Advice on Wella Illumina colour please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoffgrad

Reaction score
Hi there

I am not a professional but someone who has coloured my own hair in between salon treatments. I'm in my early 60's and had coloured hair since a teenager and so with advice from past hairdresser I have picked up some knowledge. I have just moved house and went to a salon for the first time. Always a risk as it takes people time to get to know your hair and what you like. My natural base colour is a 7 - mousy blonde. Been having blonde highlights as I say since my teens and like my hair to be predominantly blonde. In recent years I have chosen to go back to my natural colour as a base and then have balayage blonde put though it. Due to age I now have grey coming through along the top/temples and I'm not ready to embrace the silver yet. My skin colouring wouldn't suit it anyway. The recent and expensive appointment didn't result in anything like what I wanted. Blonde highlights were not left on long enough (my hair takes ages to lift) and so they look muddy/dull/dark gold. I don't want to add bleach to my hair as the condition will suffer. I also never like toner.. never have.... I like the blonde to be a bright/creamy colour but not platinum. I wondered if I mix 1:1 Illumina 10/38 and 10/69 with 20 vol, and put it all over, it will brighten it up??? I would value any advice/thoughts. I spent £150 on the recent appointment and simply don't have the time to go back for a colour correction.

Hi there

I am not a professional but someone who has coloured my own hair in between salon treatments. I'm in my early 60's and had coloured hair since a teenager and so with advice from past hairdresser I have picked up some knowledge. I have just moved house and went to a salon for the first time. Always a risk as it takes people time to get to know your hair and what you like. My natural base colour is a 7 - mousy blonde. Been having blonde highlights as I say since my teens and like my hair to be predominantly blonde. In recent years I have chosen to go back to my natural colour as a base and then have balayage blonde put though it. Due to age I now have grey coming through along the top/temples and I'm not ready to embrace the silver yet. My skin colouring wouldn't suit it anyway. The recent and expensive appointment didn't result in anything like what I wanted. Blonde highlights were not left on long enough (my hair takes ages to lift) and so they look muddy/dull/dark gold. I don't want to add bleach to my hair as the condition will suffer. I also never like toner.. never have.... I like the blonde to be a bright/creamy colour but not platinum. I wondered if I mix 1:1 Illumina 10/38 and 10/69 with 20 vol, and put it all over, it will brighten it up??? I would value any advice/thoughts. I spent £150 on the recent appointment and simply don't have the time to go back for a colour correction.
20 vol will create unwanted lift elsewhere. Personally I'd start with a deep cleansing shampoo, or detox shampoo as it may be called over the counter. I imagine that muddy dull blonde you're talking about is probably from where they've allowed the base colour to act as a toner when rinsing. The cleansing shampoo will pull most of this off the blonde. Then you could use a good silver shampoo to just neutralise any yellow that's left. Colour wise I wouldn't put anything all over as this will affect your base colour, especially at the root area. Hope this helps.

20 vol will create unwanted lift elsewhere. Personally I'd start with a deep cleansing shampoo, or detox shampoo as it may be called over the counter. I imagine that muddy dull blonde you're talking about is probably from where they've allowed the base colour to act as a toner when rinsing. The cleansing shampoo will pull most of this off the blonde. Then you could use a good silver shampoo to just neutralise any yellow that's left. Colour wise I wouldn't put anything all over as this will affect your base colour, especially at the root area. Hope this helps.
Excellent. Thank you very much. There are loads of clarifying shampoos out there. do you favour one, over others? How about chelating with lemon juice?

Excellent. Thank you very much. There are loads of clarifying shampoos out there. do you favour one, over others? How about chelating with lemon juice?
My go to is usually Affinage deep cleansing shampoo or IQ clarifying shampoo

Latest posts

Back