Advice please - bleach gone orange!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks I've come over from the nail geek for advice if that's ok please. Ok, I have had a tint on my longish hair for about 2 years now. It was a very dark brown, 1 shade away from black and I used to get my roots done every 6 weeks as I had a fraction of grey at the temples (always had done at the hairdressers I hasten to add). I felt the colour was too dark for me now and wanted to go lighter so went to another hair salon for a consultation and they did a strand test and suggested a full head of bleach highlights to lift the colour to a caramel brown (still on my dark base). Had it done last week and I was quite concerned as it took the stylist an hour to put all the foils in and I was worrying the ones she did first would be lighter, she then left the whole lot in for a further half hour (so bottom layers were in for hour and half). Anyway she removed them whilst I was at the basin so I didn't see the colour then put a "toner" over the top which she said was a "demi" colour. End result was nice, a rich toffee colour on top of my dark base. However, I have washed it twice this week and the colour seems to have changed. It is now quite blonde on tbe underneath layers (the ones she left in for ages) and tbe top layers now look patchy and have an orange tint to them! I am going back tomorrow to show them but wondered if you could advise what I should expect them to do to rectify this. For example should they put another toner on it? Should they use a longer lasting toner? (is there such a thing?)
Will anymore products on my hair ruin the condition as its not too great now as it is.
Thank you very much for reading this and hopefully I'll get some advice xxx

She prob used a very low vol proxide up the back and a stronger vol thru the top,
That's y she could afford to leave the backs on longer,
As 4 toner can't comment as don't no wot she used
But wot shampoo ect do u use at home?

She prob used a very low vol proxide up the back and a stronger vol thru the top,
That's y she could afford to leave the backs on longer,
As 4 toner can't comment as don't no wot she used
But wot shampoo ect do u use at home?

Thanks for the reply. She used the same bowl of mixture for the entire head, didn't have a different mixture for the back....
She said it was a "Demi permanent toner"
I've been using Tigi s factor shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair x

Thanks for the reply. She used the same bowl of mixture for the entire head, didn't have a different mixture for the back....
She said it was a "Demi permanent toner"
I've been using Tigi s factor shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair x
clues in the title "demi permanent" it will fade when you wash it although you should get longer than 2 washes......as for timing that's pretty standard a technician in a "real" Toni&guy or Sassoon get an hour an a half to apply a full head highlights. She should of used a lower volume developer on the back tho as previous poster said :s

clues in the title "demi permanent" it will fade when you wash it although you should get longer than 2 washes......as for timing that's pretty standard a technician in a "real" Toni&guy or Sassoon get an hour an a half to apply a full head highlights. She should of used a lower volume developer on the back tho as previous poster said :s

I know, I said I was worried it would wash out coz it was only a Demi, although I didn't expect this fast! What should they do to rectify? Should they put another toner on do you think? X

Should I ask for another toner to be put on? And what colour to counteract the orange tones???
Thanks x

:?:
Should I ask for another toner to be put on? And what colour to counteract the orange tones???
Thanks x

if you go back in, they will be able to choose the right colour to rectify the problem...as we dont know the brand they use in the salon, we couldn't advise what colour to use.

a quasi/demi would work better than a permanent over bleached hair anyway so their choice to use that is correct. it may just be that the hair has thrown up too much warmth to be successfully covered by the toner.

Thanks everyone really helpful advice, yes will go and see what they suggest x

hi folks well I went back to the hairdressers and they agreed that the lower layers had gone blonde (the foils she left in for hour and half!) and that the top layers had gone orangey. However they blamed me and said it must be my shampoo and conditioner. I've only washed it twice, with IQ coloured hair shampoo and osis anti fade colour conditioner (from capital). I wanted to get both osis shampoo and matching conditioner but they were out of stock. They did very begrudingly put another toner on it and left it for 5 mins and its back to a lovely caramel colour but now I'm scared to wash it!! Could it have been my shampoo and conditioner?? What do you recommend I use instead to make sure this toner doesn't also wash out?! All suggestions greatly appreciated and I can get to capital tomorrow to get something else.
Thank you for your help as so scared of going orange again! X

You can but Colour fresh by Wella.
This is a toner you can use yourself, it will foam up slightly, goes on wet hair and can be left between 5 and 20 mins.
There will be a few applications in one bottle. Ask someone to show you a colourchart for colour fresh, can't really recommend one without seeing it but to tone brassy hi lites i often use 8/81. this is a violet ash.

Hope this helps.

if they agreed that the underneath had lifted more than the top they should have correted this for u! dont apply a toner yourself!!!! carry on as normal with a good colour shampoo and cond, and if it fades again go back and get them to lift the top and tone, free of charge ofcourse! x

I meant for her just to tone the top section.
Im sure the salon won't keep toning it free of charge!

Thanks guys. They weren't going to give me the toner today free of charge it's only coz I argued with them that it surely shouldn't wash out after just two washes!
Can anyone recommend a gentle shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair? Is my IQ shampoo and osis conditioner no good? Xx

Anyone got any recommendations for a good shampoo/conditioner to stop colour fade???? X

your looking for a sulfate free shampoo, every brand does them. i dont know if the shampoo you are using is sulfate free have a look if not invest in one x

Great, thanks. Does the conditioner need to be sulfate free too?

i would personally buy the conditioner that goes with it, and if your finding your hair dry from the bleach use treatments too. have you ever tried macadamia/morrocan oil? great for dehydrated hair

Thank you for your help. I'll nip into capital tomorrow. I've just ordered some argan oil (never got on with the macadamia oil) so hopefully that will help with the dryness. Xx

no problem, try also not washing your hair as often and limit the amount of heat used till you build up the condition, i swear by macadamia oil why didnt you like it.

wella colour fresh the toner you are about, Wella retails this in salon our rep encourages us too xxx

Latest posts

Back