Advice on visiting London please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachirv

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm taking my boyfriend to London for a suprise for his first the first weekend in June.
I've booked our train tickets, which take us to London Euston.
I'm trying to find a hotel, but have no idea where
To
Look. I've been looking in the Euston/Bloomsbury areas just because they are closest to the station, but can anyone recommend any other areas which are nice to stay?
Neither of us have been to London so I have know idea where's best to stay, or how the transport system works down there (I'm that rural that we don't even have a bus service in my village, so I'm a little weary).
Any help would be most appreciated.
Rachel

Hi
We went to London last Easter and stayed at the premier inn, Leicester Square, very central location, great breakfast, and I think it was about £500 for 4 nights (3 of us) which in central London is amazing value! and from there we did: Westminster, Covent Garden, Oxford st, Buckingham palace, Westminster/London eye, Chelsea, Camden market, harrods all easy peasy, we got Oyster cards (£5 to buy then you top up with money and swipe as you go through the underground turnstiles)then saved money on the tube, a third off I think.
Leicester squares nice itself, too, and lots of places to eat and you might catch a film premiere taking place, we did last October when we did a day trip, red carpet out and everything and saw Bradley cooper etc for burnt
Such a buzz up there, you'll love it

Booking.com is fab for getting hotels! And most of them let you pre book your room and pay on arrival.

I'd advise seeing central London by foot. You'll be surprised at how close things are and how much you'll miss if you choose the Tube. Saying that, you will find that you need the Tube for some areas; it's really simple to use and like Blossom says, an Oyster card is probably your best bet.

Booking.com is fab for getting hotels! And most of them let you pre book your room and pay on arrival.

I agree, that's what we did, they're fab

We used the hop on hop off bus tour which was good apart from it never told you when to jump off for a place! And it was hard to get back to kings cross in time so we ended up buying one way tube tickets! For places to go I love Leicester Square, soho, trafalguar square, the palace of course! Oxford street - trip to Harrods is a must and hamleys if you have little ones. I'd take hand gel if I was you for after transport I was so sick when I got back :( enjoy! x

Awww! London is so exciting!

When in oxford circus/Piccadilly circus/oxford street/bond street etc its better to walk around.(google maps is your best friend here)
The tube is great, make sure you plan your journey. Even I have to, and still get lost sometimes lol. Get a Oyster card, OR use your contactless debit/credit card for exactly the same fare price.Don't feed the pigeons or give money to beggars.
100% do a open top bus tour and book advance tickets to the London eye! Ooooooh and the Shard! Go for a drink at the Shard London Bridge!

Have fun!
xxxx

If you go to trafalguar square as well and a man starts putting a bracelet on you he will tie it on then expect money!

Camden market is a must also lots of great places to eat and drink there.

Spittlefields is a fascinating area if you have some time to spare. There's a market, plus plenty of good eateries and historic places of interest....just happens to be fairly close to The Shard at Liverpool Street station as well.

The Tower of London and St Catherine's Dock are also well worth a visit, if you've not been before.

Canary Wharf and the Docklands is a city within the city, and fascinating.

Portobello Road is a lovely area too, and a new Rolling Stones exhibition opened there recently at the Satchi Gallery.

All the museums are good, British Museum (only one with free general admission), Victoria & Albert, Natural History, Science, London Transport, Tate Modern....

Covent Garden, Carnaby Street, St Christopher's Place.

Oxford Street for every conceivable shop you could want, including Selfridges.

The Hard Rock Cafe on Park Lane, for legendary burgers.

The London Eye, provided you're not massively scared of heights like me :eek:

A river boat cruise down the Thames (but not if its raining).

It's an endless choice really ;)

Have fun, however you decide to spend your time in London.

PS: agree with all who have mentioned the open bus tour. It passes all the major landmarks, and is a hop on hop off system, just in case you want to take a closer look at something that grabs your interest.

Don't bother with an oyster card for one weekend. Contact less credit/debit card work on the oyster readers and it costs the same.

I like walking along the river from Waterloo to the Tower of London if the weather is good. It's a fair distance but you cover most of the typical London sites and there are plenty of places to stop off for sight seeing or refreshments on the way. I often do this variations on this route with a detour into Covent garden or one of the markets.

What type of things do you like doing? What's your budget for hotel? I lived there for a few years and visit often so happy to give tips x

What type of things do you like doing? What's your budget for hotel? I lived there for a few years and visit often so happy to give tips x

I've got the hotel sorted now, I've booked the thistle at Euston.
He's quite geeky, likes his marvel and Dc films, so I think he would love a museum of some sort. I want to do all the touristy sites.
Xx

Latest posts

Back