Advice to open salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kikibee

Reaction score
Hi looking for some advice I am an employed stylist of 15 years working for the same salon the whole time! Literally coming back from lockdown I have hit a brick wall! I do not agree with the owners views and the manager is very highly strung and we just clash! I would like to rent my own salon and just be my own boss now it was just to ask has anyone got advice if you have done this before, is going from employed to self employed better or been worse? I got told I couldn’t take my clients with me as I would be taken to court? As I did not bring the clients with me as I started when I was 16 as a trainee Thanks

Why not start with a smaller step and rent a chair in another salon first, to build up your own clientele and learn the basics of running your own small independent business?

How will you set your prices for your services? If you just assumed you‘d charge the same as you were doing in your old salon without thinking about your marketing budget, profit margins etc., you’re probably not ready to open a salon just yet as running a salon requires a very different skill set to hairdressing and you really need a good business head to make it successful. That’s not to say you shouldn’t consider it, but as your working experience is limited to just one salon, you might benefit from gaining further experience elsewhere and attending some additional small business related training courses, before taking the plunge to open a salon. One of the biggest issues is being confident enough to tackle difficult issues head on. If someone is being argumentative, can you deal calmly with the confrontation and find solutions or would you want someone else to step in and take over?

Re: being taken to court for poaching clients.
Do you have a written contract of employment and does it include a ‘non compete’ clause?
It’s rare for salon owners to take court action as they have to weigh up the costs of taking legal action against how much business they lose when you leave, but it’s not unheard of.

If you rent a chair in another local salon and advertise your services through social media, it’s likely that some of your clients will follow you anyway.

However, definitely think about your longer term plans and start setting goals to help you achieve them. Good luck!

Why not start with a smaller step and rent a chair in another salon first, to build up your own clientele and learn the basics of running your own small independent business?

How will you set your prices for your services? If you just assumed you‘d charge the same as you were doing in your old salon without thinking about your marketing budget, profit margins etc., you’re probably not ready to open a salon just yet as running a salon requires a very different skill set to hairdressing and you really need a good business head to make it successful. That’s not to say you shouldn’t consider it, but as you’re working experience is limited to just one salon, you might benefit from gaining further experience elsewhere and attending some additional small business related training courses, before taking the plunge to open a salon. One of the biggest issues is being confident enough to tackle difficult issues head on. If someone is being argumentative, can you deal calmly with the confrontation and find solutions or would you want someone else to step in and take over?

Re: being taken to court for poaching clients.
Do you have a written contract of employment and does it include a ‘non compete’ clause?
It’s rare for salon owners to take court action as they have to weigh up the costs of taking legal action against how much business they lose when you leave, but it’s not unheard of.

If you rent a chair in another local salon and advertise your services through social media, it’s likely that some of your clients will follow you anyway.

However, definitely think about your longer term plans and start setting goals to help you achieve them. Good luck!
That is so helpful thank you so much

Latest posts

Back