Advice please, nails on 11/12 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TammyS

Reaction score
I have a customer booked in for her holiday nails in august, she has just messaged me saying her daughter wants hers doing too and as she is going into year 7 - this makes her 11 or 12 years old if I'm not mistaken - that she is going to let her have short gel extensions, I'm not sure how I feel about doing extensions on someone so young.
What would you do / say?

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had acrylics on aged 11 for my Mums wedding. It was in the summer hols before starting high school.

I think it is the parents choice, just explain they may not last as well as children have oily nail plates, and advise they come back for removal, and Mum must stay during her appointment.

Obviously check with your insurance, and you can always use the insurance as a way to get out of doing them if you don't feel comfortable. But id imagine she will just take her somewhere else.

It will make the girl feel grown up, and in the Mums defence its probably a good bargaining tool for making her behave with bribery haha.

Xx

Last edited:
I just don't know how comfortable I'd feel with doing that on a moral level, a gel polish yes but extensions on a 11/12 year old? I just think people try to make their kids grow up too fast these days 😔 no offence intended x

Aww its not permanent, its in school holidays... Its probably more of a treat for the girl, than the parent wanting to grow her child up (& I guess the parent would rather save the money!) is there really much difference between a gel polish & an extra layer of gel to create a bit of length?

The girl just wants to be like her Mum & get her nails done.

2 weeks of slightly longer nails isn't a big deal.

Xx

Yes, there's quite a lot of difference between the two treatments when it comes to accidents /injuries.

It's not necessarily the layer of extra gel, it's the actual length that causes the problem, especially if it's a stuck on tip as they're much more likely to catch than an overlay on the natural nail.

I know myself from wearing them that I don't bash my natural nails but I do with an extension no matter how short and this damage that it would cause to an 11/12 year old's weak nails isn't worth the pain, the money or the damage to a reputation. Each to their own but I wouldn't.

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

At 11 I adored my nails, I didn't catch or break them once. Ive caught my nails more being an adult, cleaning, washing etc. Plus gel is more flexible.

Xx

At 11 I adored my nails, I didn't catch or break them once. Ive caught my nails more being an adult, cleaning, washing etc. Plus gel is more flexible.

Xx
Did you have extensions on at 11?

I personally still wouldn't I just think their nails are generally too weak, I may possibly do them for a child I know but tbh I'd rather teach them to look after their nails and wear Shellac :)

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes, (as a one off) my Mum got married abroad I was in 2 weeks of false nail heaven! I still remember the day of having them done, how they looked, and admiring them all holiday. Tapping my nails anywhere possible. Telling myself as soon as I was an adult id be getting them done all the time.

(Personally I am actually much fonder of natural nail treatments now too.)

I just recall my own experience of being 11. Xx

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing extensions on a 11 year old. I agree with Emily but personally I probably wouldn't even do shellac on a 11 year old. Maybe 13 and upwards. For ages below that, just normal polish. That's what I feel is appropriate, in my opinion anyway :)

Thank you all so much for your responses, never thought about the insurance side of it, I am with ABT so will give them a call first to see where I stand there, I think because I wouldn't entertain it myself as a parent it's hard to imagine doing it on someone else's child.
You guys have certainly helped though thank you x

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back