Advice re: polishing 'extra long' nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pampered1

Reaction score
I had a lady come in yesterday for the first time for a polish change, she had extensions which were nearly 3inches long. I managed to polish them, but have to admit I did struggle, I am confident with my polish technique having taken advice from Geeg's tutorial a while back. So my question is do any of you have any tips for polishing nails of this length, or is it simply a case of practicing using the same technique for polishing the 'average' length nail?

Use the same technique as you normally would... the only thing you have to think about (which I tend to do anyway) is finish each brush stroke in a straight line, so when you run out of polish on the brush you can make the 'join' seamless.

xxx

I have a lady with natural nails like this! Sometimes I feel tempted to pop down to B&Q for a paint roller 😄

Maybe use a larger brush, so that it can hold more polish?!!?

Make sure your bush is loaded with enough polish but be extra careful not to flood the cuticle area with it and work fast - shouldnt be a problem.

I used to have a client with very long NNO and I would look forward to her coming in, think I actually found it easier than those with tiny nail beds :)

3 inches long!! Seriously! I so want to know how she does things like go to the loo, do up buttons and zips, text . . . sorry, not answering your question!

3 inches long!! Seriously! I so want to know how she does things like go to the loo, do up buttons and zips, text . . . sorry, not answering your question!

so glad I'm not the only one to wonder!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Lol, As for how she copes it's beyond me, apparently she had her nails that length for over 10 years so she's obviously found a way ( :

I have one client that has really long natural nails and I myself have one (yes I know a bit odd but it's for test purposes) nail that is really long, the free edge is just on 2cm now.

The way I polish with normal polish or Gel Polish is, I make sure the brush has enough product on it to coat entire length of the nail in that once swipe but I don't start at the cuticle so I can avoid flooding, I start a good few ml away and swipe down entire length of nail and then go back up to my starting point and swipe backwards slowly to cuticle to fill this area in and then swipe down to mix this swipe in with the original swipe.

I hope that makes sense:)

I find it's all about how much product you need in your brush and this takes some practice.

Latest posts

Back