Advice Please about Hair Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klassy Klaws

Reaction score
Im looking for a bit of advise from you lovely Hair Geeks out there :)

My daughter is 15 and can leave school at christmas but she hates school so much and wants to leave asap, she has always been interested in the hair/beauty industry and wants to get into it.

There is a new hairdressers opening in our village they own 2 other salons one in Aberdeen and one in Glasgow.
My best mate who goes to one of them had recommended my daughter to them so I popped past them yesterday to have a chat.
They were lovely both guys are passionate about the industry and very up to date with everything.

While discussing my daughter he said he doesnt put his trainees to collage they do all their training in salon over 3 years then before they are ready to go onto the shop floor they take them and put them on a weeks intensive cutting course.

They feel that the local collage is very old fashioned and not up to date with new fashions and trends.
I have to say that the same collage's beauty and especially nail training is terrible so I dont blame them.

He told me that he trains them up until they want to rent a chair, he feels that people will stay in the salon if they are given the chance to make more money.
All of the girls he has have all trained with them then moved on to be self employed.

My daughter is very keen to do this after her exams which works out great for them as they are doing a refit in the shop at the moment.

My query to you guys is do you think of this and do you think it will work?

I can only speak for myself but we prefer apprenticeships, partly because they come away with a recognised qualification. And yes, I know, you don't need any formal qualification to be a hairdresser but in terms of her future career, most reputable hairdressers will not take on hairdressers unless they have a recognised qualification plus worked in a salon. So this option suits us very well but I know some will not agree.

My questions would be:

Would your daughter get a recognised qualification, such as NVQ?
Are they actually an academy or training school?

I am in no way underestimating their skills and teaching methods. Is there no other college or training school nearby?

HTH's

I can only speak for myself but we prefer apprenticeships, partly because they come away with a recognised qualification. And yes, I know, you don't need any formal qualification to be a hairdresser but in terms of her future career, most reputable hairdressers will not take on hairdressers unless they have a recognised qualification plus worked in a salon. So this option suits us very well but I know some will not agree.

My questions would be:

Would your daughter get a recognised qualification, such as NVQ?
Are they actually an academy or training school?

I am in no way underestimating their skills and teaching methods. Is there no other college or training school nearby?

HTH's

Thanks for your reply :)
They have both been and done some sort of qualification so that they can do in salon teaching and assessments so as far as Im aware she will have a qualification at the end of the 3 years.
There are a few hairdressers locally who do this as I said the collage isnt the best, it is the only one for this area.

Thanks for your reply :)
They have both been and done some sort of qualification so that they can do in salon teaching and assessments so as far as Im aware she will have a qualification at the end of the 3 years.
There are a few hairdressers locally who do this as I said the collage isnt the best, it is the only one for this area.

I would say that as long as she comes out with a recognised qualification at the end of her training then all should be ok. I would just ask them what she will receive?

If your daughter wishes to move on at some stage in her career, once qualified, (rather than chair rental) then she will have to show her certificate to most reputable salons. Obviously she will have salon experience, which is always an added advantage.

I wish her every success

From my experience Hairdressers learn better through in house training. I think it sounds like a excellent opportunity and if she is wanting to go self employed after then it won't matter whether she is nvq qualified or not. Hairdressing will always require training to keep up-to-date so if she feels after her training in that salon that she would like to do her nvq she could always do it part time whilst self employed and do additional courses to better herself. :Love:

Latest posts

Back