Advice, please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMcNamara

Reaction score
I've had my license for nearly two years now. I recently was given the opportunity to get behind the chair. Working as a stylist for a good two months now, I have NO clientele besides family and friends.(Thank you, Maternity leave!) (boo, I know.) Even after trying to market myself and handing out business cards-- still no walk-ins.

ATM, my boss won't let me advertise myself in the local paper or on craigslist.

What the hell do I have to do? Run down the road without a bra on?

Today I called up a salon that has a lot of business, but I'm afraid if I quit the job that I have now--I'll be labeled as a salon hopper.

Anything?

i had this when i changed salons and witin a year i was only making coffee and doing reception and was depressed -it was only when i fell pregnant that i realised that i needed to get out for the sake of my career and my child and joined another salon . id give it till 6 months and then you can say youve given it your best shot and hold your head high in interviews .

why wont she let you advertise? are you renting a chair or are you employed? if you are employed then you should totally have your boss put an add in the local papers. When i qualified my boss took out an add in the paper saying that i was taking bookings and as an introductory offer, cut out the add and get a ten % discount for the next month if they booked in. I was relativly unknown at that point but i have alot of regulars because of that now.
Also other than that any walk ins i did get or jus anyone booking in on the off chance of an appointment, i always asked if they would lkike another appointment booked in or write my name on a card for them when they left.
xx

What!!! They won´t let you advertise yourself!!!!! How do they expect you to build a clientele???? Okay here is what you do, offer clients that recommend a free haircut or blowout for each new referall. Go to your local bridal shop, photographer, baker and ask if you can cross advertise with them, what this means is that you leave your business card with them and take theirs with you to hand out to your clients. Go to your local popular hangout or bar find a really attractive girl that is outgoing ( works the reception coffee house etc) Has lots of contact with tons of people during the week and offer her your services for free. Give her a kickass makeover and tell her please refer anyone that compliments her hair to you. Do this with 2 or 3 girls a year and I can guarantee a steady stream of new clients, cause everybody wants to look like the hot girl that always has the great hairstyle. Good luck and remember you always have to market yourself.

Latest posts

Back