Advice please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there,

Could someone give me some good advice for my hair...

I've gradually gone from brown to 'blonde' through having my hair highlighted.. It has taken a while because of such a colour change and have had to have it done over quite a period of time to get it to the lighter colour that it is now.
However, because of my stupidity and ignorance I have now found that my hair is extremely brittle and damaged! Yes, ive had the highlights done at a salon each time, had it cut at the same time each time and had the occasionaly conditioning treatment - but i was using straightners every day too which i think has really finished off my hair! :-(
Im sat here now with a conditioner on, wrapped up in a cap to give it another 'treatment' which im doing weekly at home (not proffessional heat treatments just conditioner and wrapping up!). Ive packed away my straightners and hair dryer for about a month now, my roots are around 1 -1.5 inches now and im not planning on any more highlights until the end of June to give it a rest..

I was thinking of going back a little on the colour and maybe instead of having highlights, have some low lights put in instead - would this be better for my hair instead of the bleach highlights? I would go back to brown but i have the problem of lots of greys coming through withing a few days of having a brown put on - thats why i chose to have highlights to try and blend them in instead!
I vow NEVER to get the straightners out again! Its easy to say all that i've done wrong and im gutted but instead of moping about it I just need some really good tips to get this sorted (well as best as can be!).. Ive had the lectures off a good friend who does hair (and grateful i am too for her honesty!)...!

Obviously this sunny weather isnt going to help so apart from wearing a cap - are there any other products i can use to protect it from U.V damage? How often should i get my hair trimmed? What do you reckon about the pros and cons of low-lights etc?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! I feel like such an idiot!

Firstly, just get the regrowth highlighted, not the whole lengths of the hair. Buy a good salon conditioning treatment. All the geeks can tell you their favourites, mine is redken.
Putting more colour through the ends will make it worse, not better.
So if you are happy with the colour, then work on the condition with treatments and trims, no more playing with colour on it.

hi, you can still stick to the highlights but just have the roots done and dont have the color ran through the mid lengths and ends every time you go as this will damage the hair. while you are waiting for the roots to take, have a nourishing conditioning treatment ( wella infusions are excellent) put through the mid lengths and ends of the hair, that way it has plenty of time to soak into the hair and helps with the repairing of it. also when you do straighten your hair use a heat protection spray every time. this will help to protect the hair. i recommend flat iron spray by wella. it contains oils that act as a barrier against the heat, whilst penetrating and conditioning the hairs cuticle, you will end up with (if used every time you straighten your hair) silky shiney locks.... finally carry on getting your hair cut every 6-8 wks to keep the split ends at bay.. good luck, hope this helps

Latest posts

Back