Advice please, male eyelash extensionist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adey

Reaction score
I've been interested in starting eyelash extensions individual. I've been practising on heads watching vids etc. Got all the kit. Now my question is. This is obviously a female oriented business. What problems sigma etc would I face if I was to start training. Things that came to mind were would you be happy a man doing your lashes. If I setup to be mobile how would you react n your friends to inviting a maleto your home. Advice and as much help as possible pls thanks x

You could maybe struggle at first until you're 'known' but I think if your work is good and you're a trusted person then it should be no problem! If I wanted my lashes done and I had a choice of a female doing a half job or a male fitting some cracking lashes I know what I would choose! :)

It wouldn't bother me one bit as long as you were good, used good quality products and were fully qualified and insured! Go for it' good luck xx

Thank you. Positive comments. Yes true know what your saying about quality of job. Something I would pride myself in. I thought well theres plenty of male hair stylists. Why not for lashes. Suppose I'd be fairly unique ha x

Thank you. Positive comments. Yes true know what your saying about quality of job. Something I would pride myself in. I thought well theres plenty of male hair stylists. Why not for lashes. Suppose I'd be fairly unique ha x
Go for it Adey! Following a passion will pay off! Best of luck x

Do you do any other treatments?

I have my eyelashes done by a 16 year old male and he is fantastic. I probably would suggest you have like an album of photos to show your work as many women would feel more comfortable seeing a males work first before jumping on the bed and getting them done. Sexist, i know but unfortunately thats just how it is. I guess its the same for a man getting his car fixed by a female, theyre a bit hesitant .

There are male make-up artists so I'd not worry. Without being stereotypical men are more technical in their thoughts. X

There are some very successful male beauty therapists on here offering far more intimate treatments than lashes. If you show yourself to be a professional complete with the usuals such as insurance etc you'll be fine. I think a portfolio is a great idea as well.

Good luck x

Thank you for more comments. Yeah gd idea for portfolio. I was thinking same bout thinking more techincal no offence. I've got my insurance readu togo once I'm certified. I know it will be a little harder so want everything to be right. Anymore advice welcome good and bad please

Do you do any other treatments?
No Other treatments. Ive just done basic cluster lashes and applied hair extensions bout 10 times

Personally I'd be fine with a male lash technician or beauty therapist.
I used to visit a male nail technician working in his front room at home - though he was introduced as a friend of a friend

BUT

I suspect that you'd be less likely to be booked mobile - largely due to ladies' husbands and partners not liking / trusting a man to visit (pathetic at times, but common).

So perhaps you'd be better finding space in a hair or beauty salon?

Check out hd brows top stylist.....a guy, and he's brilliant!
Being a male, in a female dominated market, will be your USP. :D

I have been a successful male therapist for the last 8 years, you have to try 200% harder when recruiting new clients but when you have them their keepers !!! Word of mouth and recommendations are great being a guy when you first start out but one you have established yourself as a professional gender doesn't matter

Get yourself on a good training course and make a name for yourself if you were good at your treatment it wouldn't put me off having a fella performing it and sure any good company would happily train you [emoji106][emoji106]

Well I cant fault those comments. All positive. Time to book course and get practising. Thanks all.

I have the same concerns being male but from what I've asked of clients it shouldn't be an issue. After all male make up artists etc are accepted so it should be all good :D I want to do the lashes too!! And brows!

I would prefer a male for beauty therapies of all sorts as long as they're good. I have little in common with most women and find I'm more relaxed with a male pampering me.

I wouldn't have an issue with a man doing my lashes or most beauty treatments! However I probably wouldn't invite one to my house. I'm not trying to be sexist so I'm sorry if it appears that way. I have a home salon and don't take male clients because I wouldn't be comfortable having a man I didn't know in my house. I am 21 and use crutches a lot so that could be a lot of the reason I'm uncomfortable with it as I feel more vulnerable. However I think a lot of women would be perfectly fine with it and enjoy being pampered by a man! Make sure you create a good portfolio and get your models to leave good reviews online and maybe offer an incentive to any clients that review you because reviews will definitely help people who are unsure make up their mind. If it was in a salon then I'd have no issue coming in. Also as someone mentioned above some husbands or boyfriends may not be best pleased with a male stranger coming into the house. Good luck to you and I think it's great to see more men entering the industry. When you start going mobile get stickers for your car and branded tops/ uniform it will look much more professional and put people at ease instantly. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back