Advice on what massage couch to buy please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitten

Reaction score
Geeks - please help me! I'm just about to invest in a portable massage couch and before I do, I thought I'd ask the trusty geeks for some help. Here are my questions:

I've seen one with wooden legs rather than metal legs and I prefer the look of it to be honest, but I'm wondering whether there's an actual difference apart from the appearance? Are the wooden ones heavier/sturdier/stronger? Why are the metal legged ones so much cheaper? What should I look for in a good massage couch? Any other advice greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, xxx

When you buy a couch, you need to think about how much your going to be using it, how long you want it to last and most of all the height you need to make sure thats its suitable so has you don't end up hurting your back leaning over. If you going mobile you need to know about the weight if its carriable. My friend as wooden one and I think its nice, its stronger than mine and sturdier and wider. She uses this at her home based salon, I have a metal legged one, but I did buy it for mobile, but now its always static, but I don't get loads of people so its ok for now, I've got say it does the job, but i would like a better one later on. My advice overall is shop around and have a good look and test them all, although i think you've already seen the one you want, so if that's the one for you then have that one. :)

Dawn

I have the one with the wooden legs and its great. Think its a little wider than the average beauty couch and very sturdy (and height adjustible). I got it for my mobile work but to be honest it is very heavy, just as well I'm opening my new salon later this month. If you do need it for mobile work check out how heavy it is first (I didnt lol) and also remember it is quite bulky too although it is easy to fold. I found it easier to carry with the case you can buy as an extra as it has a shoulder strap and the front pocket is useful too. Think the case was about extra £25 but if you do decide on this couch then let me know as I no longer need my case and you can have mine a lot cheaper :hug:

Shaza

Shaza & Dwan - thanks girls - the one I've got my eye on is in Ellisons catalogue - it's about £190 and it is height adjustable. It does stipulate the weight there, although I've got no comprehension of how much it actually is in real life! Thanks for your advice peeps! xxx

Kitten that's a big shame, I've just sold my wooden one...it was too large for my beauty room and it is v v heavy but a beautiful couch. So I would agree with what the girls have said, it's great as a static but for me personally too heavy to lug around an quite difficult to get in and out of the car.

HTH

Cathie - ahhh, that is a shame, although I'm wanting one for mobile rather than home based (at the moment!!! :wink2: ). Would have been easy to pick up too as you're based near me ! Never mind - I'll just have to place a lovely big order with Ellisons or somewhere similar! :)xxx

Hi Bea

Just had a look and the one in Ellisons is the one I have (although I got mine elsewhere). It is a lovely couch but dont believe the bit about it being lightweight, it isnt (unless you are built like Arnie LOL). I think the ones with metal legs are probably lighter but not sure if they are as sturdy.

Shaza

Hi, I brought mine from Therapy 2000 online, can't remember the site address tho. It was not expensive, I think I paid about £140, it has metal legs and is ideal for mobile work, and it came with a free case as well, so it was ideal. I have to say that I only use it for massage at the moment so between nails and massage it only has an intermediate use, come next year I might have to invest in a slightly more robust model because I intend to extend my range of treatments. But it has been ideal for what I wanted. Oh and there was a choice of colours aswell.

Kitten

If it's for mobile I'd say go with the lightweight metal frame cos those wooden ones (although luxurious) really are heavy and awkward esp lugging it from the car and upstairs etc, you'll do your back in. Hive of Beauty do a nice lightweight metal one with frame and carry case for about £130 incl VAT and delivery...I'll try and dig out the leaflet for you.

If you do want the wooden one though, Capital usually have it on their special offer week ends for about £170 incl VAT.

I am also looking into what massage bed to buy at the moment. Has anyone brought the portable one from Beauty Express? It's about £169 I think? Have just looked on The Hive of Beauty website and looked at the couch there - Kitten, do you know if this one is quite sturdy as it looks as though it could be wobbly?

Thanks guys x

hi ya i brought mine from bodycrafts its fab , very comfy, cable system so it doesnt squeek, udjustable height plus i got it from the show so got a discount on it i paid £160 for the combo beauty therapists couch take a look at their web site http://www.bodycraftdirect.co.uk/tradeshows.htmhth xx

Thanks guys, this is all really useful info! I take the point about the wooden ones being not light enough for mobile work, so maybe I'm best off going for a lighter framed metal one instead.

Emma - yours looks brill and even at £185 the price isn't bad. Is is fairly lightweight? I'm planning on using it for waxing & massage mobile to start with - what do you reckon? I might email them and ask if they're going to the Olympia show next March - can I wait that long though? !!!!! ;) xxx

hi ya

yep im using it for waxing and doing my vtct in body massage at the mo so will be using it for that as well. the combo for £220 is brill as u get the armrests witch r better if ure doing a massage and the cradel they r at most shows and really helpful e mail them.

its a bit heavy i find they all r but ive got a fishing trolley on wheels so i pop it on there so much easier xx

I'm doing the level 3 IIHHT course at the moment too! How are you findig it? We covered cells & tissues in our last lesson and my head almost exploded right there and then. I didn't realise I'd have to learn so much - I'm enjoying it though, just hoping my poor little brain can cope with it all! Do you do mainly mobile then? How busy are you finding it? Just interested! xxx

hi ya lol we just covered cells and tissues learning all the bones this week.
havent had time to do much mobile work at the mo wat with being at college and working in the evening practicing my l&p at the mo speak soon xx

Latest posts

Back