Advice on waxing please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOUISE1971

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just had an enquiry from a lady who's daughter is being bullied because she has some facial hair on her top lip and would like it waxing. She has been told by another salon that waxing can't be carried out on girls before they start their period. I was never told this at college and was wondering if any of you knew if this is right?

Thanks

I wasn't told that. How old is she?

i was never taught this either but i would think a young skin is more delicate so i would just take extra care as in use a tea tree wax for its antiseptic properties no after wax on the area ,fabric strips ,or you could do a patch test first to check for reaction this is what ive done on a younger skin and its worked for me
hth
x

She is only 11 years old and has already tried bleaching. I have told the mother i will find out for sure if this will be o.k and i will get the mothers written consent.

Use oil and wax away. She'll be fine.

I have never heard of this although i do know of quite a few salons that will not wax children under the age of 12.

I have done an eyebrow shape on a girl that was 11 with the mothers consent (the mother is a friend also) i can't say that i felt entirely comfortable with doing it and am not keen on waxing anyone under the age of 13/14 but if you are happy to do it & so is the mother & daughter then go for it.

I would also check with your insurance. Im fairly sure that the salons i have mentioned above won't do it for insurance purposes.

I was taught to wait 6 months after periods had started. My lecturer did explain at the time why but i can't remember exactly (it may have got something to do with interfering with the hair growth pattern) but don't quote me. I will text her later and ask why.

My lecturer did explain at the time why but i can't remember exactly (it may have got something to do with interfering with the hair growth pattern).
That's what she wants isn't it? :lol:

I'd be interested to know what she says. x

My daughter is 12 and I've been waxing her for over a year. Her brows and her legs. Recently we started waxing her underarms. Use oil under the wax and you should be just fine.

That's what she wants isn't it? :lol:

I'd be interested to know what she says. x

I honestly can't remember it was 3 years ago she will have explained it and I will have it in my notes I just can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

To be honest I didn't take much notice because I thought obviously wrongly that until a girl hits puberty she doesn't have excess body hair issues.

I will definitley find out why she said it tho it may take a little while to get a reply.

My daughter is a hairy little thing. Always has been. She has extremely hairy legs, which is why we started waxing them at 11. The sooner you start, the sooner you damage those hair follicles, the sooner you don't have much hair to deal with anymore.

My daughter is a hairy little thing. Always has been. She has extremely hairy legs, which is why we started waxing them at 11. The sooner you start, the sooner you damage those hair follicles, the sooner you don't have much hair to deal with anymore.

thanks for that i would have had no idea that could have been the case.

That's what i love about this site I am always learning:hug:

My personal opinion would be not to wax a very young persons face.We were told not to at college opinions may now have changed on why not to, but facial hair is often hormonal so when their hormones settle down or when they start periods sometimes the hair will go on its own.
I would have no problems with legs or arms or even eyebrows but i wouldn't do upperlips,chins or cheeks.
Yes waxing is very good but it also has its downsides it can cause spots the hair can sometimes get darker,it distorts the follicles so future electrolysis or laser maybe less effective and you still have to let it grow before you can wax again.

My daughter is 12 and I've been waxing her for over a year. Her brows and her legs. Recently we started waxing her underarms. Use oil under the wax and you should be just fine.

Use oil under the wax and you should be just fine?? Can you please explain this?

?

Very confused.... ;)

Use oil under the wax and you should be just fine?? Can you please explain this?

?

Very confused.... ;)
If you do a search on oil and waxing you will find that many geeks use a very fine oil barrier insted of talc it stops the wax sticking to the skin but as long as you only use atiny amount it still sticks to hair.I have tried it and yes it works well but i mainly use a roller system and didn't find i could use it with that,perhaps someone will say you can.

Just a quick ? - what kind of oil? And how do you apply it??

Will have a look tomorrow morning.....fels like I am burning up now.....Its the time of the year isn't it...:irked:

XX Vanja

Any oil but not anything too thick so almond or baby oil or after wax oil but not wheatgerm or olive.

I have been waxing 11 year old girl's lip regulary every 2 weeks for the last half year. The difference it made to her personality is amazing. I was a bit nervous at first but she is always so pleased with the result and never has any problem.

Hi,

I have just had an enquiry from a lady who's daughter is being bullied because she has some facial hair on her top lip and would like it waxing. She has been told by another salon that waxing can't be carried out on girls before they start their period. I was never told this at college and was wondering if any of you knew if this is right?

Thanks

never heard of it! she may be right because the hormones may need to kick in before and the hairs may disperse once the hormones settle. i have a 14 yearold sister and since the age of -well since her hairs have grown, i have been waxing them and never has touched a razor (well i hope not!) a few years down the line she has rearly any leg, underarm and bikini hair left, i also do her eyebrows and lip. meanwhile all of her friends shave everyday. i sssoooo recommend to get your daughters to wax and to continue doing it and even my sister and myself have never looked back at shaving. i now have a few 11, 12 and 13 year old clients and they will never shave. they will thank you in the future x p.s make sure mother is there for support

Aw I really feel for this kid, I would have to help her. I would suggest bleaching first tho if the hair wasnt to thick (only because of her age) but then if that wasnt working I would do the waxing for her. She will pluck, shave, cut her hair so she is not bullied and waxing would make such a difference to her.

Latest posts

Back