Advice please, acrylic nail fumes around baby

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.mrsm

Reaction score
Hi

I just wanted some advice, I've just started a VCTC in overlay systems and wev been doing acrylics today. The fumes from the liquid were just incredibly strong. I've got to practice all week but I have a 4 month old baby and I'm really worried about him breathing this in. Acetone stinks my house out so this is going to be even worse. Does anyone know if this is safe, my gut says no but I'm not sure how to practice without my house smelling?

I don't know how safe it is for baby.... I'd imagine not great for them.
To be honest practicing acrylic the liquid Is potent though my house, I make sure I'm in a very ventilated area and close the doors too the rest of the house (so either in my bedroom with all the windows open, or in the kitchen with windows open and cookerhood extractor on, but the internal doors closed)
Then I have an old cutting mat I pop on my surface and then the towel to wipe the brush on top (and also I keep the liquid on it) so that way I can wash up the cutting mat when I'm finished,
I then double bag the waste at the end and dispose of it straight away, I also keep my acrylic supplies in a toolbox so they are all sealed in with the smells, I find that once I have finished and everything is cleaned, and put away the smell doesn't linger very long afterwards.

I am sorry but even if it's safe, I would try and keep the smell as isolated and away from the baby as much as possible. I only managed 40 minutes with the smell (and the one I was using is considered low odour) and I ended up in bed with nausea and headache so I had to abandon my thoughts of learning acrylic.
Your baby wouldn't be able to tell you if it was making them feel poorly. I would follow legibones tips to minimise the smell and use a Dappen dish with a lid to reduce odour further.

Thanks for your replies, yes it's worried me too much so I've just done a few practice nails in the garden while my little boy was in with his daddy. I can't believe how much it stinks!

Hi, if you go to the new Ravair website www.ravair.co.uk you will find a lot of information regarding this subject, including for pregnant women. You can also ring for any specific advice or help. There are solutions to this problem.

Latest posts

Back