Advice with gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smudge

Reaction score
Hi All

I am going back into doing nails after a break. I am just looking at different gel polishes and before choosing a brand I wondered what the majority of tech's do? I have the worlds flattest nails lol and if I was doing a natural nail overlay of gel polish (on my own) I would put some sort of builder/builder base/structure gel underneath, build a nice apex/arch and then put gel polish over. However, I have noticed quite a few people (that have been to a nail tech's) and it just appears that their gel polish has been literally painted on like a normal polish and you can still see what type of natural nails (especially on the side profile) they have i.e. flat, ski slope etc. I would like to know what the majority of nail tech's do?

Thank you

A gel polish is a different service to a builder gel overlay. Of course they can be combined but many clients don’t want the added strength or apex.

YES, these are 2 different services.
Either way I would choose to do what my client wants and what they are willing to pay for

My gel polish clients get charged one price for only gel polish application.
If they want a thin gel layer applied for extra strength under their gel polish then they get charged extra.
And if they have longer nails or want extensions which will then require a more structured nail with correct apex placement, then that is a different cost again.

Short nails don't really require an apex as such and if you bulk them too much then they tend to look odd.

Thank you both. What sort of approx. extra is charged for the additional services as opposed to just a gel polish service? e.g. a layer applied underneath for additional strength (as I don't wish to price myself out of the market).

Latest posts

Back