Advice re: education to become nail tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina <3s Nails

Reaction score
I am interested in becoming a nail tech, but I am confused. I see that there are online classes to become a nail tech, but when called the state licensing board (I live in Oregon) I was told that they only accept degrees from certain places and sent me a list (none of them are online colleges). I'm quite confused. I have read some of the threads on these forums about people taking classes such as with CND. Someone even said that they did all their education through CND.

To go through one of the schools on the licensing board's list, it's about four or five months (full-time) and costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000 or $7,000. Is that the only route I can go? I have contacted those places, and they teach the basics but no real nail art. Once I complete a mandatory course like that, do I then need to complete classes with each of the different products I want to use (for instance, if I want to do Shellac, do I need to go to CND and complete some education there after I graduate from the mandatory course)?

I'm confused and want to do the education, but I don't want to pay for education I don't need or for repeat education. I'd really appreciate some guidance from some of you who are in the know about this before I spend the money and time. Thanks in advance for the advice c:

As far as I am aware CND often offer free training when you buy a starter kit. May just be the academy near me that does that not 100% sure but worth looking into :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I think your confusion is that requirements vary from state to state, county to country. This site is based in the UK. You have to follow what your Oregon state board requires for licensing. I'm in Arizona and once we have completed school and have our license you can buy any pro product without taking their class. But once you decide which brand you want to use all the brands offer continuing eduction for their products. It's a great idea to take their class because it will really advance your skills. Schools provide the basic education but newly licenses techs still will be slow and will have issues to work out. This is where the classes offered by CND, Young Nail, OPI and etc will really help hone your skills. These are usually 1 or 2 days seminars. Young Nails offer a week long bootcamp but you have to travel to California.
In my state the requirements for a home salon states that you must have a separate entrance and restroom! For mobile services you must book appointments through an established salon. Just a few examples of the differences between the U.S. and the UK. HTH

Bo explained that perfectly. I'm in Massachusetts. I had to take a nail course from a cosmetology school to get my license. I learned nothing! Then I had to spend more money to travel around to take classes from CND, but that is completely worth it. I take every class I can and network as much as possible. It's been a year since I started this whole process and I have a long way to go, but I'm loving it :)

By the way, in my state, going mobile is completely illegal unfortunately.

Thank you for the advice. It was really helpful. I believe the cosmetology school said that they use Young Nails, so at least I will have that experience when I graduate the school.

I have another question which you ladies might be able to help me with. I have several concerns that have to do with my age (I am 50, but I am young at heart and active for my age). I am fearful that I won't have enough "working years" to make the financial investment of the education worth it. I am also fearful that people will only want young nail techs and avoid me because of my age even if I am really good at what I do (I love to do nail art and currently do artwork on my own nails and my daughter's nails - sometimes I paint with polish and sometimes I paint with acrylic paints, using a base and top coat of nail polish). What are your thoughts about age and the nail tech business?

Girl, you are never too old to do what you love ! I'm 58 and my nails rock! Everything I do is current and up to date. I've been doing so many glitter nails, I dream in glitter. I may be an old lady but I don't do old lady nails.
Salon geek will have all the latest trends here first. Use you age to your advantage. I went to school in my early 40s and clients thought I was more experienced than I was. You're wiser and will make better choices. Circumstances took me away from the nail business for many years and have just recently come back to my true passion.

That's good advice. Thank you so much!

I feel the same way about my age, Bo! I am 54 and got my license in December of 2009 :wink2:. My first job was in a small local spa and most of the clientele there was around my age. Some of my clients asked me how long I had been in the "biz". I was afraid to tell them that I just started so I said I had been in for several years. Looking back on it now I don't know what I was so afraid of, maybe I thought they would think less of me or something. I love what I do! In fact, I love the spa industry so much that the following year I went back to school and got my aestheticians license. After graduating skin school and getting my first job as an aesthetician was truly awesome. Once again, for some reason clients liked to ask, how long have been doing this? I am no longer afraid to tell them how long I have been in the "biz".

Try to see if you can find a school that has a NAIL TECH teacher. One that teaches JUST nails. Cosmetology teachers quite often don't have the ability to teach the course correctly. I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for a school unless you know for a fact you are getting an awesome education. Tanya Sisson is a CND Educator in Oregon. You could try contacting her through her FB page to see if she can recommend any schools or knows anyone that does. I know she is off the internet for the next week because she is on holiday.
https://www.facebook.com/NailGirlSalon?fref=ts

I went to a terrible school and pretty much taught myself everything I knew because the teacher had the whole rest of the cosmetology students to take care of. I also had the privilege to shadow with some great nail tech's in the area. But, sadly, in the end, school is just about passing the boards here and you spend more money and time continuing your education at professional company schooling (like Young Nails) or shows.

An important note about US Manicuring programs:

They are for passing your board examinations. The focus is on Anatomy, disease and disorders, sanitation and disinfection, and basic nail services. These are all important things to know as a nail professional! I know that as far as the products go, yes, the schools are a bit in the dark ages. But the benefits of learning everything else is INVALUABLE. And so necessary!
Don't take it for granted. In Alaska, you buy your license. There is no training required whatsoever. And I am constantly encouraging my nail pros to find books on all of the above listed subjects!
Take what you can from beauty school- a good foundation for the rest of your career. And then choose your preferred product line (trade shows are excellent for this) and start getting continued education. And go to no less than one class a year for the rest of your time in this industry. It changes constantly, like a living breathing entity- with ADD lol. Embrace the education, and get used to investing in more of it. :)

I've heard about the Marinello cosmetology schools in Santa Clara. They have 62 campus locations across the country, so you can find one that's closest to you. They're an accredited institute AND they offer flexible class schedules, so you can work it around your schedule if you like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back