Advice please - CND, training, treatments & Professional Beauty!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larenka

Reaction score
I have had a look, want to try to not repeat other people's queries!

Am just starting out after deciding to try to start a career in something I am passionate about & hopefully less stressful than my current job! i known it will be hard & im going to continue to work f/t until I get a client base. I would work from home & mobile initially because of flexibility (should I do both? Which do you think clients prefer?) but I would like to open my own salon in the long term.

Couple of questions:

1. CND training - I did want to train with CND as I want to be able to say I have trained with the industry leader however they do not offer wkend or evening p/t courses - I can't take approx 5-10 days off work to train with them unfortunately so wondered who were the other industry leaders who offered p/t or wkend courses? I'm based in Leeds but have family in Lincoln & Notts so can stay there to train if anyone has any particular examples/ideas! I can only seem to find basic college courses where I have to buy cheap kits to use for the course, which is a waste of money initially & then I also have to pay for a conversion course to use a better brand! Pls let me know what you advise.

Also I have been informed that if I want to open my own salon in the long term that i will need NVQ Level 2? Is this correct? My council do not require licenses at the mo as far as i am aware. Do people just do NVQs or also/instead branded courses like CND, NSI etc?

2. Nail treatments - I want to eventually offer Enhancements but understand this is going to take a long time to perfect ( don't want to rush and get a bad rep!) I also want to offer shellac and master nail art & hope that I can do this while learning enhancements. Is this what most people do? Shall I just sign myself up asap on any credible manicure course to be able to start my shellac & nail art training & therefore my business? And then just worry about enhancements later? as I'm not sure who/how to train for these now because of CND.

3. Enhancements - wanted to do l&p and was also considering the new brisa as it works well with shellac (but obv not thinking of training with CND now so rethinking this?) is that too much too soon? Do I need to offer shellac, l&p and gel or shall I wait to see what the demand is for as its expensive training & stocking all?

Last point ;) I am going to Prof beauty Sun to do some research, have never been before so any useful info/tips ref my above would really be appreciated. Any brand I should def visit? Any to avoid? Anything I should def do or get while I'm there? ( I've already read that I shouldn't be tempted to buy too much before my training & have taken that on board! ;)

Thanks for your time reading & hopefully replying! I love this site & all the nights reading it has got me this far! :Love:

wow thats a lot of questions!!

Firstly the cnd courses are the best and very thorough and you get all the products you need to start (no extras are needed!) and yes the course may be 10 days but those days are spread out over weeks so you would not need to take off 10 days in one go and you may find that some of the days will be over a weekend? speak to sweet squared and discuss your options before looking elsewhere.

It is up to you and of course finance how you do your courses but yes you could do manicure and shellac and start working and earning money as well as building clientele and then move onto enhancements.

As for Excel, by all means go, have a look around, pick up leaflets and watch demos but dont buy too much. We tend to but things that we may not actually use or need just because they are on offer! but it will be a great experience for you xx

It is a bit long sorry! Didn't want to clog the boards up too much with lots of different questions ;)

Thanks for your reply. Yes i had rang up about the CND courses and found out how its spread over a few months but it is week days only. It's also actually just the amount of days holiday I would need to take - I only actually get 18 days for the whole year and that has to include my xmas and any other days off required within the year so would mean I would find it very difficult to do. If it was 5 day course or part at wkends, I could about do it but i think the CND complete course is at least 14 days in total and even the CND enhance course is 10 days. All weekdays.

Would love to hear how other people have managed their training when still working f/t... and also about the NVQ level 2 option? What are the pros/cons of doing this instead?

I'm also conscious that if I rush to just do my basic mani/pedi and shellac p/t initially to get me started, that i'll probably end up duplicating a lot on the l&p/gel course that I eventually sign up to and then also costing myself more money in the long term. So would really like to make all my training decisions now and have a (semi) organised plan! lol.

Thanks in advance for any replies! SO nice to be able to get advise from people who have already been in my position!!

ok so i would think your best route would be to do the NVQ at your local college which usually means you can do 1 evening a week. Then go on to do your conversions etc with CND. I have trained all over, i have approx 17 qualifications and i can assure you the training you get at CND is the best there is not just at the time but after your course if you are having problems. and no you will not repeat anything in your courses if you do shellac now. Each system is applied differently and removed differently and you have to know the science behind each product. xx

That sounds the best idea though I looked into NVQ last night and my local college said I'd need to be actively working in that industry already though - as its an assessed work based qualification?! Plus the next course doesn't start till sept! :rolleyes: Its as if someone is working against me lol. Had a quick look on line for other options and there is a company called 'The beauty Academy' who offer the NVQ as below link:

NVQ Level 2 in Nail Services (Flexible Study)

Doesn't seem to require me to work in the industry already. Though its a lot of home study, has anyone done this course?? Would be great to have anyones feedback on how you got on. I just worry that outside the practical study days I'm going to be at a loss! AGH. It says additional help is available but at what cost?! Don't think i have any other options though.. So think I might bite the bullet on this one. I can do practical days at the weekends, leaving me holidays to book off in the week for my conversion CND courses later in the year!

So that would mean training with Ezflow and then converting to CND. Anyone done this? How was it. I really am sad after all the good things i've heard about CND training that i'm going to miss out on the basics with them but on a positive at least I've got an industry recognised qualification (Hopefully) at the end of it!

Latest posts

Back