Advice wanted :cry:

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly07

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm fairly new to this site but so far completely hooked and it's defintly been the place to answer lots of questions etc
However I still have one major dilemma... After qualifiying with my NVQ2 &3 from college nearly 2years ago now I've really struggled in finding industry related positions. I live in a fairly rual area (Rutland & Leicestershire) with a few surrounding towns and 2 cities (leicestershire & peterborough) however no matter where I ring or send my CV everywhere just says the same thing "sorry you need experience" only problem is no one's willing to give you any! I now have a full time job in a hotel doing nothing related to beauty in anyway and really feel like I'm missing out. I was wondering whether salon owners tend to allow/go for voluntary work where I could maybe sit in on a few treatments and have a go. Anyone got any other types of advice on building confidence and practice up? This also seems to be the way for alot of people I went to college with I literally know two people who have got industry related jobs since leaving from out year (one because her sister owns the salon, and the other she was previously a saturday girl in the hair department and the salon have since expanded into beauty)
Sorry the post is so long as well so well done if you've managed to read it all

hey i am level 2 qualified in hairdressing, i passed last june, and i cannot find work either! ive handed my cv out to every salon in my area and nothing..... so i thought i would just share my frustration with you

they all say the same thing to me.... "you need experience" but how do you get experience without a job? and how do you get a job without experience!!!

just feels like 2 years off college was a waste of time! im currently working in poundstretchers!! :( how depressing! lol

Hey, sorry to hear this it must be so frustrating. Just a couple of things that could maybe help? When you apply for positions or work do you go into the business or just ring/post a cv? I only ask this because i know that some salon owners have more interest in people that go in to see them, it lets them get a better idea of you, if your polite, have pride in appearance etc etc. It just shows more enthusiasm and I think it also makes you stick in their mind when they would be going through cv's. Also, have you tried places further afield that you can realistically get to? When i first started out i had to do over an hour journey, bus and train, to get to work, it wasnt ideal but i did it because thats where the work was. Beauty jobs are in such high demand and often arent local. Youve really got to make yourself stand out from the rest! Dont give up it would be such a shame, you will get there! In the meantime all i can suggest is to keep doing bits on friends and family to keep your skills up, or what about doing some mobile? Confidence will only come in time. Hope you get somewhere soon, keep trying :) xx

hey i am level 2 qualified in hairdressing, i passed last june, and i cannot find work either! ive handed my cv out to every salon in my area and nothing..... so i thought i would just share my frustration with you

they all say the same thing to me.... "you need experience" but how do you get experience without a job? and how do you get a job without experience!!!

just feels like 2 years off college was a waste of time! im currently working in poundstretchers!! :( how depressing! lol

It's nice to know I'm not alone! It's like no one has the patience/time (or something) to teach us when we come out of college into a salon enviroment, I wokred in a hairdressers for a little while and a local beauty salon owner came in and when I mentioned I did beauty aswell she shot me down & was really rude before I had even asked her about positions (I actually wasn't intending to either) so since then feel like I'm hassling when asking people:rolleyes:

Hey, sorry to hear this it must be so frustrating. Just a couple of things that could maybe help? When you apply for positions or work do you go into the business or just ring/post a cv? I only ask this because i know that some salon owners have more interest in people that go in to see them, it lets them get a better idea of you, if your polite, have pride in appearance etc etc. It just shows more enthusiasm and I think it also makes you stick in their mind when they would be going through cv's. Also, have you tried places further afield that you can realistically get to? When i first started out i had to do over an hour journey, bus and train, to get to work, it wasnt ideal but i did it because thats where the work was. Beauty jobs are in such high demand and often arent local. Youve really got to make yourself stand out from the rest! Dont give up it would be such a shame, you will get there! In the meantime all i can suggest is to keep doing bits on friends and family to keep your skills up, or what about doing some mobile? Confidence will only come in time. Hope you get somewhere soon, keep trying :) xx

yes mobile appears to be the way to go...just more costly but at least I can keep my skills going etc and fit it around my full time job I've already got quite a bit of kit it was just the fact you do it on your own if things go wrong or you need a hand you might not have anyone to turn to. However I've been recommended some sites that loook fab and just what I need so thank you

Id proberly be one of those ppl telling you you need more experience. But im quite a laid back lady and i only ask that whatever skills they have, its well polished.

I know some owners that want everything impeccable of their service their attitude and personality. Im always impressed by ppl that have gone outside the box of college and tried other courses, ie with hair academies, spraytanning, male waxing, voluntry work for charities etc. It shows me you have the initative to make something of yourself. I think CV's should always state how great you are, alot look very generic and i prefer it when it doesnt always state the obvious. I see the passion when i see them actually coming to the salon, wanting to be a part of the environment.

I think you ladies need to assess the way you're approaching ppl or the way your cv is written....get a couple of mates to read it and give out their honest opinions. Good luck hopefully my tips will get you a job soon! xoxo

When I first qualified in nails I went into every place that offered this service and asked if they needed holiday cover. One did, the pay was rubbish, but the experience was well worth it.
It also made me determind to be self employed. I've rented a table, I loved that, so busy. Tried mobile, hated that. Had a home salon, that was the best.
I'm going to college in September for the nvq2 beauty therepy and will probebly sign up for the 3 after that. But I'm starting to keep my eye out for a room now. Or a flat for my daughter so I can have my home salon back:lol:
Do you practice on yourself and family hun?
That is all experience. Doesn't matter if you get paid for it or not, it's doing the treatments themselves that counts.

When I first qualified in nails I went into every place that offered this service and asked if they needed holiday cover. One did, the pay was rubbish, but the experience was well worth it.
It also made me determind to be self employed. I've rented a table, I loved that, so busy. Tried mobile, hated that. Had a home salon, that was the best.
I'm going to college in September for the nvq2 beauty therepy and will probebly sign up for the 3 after that. But I'm starting to keep my eye out for a room now. Or a flat for my daughter so I can have my home salon back:lol:
Do you practice on yourself and family hun?
That is all experience. Doesn't matter if you get paid for it or not, it's doing the treatments themselves that counts.
Yeah I've started doing even more now purely because I'm really determined, I put all my treatment on facebook and said I need people to practice on etc and have had good feedback. I previously had some interviews because of my Cv and thngs but they never amount to anything when the salon owner can choose someone who's been in the industry for years and experience you get stuck in a hole really. :irked: BUT practice will only make perfect I guess I actually have a spare room & if you could share some info SusieH on what you did with yours that would be really good!

Hi I am in the exact same position as you and share your frustration I passed my nvq 2 in may last year and have emailed, gone into salons asking for jobs but nothing has come of it only one interview! I have recently started on a major advertising adventure gumtree, facebook, google maps ive made my own website made posters which i will be putting in my works staff room, buisness cards flyers from vista print and slowly building up a portfolio,

Take pictures of everything then when u do finally get an interview you have it in hand to show the salon owner what your work is like :) xx

Chazzybabe, thanks for the wonderful idea of phots I'd never thought of that at least you can say "here look I can do it". All you ever need is one person to say work for me then it seems everything else can improve it's just getting the first step. Somebody gave me some websites so i'll Pm them to you.

Latest posts

Back