Advice please, been let down by so many nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keeley20

Reaction score
Hi :)
Just wondering if anyone could help me... I Have my own salon just doing beauty and spray tanning. Iv been trying to find a nail tech for ages and been let down by so many ladies (Think they thought they would get clients instantly and didnt want to give it time to build up) The salon wil be open a year in sept so it is fairly new but im making it work. I have had lots of interst for gel and extensions.

I have done the gel polish course (saving up to buy the kit) and just wondering if it would be a good idea to offer gel extensions too after iv done the course. At least then i can do it myself and not have the stress of finding staff and people letting me down. What do you guys think?

Suppose what im asking is could i make it work? are gel extensions popular? I know its not easy so i will really practise. Im just a bit of a newbie when it comes to the extension side of things. Hope someone can help :) xx

Hi Keeley. Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?
It is well worth it in my opinion! The Gelish that I offer has been fantastic for me & has brought me so many new clients!
As for gel extensions I'm unsure as I don't offer this service. I do offer acrylic & these also are still extremely popular!
x

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems and well done on you for getting some additional training :) Which beauty course did you do / did it cover manicure & pedicure?

First, how did your previous nail technicians let you down? Did they have poor customer service? Were their skills not up to scratch? Did they not put in much effort into their work?

If you don't mind me asking, how busy are you? Would you mind turing beauty clients down because of the new services you are offering?

IMO, "nails", especially enhancements, aren't just an add-on. There is a serious amount of information you need to know, and of course tonnes of practice to ensure they a) last and are b) beautiful.

A good nail course (I'm not talking a 5 day do everything course), costs a lot of money. And you may find you will have 0 free time outside of work because you will need to be practising to ensure you can produce what people want. Ask yourself if it is worth it for you... would it be less of an expense to pay a good nail technician? That way you would have two columns. (This isn't fact, just what I personally have found when trying to get my nails done, please don't shoot me!) It could also be that some of the "better" nail professionals are self-employed, have you thought about room-rental as well as employment? Just a thought.

I hope it works out for you :)

Wish I was in Yorkshire. I would love the opportunity and I am sure there must be others that would too. Where have you tried to source technicians from? I suppose the problem is that experienced techs with a full diary as self emploed people wouldn't want to wait for customers in a salon, and the newly qualified girls dying to get work would need to find customers which is hard when you dont have the experience. Catch 22 situation.

What a shame. If I were you I would do the course myself too that way you are the only one to rely on.

Good luck and I hope you find someone reliable in the meantime

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems and well done on you for getting some additional training :) Which beauty course did you do / did it cover manicure & pedicure?

First, how did your previous nail technicians let you down? Did they have poor customer service? Were their skills not up to scratch? Did they not put in much effort into their work?

If you don't mind me asking, how busy are you? Would you mind turing beauty clients down because of the new services you are offering?

IMO, "nails", especially enhancements, aren't just an add-on. There is a serious amount of information you need to know, and of course tonnes of practice to ensure they a) last and are b) beautiful.

A good nail course (I'm not talking a 5 day do everything course), costs a lot of money. And you may find you will have 0 free time outside of work because you will need to be practising to ensure you can produce what people want. Ask yourself if it is worth it for you... would it be less of an expense to pay a good nail technician? That way you would have two columns. (This isn't fact, just what I personally have found when trying to get my nails done, please don't shoot me!) It could also be that some of the "better" nail professionals are self-employed, have you thought about room-rental as well as employment? Just a thought.

I hope it works out for you :)
Sounds like good advice to me

hi thankyou all for your advice.

Jojo Im in rotherham :)

They were self employed nail techs that i was looking for (cant afford to employ someone) and i think that was the issue that they were losing money just been sat there. But they werent willing to give it time not even a month! They had someone in everyday and had lots of interest so i would have took that as positive but i suppose thats just me.

The only problem i have is funding for the courses and kits. But what i think i might do is start with the gel polish and then go for further training into gel extensions.

thankyou all xxx

Latest posts

Back