Advice with massage complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sara x

Reaction score
Would appreciate some input from salon owners who may have experienced something similar.
A friend of mine has a popular town centre salon and rarely has any problems.
Yesterday a man who had a massage a few days previously called to say that as a result of his trt he had had four days off work and had been in a A and E due to severe pain etc.
He has had massages before with the same therapist and no problems. She did the same trt, checked pressure and did everything right.
She fears he may take this further and said she would speak to therapist and get back to him.

My advice was to call him and say sorry that he is in pain but that she is very sure that the therapist did everything correctly. Everybody reacts in different ways at different times and it may just be that his stress/toxin levels were extremely high and his body reacted accordingly.
I also told her not to offer any kind of goodwill gesture as it may be seen as admitting liability.

Would everyone agree or would you add anything/say anything different.
All advice given asap gratefully recieved so I can put her mind at rest.
Thanks

Everybody reacts in different ways at different times and it may just be that his stress/toxin levels were extremely high and his body reacted accordingly

For someone to be in enough pain to visit A&E, I doubt stress and toxin levels have anything to do with it.

I haven't had this happen, but unfortunately have had a number of clients over the years who have had bad experiences following massage elsewhere. Did the therapist take a full medical history - if a regular client did they check for any changes on each visit? Did the client have any problems and what sort of assessment did the therpist make regarding what treatment should be provided?

Did the client ask for anything when the contacted your friend to complain? I don't see why she would offer a refund or that she should offer it.
To be honest, if it goes any further it will need to be handled by her insurance so ensure that all records are up to date.

Unfortunately, due to our low training standards in massage, this sort of thing is not as uncommon as one might imagine, however, that is another thread really ;)

For someone to be in enough pain to visit A&E, I doubt stress and toxin levels have anything to do with it.

I haven't had this happen, but unfortunately have had a number of clients over the years who have had bad experiences following massage elsewhere. Did the therapist take a full medical history - if a regular client did they check for any changes on each visit? Did the client have any problems and what sort of assessment did the therpist make regarding what treatment should be provided?

Did the client ask for anything when the contacted your friend to complain? I don't see why she would offer a refund or that she should offer it.
To be honest, if it goes any further it will need to be handled by her insurance so ensure that all records are up to date.

Unfortunately, due to our low training standards in massage, this sort of thing is not as uncommon as one might imagine, however, that is another thread really ;)

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. I was obviously unclear though. The professional standards and training of therapist is not in question, both are excellent. The advice she needs is how to respond to the client,
Thanks though

I agree, I wouldn't offer any refund as you are admitting liability. Most of these 'scares' arent taken further. I would ask him what he done before coming to the treatment. Dont ask questions, let him tell you everything first, he may have gone to the gym and pulled a muscle or something and it wasnt painful until after the massage. Clients are terrible for not giving us the full story! I wish your friend good luck x

I agree, I wouldn't offer any refund as you are admitting liability. Most of these 'scares' arent taken further. I would ask him what he done before coming to the treatment. Dont ask questions, let him tell you everything first, he may have gone to the gym and pulled a muscle or something and it wasnt painful until after the massage. Clients are terrible for not giving us the full story! I wish your friend good luck x

Thanks Suzanne, thats great advice, will pass on

I was obviously unclear though. The professional standards and training of therapist is not in question, both are excellent.
If that is the case, then perhaps he is trying to pull a fast one as a massage should not result in a visit to A&E. But just to reiterate, if he wants to take it further, and it's quite possible he won't, then your friend will need to ensure complete records were taken.

he may have gone to the gym and pulled a muscle or something and it wasnt painful until after the massage. Clients are terrible for not giving us the full story!

Absolutely, but that is why it is our responsibility to elicit that information from them and given them the appropriate aftercare. If this does go further, then this will need to be shown to the insurance company.

If he's had a massage with the same therapist before with no issue, then it's quite possible something he's done afterwards.

A lot of people after a massage feel fantastic so they think they can go to the gym or go and dig up the garden.

Who know what he did when he walked out the door. If he did pursue it, the insurance company should launch an investigation into his medical history etc.

Was the pain in the area that he was massaged?

I believe so.
Thanks for all advice.
I think she is confident that all has been done correctly and that it is just an "unfortunate reaction"" caused by unforeseen circumstances.
Its just finding the best way to convey this to the client and diffuse the situation

I absolutley agree with everything above! I would also ask him if this is his self-diagnosis or was it a Doctor at A&E who told him that is his body's reaction to the treatment.

Some people just love diagnosng themselves and blaming other (us) for every and any ache and pain....

Good luck hun x

Absolutely, but that is why it is our responsibility to elicit that information from them and given them the appropriate aftercare. If this does go further, then this will need to be shown to the insurance company.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but how many times have you asked clients all the appropriate questions, done a thorough consultation, done everything right and only when something has gone wrong they say 'oh I didnt think that was relivant to tell you' even though you asked the question? We rely on clients to tell the truth, we are not mind readers. Thats why I hope the salon has written consultations to prove he didnt write down any medical problems.

What exactly did A & E say???? I would want confirmation from them that they considered you/your friend caused any damage. No freebies either in fact I wouldn't do him again.

I dont believe that it is common to be in pain for days after and an A&E visit to go with a massage!
I do trigger point massage and also teach it. It can can leave the client in lots of pain but it works and eventually helps lots of conditions. Ive had it done for tension spots and OMG it hurt for days after. If the therapist has worked on knots for tension during the massage (which is sometimes why men have them) the chances are that he will be in pain as tension nodules and fiberous tissue build up around nerve endings and can effect mobility producing pain.
Has anyone asked the therapists if he requested a deep massage?
I would also ask for evidence of his visit and any doctors notes relating to his A&E visit and any comments that have been made.

My partner ended up in hospital with severe pains in his chest as a suspected heart attack. Thery couldnt find anything wrong but he was in agony. It turned out to be pulled muscle of doing some building work on the house. lol

I think the therapist needs to ensure that their notes are completely filled in and hten a phone to the insurance company needs to be made.

Take their advice, they might want you to meet the customer, they might want you to only deal with them in writing.

It seems very excessive that the person has suffered such a reaction. I would ask to see what written proof the A&E has supplied him with .I wouldnt be offering a freebie, refund or anytihing until I had spoken to my insurance company and the client.

tigi

I think the therapist needs to ensure that their notes are completely filled in and hten a phone to the insurance company needs to be made.

Take their advice, they might want you to meet the customer, they might want you to only deal with them in writing.

It seems very excessive that the person has suffered such a reaction. I would ask to see what written proof the A&E has supplied him with .I wouldnt be offering a freebie, refund or anytihing until I had spoken to my insurance company and the client.

tigi

Thanks. that was the first thing I suggested, which she did and they told her it was nothing to do with thenm until a claim had been made, marvelous!
Totally agree with the freebie thing. I wouldnt want the client back again.

Just to add a point after spending a lot of time in A+E with my daughter and her 'bent' finger recently, they sometimes say fairly 'general' things like 'oh, yes it could have been the massage that caused the pain' or 'maybe you pulled a muscle sneezing?'
My daughter had pretty certainly dislocated her little finger according to the triage nurse at our small local A+E so she tried to pull it back into place - much crying ensued so we went to the larger hospital who found out it was broken so I can only imagine what the pain was like when being 'pulled'
I have the greatest respect for medical staff, but lets face it without major tests and scans etc. etc. a lot of the time they are only making educated guesses as to the cause of muscle pain or spasm particulary.

It's difficult to give advice without the full information as we are second guessing. Did the man make any demands when he called or was it just to let the salon know what had happened? Was it A&E that said the massage had caused the problem or is that supposition?
Has he actually said he will be taking it further or is salon owner just worried that he will?
I cannot see the insurance company getting involved unless a claim is made, but would recommends she has a further chat with the man to find out the problem and also with her therapist to find out exactly what records she has and how she treated this client. Until that is done, it's difficult to say what the best course of action is.

Sara
I really feel for your friend - its a horrible situation to be in.

Firstly, you have said that the therapist is experienced and worked on this man before.

My initial thoughts are that he is perhaps trying it on.

I myself ended up n hospital 3 weeks ago with suspected appendicitis, I had a massage yesterday and particular areas felt very painful. I wonder if I had had the massage before I was omitted to hospital whether I would have blamed the massage.

If he gets back to you, tell your friend to ask him those questions, what has he done differently, if he pursues it with noises about making a claim that she must pass his details onto insurance company and have no other dealings with him.

Hopefully the salon/spa keeps some sort of SOAP notes or some sort of consultation cards at least for massage clients. I write up my SOAP notes after each client when everything is fresh in my mind.

They enable a historical account of any treatments carried out and are a must in circumstances where any legal situations arise.

Latest posts

Back