etc.

God, don't i just go on, fell free, if you too are going to excel, to slap me for going on, if you see me! LOL

forgot to add the quote. doh! just in case you don't realise im replying to noosha

That helps me.. I might have problems with practicing on family and friends - we've just moved to a new area! I'll just have to drag people in off the streets!

I am expecting to pick things up very quickly - I'm pretty nimble with my fingers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your much needed advice,

Ciao for now

Luckybird - thanks for your message - I've enrolled on a similar course at my local college, and having done a two day nail technician course I was wondering whether I'm just wasting my money and overdoing it so to speak, but your words really made me feel better! I did learn loads on the two day course but obviously it's nowhere near enough, and I'd feel better knowing I've done a 'proper' qualification as it were! Thanks loads! xxx

luckybird21 said:
i think that you need to ensure that you have done loads of practice. i know you learn everything on the course you need to know, but practice makes perfect.

i did the nvq, and im going to do a creative conversion course, the nvq was 30 days, it was held once a week, and in line with school terms etc, so it was over a year. for me (and this is my personal opinion) this was best, as we could practice on friends and family in-between classes. most of us started off with the first couple for free, then we charged just for the products, then we incorrperated a small fee for our time, and i know even now, after a whole year of researching and practice some people from the course refuse to charge as they don't feel ready!

I feel so much better, having read all your responses!

I've also booked on to a College Course, which I'll complete over a year (one evening per week), as I too, will feel better having that 'formal' qualification behind me. I will also feel more confident when clients ask how I went about training etc - as at the minute I feel they'd lose confidence in me if I said tht in total I've completed about 6 individual training days! However, like others, I was wondering whether I was starting to get a bit 'course-happy' and was wasting my money on more training.
Like most of you, I felt before I even started that I would be good at this line of work, as I am a perfectionist when it comes to my own nails, and have often had them done at Salons where I just wanted to tell them what to do! I'm glad that people with more experience than me agree that attention to detail with a willingness to learn and improve are all you need to be a great tech!
I suppose all us newbies need is patience, practise, and as much training as we can get our hands on! x

noosha04 said:
That helps me.. I might have problems with practicing on family and friends - we've just moved to a new area! I'll just have to drag people in off the streets!

I am expecting to pick things up very quickly - I'm pretty nimble with my fingers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your much needed advice,

Ciao for now
lol, sure they won't mind a free pampering.

when i want to try something new i do it on my husband.

i wanted to encase glitter in l&p the other day, and have the glitter as the french, so had to sculpt it. so i will do a set on him, (he has quite nice hands lol) and then remove them. this is fine as you can get application hammered, but the only prob is you will never know the durability of the nails you have done. but if youve got a couple of people who can wear nails all the time, and a couple of people who you might have to remove them on it'll be fine.

have you not got much family around at all. if i lived near, i'd let you do mine!

liza smith said:
hiya jules
i mayb wrong on this, but i think it's ok for u to get some 1-1 training with your local creative educator.
phone head office in leeds 0113 275 5719, 7 check with them.
if it is ok, it would b a gd idea to do this, as they can give u some pointers on your technique b4 u can do your conversion.
good luck, & hang on in there
liza x

Thanks Liza, I'll do just that! :)

Jules

hah ha hah, I thought my other half was the only one subjected to trial sets of nails! He complains that he can't type with them on but I think he secretly LOVES his talons! He's had the lot, L&P, gels, even nail art......... he even shows them off (much to my embarassment!!) whne we go shopping :biggrin:

luckybird21 said:
lol, sure they won't mind a free pampering.

when i want to try something new i do it on my husband.

i wanted to encase glitter in l&p the other day, and have the glitter as the french, so had to sculpt it. so i will do a set on him, (he has quite nice hands lol) and then remove them. this is fine as you can get application hammered, but the only prob is you will never know the durability of the nails you have done. but if youve got a couple of people who can wear nails all the time, and a couple of people who you might have to remove them on it'll be fine.

have you not got much family around at all. if i lived near, i'd let you do mine!
lol - I'm sure my fiance won't mind! He is partial to a bit of glitter!

Thanks for your kindness on being a model - Darren has said that there are girls at his work that would model for me, and then there's his Ma.. though, she does have problem nails. She doesn't bite them, but they are damaged from medication.. Do you think she'll be alright to take to my course?

I think she'll have to be! That's the only family really.. Perhaps the sister-in-law to be might also model? I'll have to beg! :)

noosha04 said:
lol - I'm sure my fiance won't mind! He is partial to a bit of glitter!

Thanks for your kindness on being a model - Darren has said that there are girls at his work that would model for me, and then there's his Ma.. though, she does have problem nails. She doesn't bite them, but they are damaged from medication.. Do you think she'll be alright to take to my course?

I think she'll have to be! That's the only family really.. Perhaps the sister-in-law to be might also model? I'll have to beg! :)

Best to learn your basics on 'normal' nails.

It is not good to start out working on nails that require a greater level of expetise than you will have, to do! You will only have problems.

At the Creative Nail Academy we do not allow students to bring nail biters or damged nails to any Foundation classes ... Only Master Classes.

When I called about the models nails the lady I spoke to didn't seem concerned.

The models nails are not terribly damaged - they are just very dry, brittle and have a tendency to split - is that not OK?

I'll have to try and hunt down another model if not, but having just moved to the area, I really have no-one that will be able to help. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back