Advice - quitting nurse training to pursue hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Softsofa

Reaction score
Hi!
Sorry I would love some advice. I'm currently a student nurse I have 20 months left, I enjoy the course but I don feel my heart is in it. I want to get back to hairdressing. I'm currently 6 months pregnant and have a 12 month old.
Would I be able to enrol on a hairdressing course and get assistance with childcare? My only concern is childcare. I would just love some advice or if anyone has been in this situation? Thank you
Soph xx

I really think it depends in your income.i work in health service as well and am training in beauty but with expenses of a home,bills etc I was unable to give up a full time salary.so I opted for training for beauty and holistic therapies part time.down side is you are entitled to basically no financial support if u work.you would need to contact local social security office to query what benefits u would be entitled to,but I'd be inclined to stick with a steady career then do hairdressing on the side.

Thank you for reply! Well I'm on a bursary at the moment which isn't great better than nothing obviously! I can do spray tans at home and I'm training with flirties lashes in two weeks. Bill etc should be ok it's just childcare. I'd love to do an apprenticeship but not sure if I'd get working tax credits. Ill have to call jobcentre on Monday!

I would also be thinking what if this industry doesn't work out can you go back and finish your course? I think back up plans do help stability a lot. I wouldn't want to give up something I worked for if I can't go back. I did a similar thing. I hated my uni course but I finished it because I couldn't go off and do what I wanted to do and go back and finish it. So for me I had no choice! Hope you work it out x

Thank you! I think deep down I've decided that hairdressing is for me I wanted to do it before nursing but have been pressured a lot into this. I suppose I'm going to have to go with my heart!
Hope it works out.
I don't suppose anyone knows if too are
Entitled to working tax credit whilst being a apprentice? Otherwise I just couldn't afford the child care at the moment!
Thanks x

Sorry I don't but i do think there is only a certain amount of hours you can work to qualify for it,best to contact social security for a definite answer.All the best with it

Thank you! I think deep down I've decided that hairdressing is for me I wanted to do it before nursing but have been pressured a lot into this. I suppose I'm going to have to go with my heart!
Hope it works out.
I don't suppose anyone knows if too are
Entitled to working tax credit whilst being a apprentice? Otherwise I just couldn't afford the child care at the moment!
Thanks x

Oh my life! Run for the hills if your heart isn't in Nursing. You need to muster up all your love and enthusiasm for the job to survive the NHS. The media hate you, which in turn makes the unsuspecting public hate you, the Government blames you when it's them who deal you the carp in the first place. People who hold the purse strings make the strangest decisions that impact on you when they have no idea what you actually do or need. It's a jungle out there!

I still love my job, so take all this and more in my stride and make the best of it for my patients. If you don't love it now....

I agree with you! Don't get me wrong I love the patients but just feel hairdressing is best for me. It's hard to leave something I've put a lot of time and effort into, but it is for the best. I just hope I actually can get into hairdressing now! :)

Hi!
Sorry I would love some advice. I'm currently a student nurse I have 20 months left, I enjoy the course but I don feel my heart is in it. I want to get back to hairdressing. I'm currently 6 months pregnant and have a 12 month old.
Would I be able to enrol on a hairdressing course and get assistance with childcare? My only concern is childcare. I would just love some advice or if anyone has been in this situation? Thank you
Soph xx

Hi soph

I know this was yearssssss ago but I’m in the same position but I’ve been qualified 4 years and hate it! I would love to become a hairdresser and have a 8 month old. Just wondering what did you end up doing? Xxx

Reactions: JJ8
Hi soph

I know this was yearssssss ago but I’m in the same position but I’ve been qualified 4 years and hate it! I would love to become a hairdresser and have a 8 month old. Just wondering what did you end up doing? Xxx

It’s probably time to create of your own, as the quoted poster has been absent since 2015 ;)

You have one life do what makes you happy :)

As you’ve invested so much time I’d complete the nursing. You can always pick up agency shifts while building up your hair career. I imagine with two babies so close together you must be emotionally and physically knacked so can understand why you’ve lost your passion for nursing x

This thread is 6 years old and the OP hasn’t been back since 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back