Advice please! Gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with everyone else, no gel on that baby! A bit of polish is just fine,it will dry in no time on her little nails, do a little hands in the air dance while its drying,and in fairness if they're not totally dry and smudge a little,who cares? She's only 5!!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't want to get into a debate on this thread. Just sticking to the topic which the user asked a question and I gave my personal opinion.
We don't all have the same view or beliefs which is what makes everyone unique and different.
Doesn't mean I am right and everyone is wrong or visa versa.
Have a good night x

Beauty at your finger tips!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to get into a debate with you. Its was just a simple question of why you would avoid vinylux but promote "normal polish" when they are the same.

I will say no more x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think using a uv gel polish on a 5 year old would be even more time consuming and possibly smudge just as much as regular polish. (Even at 27 yrs old i often bash my nails on the way in and out of the lamp) and please consider removal of such a product this is important too.
As you are not a professional could i suggest Avons gel-type nail polish instead? It dries without a lamp and lasts/looks like a gel.
I love doing my eldests nails, shes 9 and we use a regular polish designed for children that comes off in the bath. Her school doesnt permit nail polish at all so its better it just rubs off.
Perhaps consider her school policy and if you would need to be removing all the time. This could be drying and damaging to the plate or her sensitive skin.
Just a few points to aid your decision making.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Rrading all these comments yet none of you "experts" fail to see that her daughter is 5 YEARS OLD.

As she is 5 she should not be using polish or gel. She should be doing what children do!

You lot are all quick to moan when children grow up quickly yet are quite happy to encourage it!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Rrading all these comments yet none of you "experts" fail to see that her daughter is 5 YEARS OLD.

As she is 5 she should not be using polish or gel. She should be doing what children do!

You lot are all quick to moan when children grow up quickly yet are quite happy to encourage it!

LOL excuse me but if you did read all the comments this 'expert' and a few others said exactly that . My post started 'Just gobsmacked really - She is 5 years old for goodness sake

Obviously you have failed to read the thread properly. Nearly every poster has stated it is wrong on such a young age.

Little girls do have their toes and nails polished. I did, many of my friends did. My little girl does.

They play dress up, play with their dolls and paint their nails and act like little girls. There is nothing wrong with little girls having polish on their nails.

Painted toes aren't going to make them suddenly grow up and want to act like adults. My little one loves having her toes painted in the summer and I see nothing wrong with it. There are plenty of child friendly polishes out there.

Gel polish on the other hand is a no no. There is no need for it.

Beautifying kids in an adult way is abhorrent to me.
There's something just a bit creepy about it

I've not read all the replys but could you just use normal polish and put it under the lamp for her? It's highly unlikely that she will know what the lamp is for and that it only has to be used with certain polish. I would highly recommend Vinylux though it's so fast drying! X

I've not read all the replys but could you just use normal polish and put it under the lamp for her? It's highly unlikely that she will know what the lamp is for and that it only has to be used with certain polish. I would highly recommend Vinylux though it's so fast drying! X

Madness! Expose skin to uv light on such a young girl.

Ridiculous

Surrey Girl through and through x

Reactions: KHS

Quite right!

Surrey Girl through and through x

Im sorry but there is a massive difference from beautifying a child, slapping them with make up and hair done like a beauty queen to having a simple toe nail polish.

My girl has nail polish, dress up shoes, tutu's, dresses and plays with baby dolls. She is 6. She loves nothing more than dressing up like a princess and having a bit of polish on her toes. Like every little girl does.

If thats creepy then so be it. Aslong as my little one is happy I don't give 2 doo dahs.

I agree with Nails<3

There's no harm in painting a child's nails, it's not as if they're parading around on a stage in bikinis doing provocative dance routines as they do in beauty pageants. It's simple a coat of colour on a nail.

I'd say abhorrent is a bit if a strong word to describe it too.

It's not even as if the OP was asking everyone's moral stance on nail polish on a 5 year old, she was asking if it was advisable to use gel on a 5 year old. It wasn't code for 'why don't you give me some parenting advice'.

I don't think there is any question with little ones having normal polish on their fingers and toes, dressing up or playing with dolls.

The problems and debates arise when parents of five year olds start having their teeth whitened through peroxide kits bought off eBay or stiletto acrylic nails or gel polish application or have a full face of professional make up to help mummy with the shopping on a Saturday afternoon.

It just needs putting into perspective.

We will never stop this from happening unfortunately.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:

Dont 5 year olds play with dolls n pretend to be mummy to thier babies? Play with a toy kitchen and hoover? Have thier hair trimmed and put up? Have a little handbag and play shoes too? Perhaps that could be considered growing them up too quickly too? Just saying.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I hate seeing those beauty pageant girls all made up & tanned. Its just not right!

Madness! Expose skin to uv light on such a young girl.

Ridiculous
Commenting ONLY about this silly statement!!

Children are exposed to UV light every day of their lives in the normal course of events and much more of it than they would ever get in a short burst from a UV nail lamp.

It's one thing for the public to be ignorant about UV exposure from nail lamps but it is quite another when supposed professionals are also ignorant of the facts about nail lamps.

If a person chooses to let their own child wear nail polish for a bit of fun then there is no harm in it .. nor is it creepy nor weird nor dangerous for the child. Vinylux is the perfect answer .. quick drying even for the most fidgety child and it will last longer than other brands. It is a lovely polish and there are NO "various reasons" as to why anyone would choose not to use it unless they are badly misinformed.

Those "casting stones" should have a careful look at themselves and the choices they make for their children that maybe many others would think were inappropriate before making comments to the OP.

picture.php

Last edited:

Children are exposed to UV light every day of their lives in the normal course of events and much more of it than they would ever get in a short burst from a UV nail lamp.

It's one thing for the public to be ignorant about UV exposure from nail lamps but it is quite another when supposed professionals are also ignorant of the facts about nail lamps.

If a person chooses to let their own child wear nail polish for a bit of fun then there is no harm in it .. nor is it creepy nor weird nor dangerous for the child. Vinylux is the perfect answer .. quick drying even for the most fidgety child and it will last longer than other brands. It is a lovely polish and there are NO "various reasons" as to why anyone would choose not to use it unless they are badly misinformed.

Those "casting stones" should have a careful look at themselves and the choices they make for their children that maybe many others would think were inappropriate before making comments to the OP.

picture.php

Its not right putting a 5 year olds hands in a uv lamp. If you endorse this then you need to question your morals.

picture.php

Oh and while looking at your "diagram" it mentions nothing about children!

Its not right putting a 5 year olds hands in a uv lamp. If you endorse this then you need to question your morals.

Well, that remark shows intelligence and a real understanding of the FACTS presented. Not. lol

My comments were purely about your lack of understanding of any dangers present when using UV nail lamps AND as I clearly stated at the outset, I was not endorsing or remarking about children and UV lamps or wearing gel polish done by non professionals; just presenting the facts re the lamps which are there for all to see. And the facts are the facts and are as pertinent for children as for anyone else regarding the safety of the UV nail lamps.

So please don't try to deflect the focus on your silly remark by questioning my morals. Having brought up 5 very successful children to maturity and now working on 9 grand children, I think my moral values have been well tested and found to be pretty sound.

Oh I have to laugh .. some people and their trollish comments do really do kill me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gel polished my 5yros nails a fair few times, its a little treat now and then plus she gets dots, flowers stickmen gymnasts etc art.. They don't last long as they fall off.
I don't prep in any way apart from ensuring her hands and nails are clean.

She had her own nailbox with polishes, glitters, diamantes etc she is often found doing her own nails, practising on the nail rings OR painting her 3yro neices nails.

I however would not put enhancements on her nails
Nor would I give her a pony..
Sometimes a mummy just has to be mean n make some rules ;)

I should add my 22yro son was very into having his toes nails painted bright red from 2 to around 8 and he's turned out alright :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back