advice please..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
I have a question to anyone who feels honest enough and comfortable enough in answering is this..

~Has anyone ever come off antidepressants..

My Doctor has told me that i can never get off these damn tablets.. I had a second opinion and he said the same.. that I am likely to fall back in a rutt.. I WILL NOT!! and i resent the fact that these people think that i am not strong enough without them..I apparently have low seratonin in my brain but i managed fine for 20 odd years without them..

I think it foolish for me to do so without Doctors supervision and have read the blasted label warning not to, but i resent taking them and i want to come off them. I will not do anything without my docs support so please do not think i am asking for anything other then some feedback..

If i have to i will continue with the tablets.. I have always said, If some-one has high blood pressure they take a tablet.. whats so different with anti- depressants.. I Think Mental Health should be pulled out of the dark and given a realistic point of view..

More info in my blog.. but i thought I'd spare the sob story and just say it straight in the hopes anyone can help..

http://www.salongeek.com/blog.php?b=3980 ..If your interested

Hey hun, My hubby is on antidepressants. It isn't a matter of how strong you are. It is how your brain is functioning without the levels of the meds.

Everyone thinks that if you are depressed and need meds it is because you are at a vulernable time . This is not true! It is a chemical imbalance in your brain.

Nothing to be embarassed about. 80% of peeps out there have some type of depression and don't know it or don't want to address it.

My hubby has tried to go off his several times and he thinks he is doing well but in real life, he slowly becomes very uptight, stressed and snappy with everyone.
Can we say..Male PMS major time here.
It has nearly cost us our marriage a few times.

The correct way of coming off any long term med is very very slooowly.

I take a natural dietary supplement called Mood Support Formula by Weil. Ask your doctor(s) if this could be a choice for you.
When I start to feel a bit down, I take one everyday for a week, then I seem to snap out of it.

I agree with you. I hate having to take meds also but if our lives depend on it..well so be it.

:hug:

Think about this... would a diabetic come off their insulin? It is not just a matter of being strong or not. You might be able to have your dosage adjusted so you are on the least amount required. Everyone has different requirements. Perhaps 20 years ago your brain was producing enough seratonin. There are many different factors that can precipitate depression (stress,tragic events, family history of depression etc) and then again, there are also different levels of depression. You need to trust in the advice that the professionals are giving you and work with them.

WILL NOT!! and i resent the fact that these people think that i am not strong enough without them..I apparently have low seratonin in my brain but i managed fine for 20 odd years without them

This is the problem hun ! No one thinks this,only you.

If you still need them keep taking them,so what ? You take a pill every day,think of it like the contraceptive pill or whatever.

As long as you stay happy and healthy for that beautifull family of yours,who cares.

And tbh i doubt the doctor would say you still need them if you don't,comming off them is likely to do more harm than good,we have to trust the medical professionals to look after our health :hug:

This thread may be usefull to you hun http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/42242-post-natal-depression.html

I just wanted too add that i have had several depresive episodes,and been medicated,i ought to have stayed on the medication,but though i had something to proove,i feel like i am waiting for the next time and wish i had listened to my doctor,i wouldn't have been me failing like i once thought.

I understand exactly what you mean Chels. I was put on them after the birth of my son 2 1/2 years ago and I am now also beginning to really resent the fact that I'm on them.

In fact just this week I have decided to reduce the amount I'm taking. I take 2 a day and for the last couple of days I've only taken 1 1/2. I'll do that for a month, then reduce it by 1/2 a tablet again. Although I have to say that I've already noticed a difference, (or should I say my kids have :o). Could be psychological though.:irked:

It's tough, and I hate that I 'need' them, I hate that they made me put on weight and I hate that regardless of all good intentions there is still a horrible stigma attached to anti-depressants, even though as JD said it's just a medical condition.

:hug::hug:

Hi
I dont generally post any replys but thought that in this case i should. I have been on and off anti depresants for the past 9 years starting when i was 17. I like you have thought that i was well enough to come off the tablets and that i would be fine, how wrong was I! I have been off the tablets for about a year now, thats without my doctors authorisation and can honestly say that i do need them as without im a time bomb waiting to explode. Or so i think!
My fear is becoming addicted to them and hating the side effects of them but I am realising that to live as normally as possible i need them.
Sorry i dont know if that helps as it was a bit of a ramble

Hi
I dont generally post any replys but thought that in this case i should. I have been on and off anti depresants for the past 9 years starting when i was 17. I like you have thought that i was well enough to come off the tablets and that i would be fine, how wrong was I! I have been off the tablets for about a year now, thats without my doctors authorisation and can honestly say that i do need them as without im a time bomb waiting to explode. Or so i think!
My fear is becoming addicted to them and hating the side effects of them but I am realising that to live as normally as possible i need them.
Sorry i dont know if that helps as it was a bit of a ramble

More then you think mate!! Your reply is honest and scary because its real!! I think im having a WOW i feel great moment in my life and not realising its because of the tablets not in spite of them!! :confused: if that makes sense!
I do get side effects.. but maybe because i am not taking them the way i should.. (like every morning not every second day:smack:)

I cannot thank everyone enough for being so open and caring.. You know when i first went to a doctor about my problems she said "well, you dont look like the type who would be house bound" hmm what does someone who has panic attacks look like? owning up to my problem and not hiding from it has helped..

So.. i have decided to stay on them for the time being.. your post cemented the choice i made.. thankyou so so much and i wish you well..:hug:

You know when i first went to a doctor about my problems she said "well, you dont look like the type who would be house bound" hmm what does someone who has panic attacks look like?

What a ridiculous thing for her to say! That's made me so cross!:irked: I'm glad you've made a decision, hun, and have posted on your blog.:hug:

I havent read all the replies,
but I did come off anti depressants on my own, doctor said not too, but i started to feel better so I did it anyway .
Its was very silly, and I soon went downhill again.
Ive not been too good recently , I have had my good days, but the majority are low and horrible,

obviously the same I realise I only felt better BECAUSE I was on the tablets, I think i thought at the time "oh yay im cured" :rolleyes:
as soon as the kids go back to school , im off to see the doctor again xxxxx

Hello there :)

I have been suffering with bipolar disorder (manic depression) for approx 10 years. I have felt exactly the same as you and many a time thought "yay, i feel better now, I can stop the meds"
My god what a mistake:irked:
Each time I have done this I have been ok for a while and then slowly fallen down that hole and ended up in my quilt in my bed crying for days!!!!
I have now stopped being so daft and have decided to take my meds daily even if i feel great:!:
As I know if I stop It just makes things so much worse. I hope that you have got a supportive partner and family around you as that makes all the difference. My mum and dad are extremely supportive but I have a partner who understands depression as he says he has it:irked: buthe says that the ONLY way to deal with it is work full time, and keep busy doing things at ALL times. He does not understand why I am in bed crying alot. He says get up go work and you will be fine???????? I have not found this to work at all and it does drive a huge wedge between us.
I believe that depression etc is not really looked upon as a proper illness as such and I think this is very sad. People have made fun of me in my current job and said that I am lazy and bone idol. There are days when I cant go out the door and people see this as me being useless.
Please keep taking the meds hun, if it gives you even a slightly better quality of life then its bloody worth it:hug::hug:
if ever you need to chat just PM me :hug: xxxxxxxxxx

Hi
I have been off the tablets for about a year now, thats without my doctors authorisation and can honestly say that i do need them as without im a time bomb waiting to explode. Or so i think!

Nick Nailed this one.
I don't take prescribed meds so I am saying it from the outside of the circle here and this is how my hubby is. It takes about 3 days of him being off them for the emotions to start showing thru.

Did you know that depression..any forms... can be hereditary? We have found that my whole husbands family is on anti depressants and now I have to watch both my boys extremely careful for signs. The problem is how to approach them about it.

:hug: Big hugs here for you Littlegrohl

Think about this... would a diabetic come off their insulin? It is not just a matter of being strong or not. You might be able to have your dosage adjusted so you are on the least amount required. Everyone has different requirements. Perhaps 20 years ago your brain was producing enough seratonin. There are many different factors that can precipitate depression (stress,tragic events, family history of depression etc) and then again, there are also different levels of depression. You need to trust in the advice that the professionals are giving you and work with them.

This is soooo spot on. I have a friend who is a diabetic and has been on insulin for thirty years. Every now and then he has a similar reaction to taking his insulin as you have to taking your tablets - 'I hate this stuff, it's not fair, why do I have to stab myself with needles several times a day, I've got enough medical problems without having to take this as well.....'. But he carries on with the insulin for the same reason that you need to take your tablets - because there is a problem with the make-up of his system that makes it dangerous for him not to take his medication.

You are not on anti-depressants because you feel a little bit under the weather, you are on them because you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, in the same way that my friend has a chemical imbalance (just a different chemical). You need to replace that chemical by taking a tablet, just as he needs to replace the insulin by injecting himself with it.

I'm glad you've decided to carry on with the meds. But if you do decide at some point in the future that you want to come off them, please do it under your doctor's supervision.

Hi Littlegrohl,
Keep taking the tablets!
I'm on antidepressants too, and every so often I think I'm doing a lot better, and stop taking them. Stupid I know, as I'm on a pretty high dose and just stop taking them for a few days, rather than trying to gradually reduce the dose over months. Within a couple of days I begin to feel a bit weird, and so start them again.
I did this midweek last week, and had a terrible Sunday (I'd restarted them by then). I've been doing stupid things this week, like leaving my boot lid up, with my computer in it, while I went shopping. Luckily nothing was missing (I think!) The trouble is I put on a "brave, smiley face" so people don't realise I'm not doing great. People in my work said to me on Monday that I looked rested, when I'd really has a rotten weekend.
So, you're not alone having depression and being on anti-depressants. My doc says I'll be on them for several years, gradually decreasing the dose until I'm on a maintenance dose. Remember It is an illness, it's not that you are lazy, or fedup. You need the tablets to make you well, so don't worry about taking them.
Marion xx :hug::hug::hug:

Right heres my take on this........ If you have clinical depression or any other mental illness then you MUSTN'T stop taking your meds it is what keeps you well. I know there are different types of depression and people who have mild depressions and pnd etc can come off meds once they are well but a word of caution some people get severe withdrawal symptoms when trying to stop anti-depressants so this should always be done under the supervision of a doctor and reduced very slowly. I am one of those who needs to take meds to function and this doesnt mean I am weak or cant cope it means I have an illness like any other that requires meds to keep the balance.
I have mixed opinions on this subject because 20years ago when my illness started I was in a small group who took meds daily now I have noticed that the world and his wife seem to be taking anti-depressants I blame this on gp's who rather than sort out what is making a person feel down which could be money probs etc they just dish out drugs.

So have any of you found that your meds made you put on weight?

Mine did, or rather the minute I started them I stopped losing by baby weight and put on.:cry: And this is why I want to come off them because if I'm honest I do feel so much better with them. I just don't want to be fat!:mad:

So have any of you found that your meds made you put on weight?

Mine did, or rather the minute I started them I stopped losing by baby weight and put on.:cry: And this is why I want to come off them because if I'm honest I do feel so much better with them. I just don't want to be fat!:mad:

Some can cause weight gain but also people tend to be more content and eat more when well than when depressed.

Hi just to let you know i came off antidepressants when i found out i was pregnant in 2004 id been on them for about 1yr the doctor wanted to put me on a lower dose because they didnt think i was strong enough but i didnt want to so the doctor helped me come off them altogether and i havnt been back on them since im not saying its easy as i do feel sometime should i go back on them but then i look at my daughter and she seems to make everything ok again so i suppose its upto you as a person and only you will know if you can cope or not so i wish you all the luck in the world and i really do know what your going through take care of yourself lianne x x x:)

Thanks to everyone who gave advise..
Yup i have put on weight, Im not sure if its the meds or just that im not 20 anymore.. but i love my curves.. I look at pics of stick thin me and wouldnt want to be that girl again.. I have BOOBS now!! yipee!

I dont think that taking tablets is weak.. I think the strondest people are alaways the ones who have life experiance.. but i thought that i was strong enough now to stop.. but im not.. so i wont.. I realise that i still carry alot of guilt when it comes to making the decision the split up my family.. My girls lost dad because of my pride.. BUT.. how much respect would i have for myself if i let him stay.. So many angles to look at it from but im afraid at the end of the day, I did what was right for ME..

I dont think i will ever get the cheaters mentality.. :confused:

I haven't read all the posts so apologise if Im repeating whats already been said.

If you need them, you need them...no shame in that. I've was prescribed them after the birth of my first and second child. My mum has been taking them since I was about 14yrs and she will be on them for the rest of her life (very low dose now).

My mums previous doctor was fantastic. He advised her to always take them. Just a very small dose, but it would be enough to help maintain mum's moods. Since moving, her new doctor suggested reducing the dosage even further to eventually stop them. Within two months, mum was back to very dark days.

I do believe that it can run in families. I'm very much like my mum:lol: up and down like a yoyo ( ask my poor husband), but I also think 'some' doctors give it out too easily.

Great thread.xx

Thanks to everyone who gave advise..
Yup i have put on weight, Im not sure if its the meds or just that im not 20 anymore.. but i love my curves.. I look at pics of stick thin me and wouldnt want to be that girl again.. I have BOOBS now!! yipee!

I dont think that taking tablets is weak.. I think the strondest people are alaways the ones who have life experiance.. but i thought that i was strong enough now to stop.. but im not.. so i wont.. I realise that i still carry alot of guilt when it comes to making the decision the split up my family.. My girls lost dad because of my pride.. BUT.. how much respect would i have for myself if i let him stay.. So many angles to look at it from but im afraid at the end of the day, I did what was right for ME..

I dont think i will ever get the cheaters mentality.. :confused:
I'm really glad that you have decided to stick with the tablets :hug:

For as long as I can remember (26 years :eek:) I have been on and off the "potty pill" but for the last 9 years I have continually taken them - why? because it keeps me as well and as sane as I can be!

If I miss them, then I am an emotional wreck and I would rather pop a pill then inflict that on my loved ones :hug:

People who have said it is an illness are right - serotonin is a much needed hormone - and it is well documented that lack of it makes you depressed.

So if you have to take some tablets so what? Your health is yours to look after - other people who think it is ridiculous for you take tablets don't usually have a clue!

Life experiences are character and strength building and I believe that depression is the "curse of the strong" - why else would we worry? if we were easy going it wouldn't matter what people thought of us!

As rightly said in an earlier post depression is hereditary - and therefore if it has been diagnosed within your family, then you could be predisposed to it anyway :hug:

As for the weight thing - I am the heaviest I have been in the whole of my life - but I do know that it is all a vicious circle - depression/eat/more depression/hide away/eat ....................

It's hard but there are lots of hugs and support for you here :green::hug:

Latest posts

Back