Advice please. Starting a business with only level 2 qualification.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicola356

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a bit nervous about asking this in case I get shot down in flames but here goes, I am a mature student (38) and I have almost finished my VTCT level 2 beauty therapy course and I love, love, love it. No I am no fool and know my way around business in regards to book keeping and accounts after being the sole accounts manager for a medium sized co the last 9 years. I really want to set up my own beauty business but is it proffessionally acceptable to do this with only level 2 or is it frowned upon by other practitioners??. I am interested in doing level 3 holistic route come September as well as looking into a colonic hydrotherapy course. Am I mad to set up now or ar there people out there that DO set up with just level 2?. Any advise would be greatly received.

Thanks
Nic
x

Everyone is going to tell you to work in a salon and get some experience first. That is what you should do really. I got a bit of experience in salons and spas but I really hate it. I temp in London just for a few tips here and there but I mainly run my own mobile business. I also just finished my foundation degree today. It all depends how much work and effort you are willing to put in. Good luck x

Well I would say of course you can!! I did :cool:

And during my first year of trading I studied for my level 3.

If you have the confidence, knowledge and determination I really don't see why anyone would or should frown upon it. You'll only be offering treatments that you're qualified in so thats not a problem.

Go for it and I wish you every success :hug:

Why not? I trained last year in manicure, pedicure and nail enhancements - left my job of 7 years the week I qualified and now Im self employed. I'm not going to lie - its been difficult building a client base but that's the way it goes in a new business and nothing to do with the qualifications.

I qualify for beauty level 2 next month and will continue to add to my skills but until then... If you have knowledge in business and a good head on your shoulders then your experience will come in time.

I read everything to do with the industry - I've spent hours reading books, websites and everything I can get my hands on.

If the passions there you can do it.

Good luck x

I would say go for it if your confident in what you do. I am in the same position but i am qualified in shellac, minx, microdermabrasion etc and am still nervous to start up. You shouldnt worry about what other people think! Good luck xx

Well I would say go for it! I did exactly that. Finished college last June and started my home salon business in July. Its been hard work but brilliant and I'm fully booked every week. Its what I was always planning to do and I practiced every nite while I was at college. I didn't want to take a job first as in my area there is so much hassle if u leave and start up on ur own. I do miss having work mates and being stuck in the house all day/evening does get to me a bit but now I have a good client base I would like to rent a room in a hair salon or something. I didn't do level 3 because I wasn't really interested in the modules apart from massage which I intend to do on a evening course at some point. I did courses out with college for gel nails, nail wraps and spray tan. Hope this helps! Go for it!

Hi All,
I am a bit nervous about asking this in case I get shot down in flames but here goes, I am a mature student (38) and I have almost finished my VTCT level 2 beauty therapy course and I love, love, love it. No I am no fool and know my way around business in regards to book keeping and accounts after being the sole accounts manager for a medium sized co the last 9 years. I really want to set up my own beauty business but is it proffessionally acceptable to do this with only level 2 or is it frowned upon by other practitioners??. I am interested in doing level 3 holistic route come September as well as looking into a colonic hydrotherapy course. Am I mad to set up now or ar there people out there that DO set up with just level 2?. Any advise would be greatly received.

Thanks
Nic
x
I'm so glad u done this post. I finish next Tuesday level2 start level 3 sept have done loads of short courses too. I just wanna work for myself tbh reading this has made me feel alot happier xxx

Well I would say go for it! I did exactly that. Finished college last June and started my home salon business in July. Its been hard work but brilliant and I'm fully booked every week. Its what I was always planning to do and I practiced every nite while I was at college. I didn't want to take a job first as in my area there is so much hassle if u leave and start up on ur own. I do miss having work mates and being stuck in the house all day/evening does get to me a bit but now I have a good client base I would like to rent a room in a hair salon or something. I didn't do level 3 because I wasn't really interested in the modules apart from massage which I intend to do on a evening course at some point. I did courses out with college for gel nails, nail wraps and spray tan. Hope this helps! Go for it!

Did exactly the same as you and work from home too. Will of been working for myself for almost a year, will be a year in June.
Client base is building really well and my clients love coming to my home.

To the original poster, go for it, its hard work but you won't regret it! X x

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

Absolutely go for it as long as you're carrying out treatments that you're qualified to do and you do them well with a professional approach whilst taking brilliant care of your clients YOU WILL SUCCEED!!!!

I'm only qualified to level 2 NVQ ( a very long time ago ) and I'm totally focused on natural nail care. Having the NVQ In the bag allowed me to train Product specific with CND and Hand & Nail Harmony which has been fantastic ! I am committed to my clients and my professional And personal attitude has ensured I am busy.

I will look in the future to learn in a modular approach taking on the treatments I want to offer rather than a general NVQ that may not be as focused. In order to do this you just need to research your brands and go for the Companies that offer the best products with the best support and training like CND and Harmony.

Good luck I am sure you are going to be a great success if you put in the effort. And if in time the NVQ Is right for you then you'll be set with a great range of treatments !!

Hugs xx Claire 😃 xx

I honestly believe having a bit of age behind you is a REAL plus. You have life skills and knowledge that younger people don't. I'm 27 and I know I will make a far better therapist when I train this year than if I had done it at age 16/17. Have faith in yourself and do everything to a high standard and you will be onto a winner x

Ohhhhh and I forgot to add that I am 36! And yes having some life experience is an added bonus it really can stimulate conversation and you can relate to people of ALL ages !!

:) xx

Thank you for your response I realy appreciate it and your right about the age thing, I am one of the oldest in my class but have to say although I like a laugh I am a bit more level headed, really want to do it and get stuck in where as some younger ones would rather sit gossiping.
Thanks again
Nic
x

Hi Thanks for your response, I value peoples oppinion especially those who are actually in the industry.

Thanks again
Nic
x

Thanks for your reply, and well done you. I am under no illusion that it will take hard work and determination but I know I can do it.

Thanks again
Nic
x

A bit high 5 to us nervous newbies lol. Thanks for your reply and the best of luck to you too.

Nic
x

Well done you :). Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am feeling really confident now after having all these lovely and honest answers.

Thanks again
Nic

You too Vicki, you are right about what anyone else thinks but I just got a bit twitchy after a comment someone at college said, but I am older and wiser and have my head firmly on my shoulders not in the clouds like some of my younger fellow students. I am very determined and work very hard in whatever I do, I am one of those if its not 100% Its just not good enough and really beat myself up about it lol. Thanks again for the reply and all the best of luck to you.

Nic
x

Oh Karen, thank you so much for your response you sound simular to me and my situation, I too have handed my notice in to leave a job I have been doing for 9 years. I really want to succeed and I am determined. I know its not going to be a walk in the park especially when your used to a set wage every week but my motto is lifes too short to be tied to someone elses coat tails making them richer when with a bit of graft you can do it for your self. Thanks again and I wish you all the best for the futer. You go girl, big high 5 :).

Nic
x

Thanks pink bunny. Fair play to you and thanks for your honest words of encouragement.

Nic
x

alot of clients not all so dont shoot me prefer a mature therapist who can they can relate to. also even when you qualify in level 3 there will still be new treatments brought out or ones you wish to add to your skills and plus it takes money to keep buying new products everytime you want to add services to your menu. So go for it, start earning some money and building up a clientele, then when you are qualified in more you start adding.

am hoping this makes sense!!!xx

Latest posts

Back