Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FeelingLippy

Reaction score
Hi just after some advice please. I am based in queensland after moving from western australia. I have just taken on the rental of a room in a massage clinic and will be offering all beauty treatments. I haven't rented a room before, always been in salon, both as Therapist and Manager. The owner of the clinic has two rooms and she has three massage therapists (including herself) who all work self employed at different times. I have been given the smaller room and have use of it every day except Wednesday - as she needs both rooms for massage on a Wednesday. The clinic is closed on a Monday but I have a key and can open if I want - which I will do. She has given me the room rent free for the month of December with the agreement that in January I start paying rent - either a percentage of what I earn or a set amount, we will assess in January. I have just re-located to the area and so have no client base yet, when she offered me the room she said that all her existing clients have been asking for beauty services as the clinic was a salon prior to her taking it over and it did really well - it only closed because of the Owner having cancer. She wants me to work self-employed but operate under her business name, which i am happy to do. My taking on it is that it is my responsibility to get clients in as i am self-employed but I can't advertise because it is her business name. I can't get leaflets made to do a drop or posters made to put on the walls. I have bought a whiteboard a-frame to put outside and have posted on her Facebook page. Does anyone have any advice on advertising in this situation? I will speak to her this week about having some leaflets made up but i am concerned as we are running out of time - we are closed in between xmas and new year as she is getting some work done in the clinic. I am going to have to start paying rent in January but at this rate i won't be earning and January is a quiet month - although not as quiet as uk as it is our summer here. I am aware it will be a slow start as I am so new to the area but really need to work with her to advertise. IfI was working under my own name I could be more pro-active and would be doing so much right now with leaflets and posters and price lists.

Also, are there any Australian Therapists who have some knowledge of what the average rate of rent is for a beauty room. Is it usually a set amount or a percentage?

I don't understand why you can't advertise or do leaflet drops while you work under her name. Are you allowed to mailshot her client base? Could you be there when her clients come for their appointments and offer them a taster treatment? When you start the new agreement in Jan, say you pay her a % to start with, will you be able to change it to a fixed rent when your base grows?

I've no idea what the tax situation is in Oz, but that set up wouldn't really work in the UK.

If you're self employed here, you are a separate business entity and so couldn't trade under the same name as the Salon. The Tax Inspectorate would definitely be asking awkward questions of both you and the Salon owner.

If you're new to self employment, it will be worthwhile getting some expert legal advice before you enter into any agreement with her.

Also, make sure you get a written agreement once you have clarified the basic terms. You don't want to work hard building up a nice little business to find yourself kicked out of the room or the victim of a massive rent hike and no redress.

Hopefully the commission offer is decent for your start & see if shes willing to go self/rental when your requests reach a certain amount for the rental price value.

I do not see the problem advertising with the shops name, this is where people find you, use her logo or whatever & tailor your info/specialties/first time deals etc.

Every shop I've worked, I have used their card template with my name & done my deals/promos independently in shop name focused on what I offer.

Latest posts

Back