Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bg1

Reaction score
Hey geeks, the other day had a client for a pedicure and as I haven't come across anything so far for many years I wasn't sure and obviously couldn't decide if the toenail was a ( fungus, bacterial infection) i have posted a picture and really want some experienced geeks with knowledge on this condition if they reckon it's ok to treat or not - as far as I can remember it did look like something I had studied while a college but because it's been a long time and I hadn't actually seen it in real life my self I wasn't sure and need best advice so I can advice my client thank u in advanced geeks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339885746.759296.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339885746.759296.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 469
That looks more like a stain to me in the photo. Her nails look healthy, no onycholysis.

I would use an old white block first and give the surface of the nail a light buff to see if it removes the 'stain' .. (then discard the block). If not, and if you have a real concern, then send the client to her GP for the 'go ahead' to treat or not.

None of us should be trying to diagnose any conditions and particularly on this forum.

Hi it's definitely a fungal great toe nail infection. There are many types of nail fungal infections and this is one of them. You could ask her to attend her go who will take nail clippings to confirm the type of fungus before treatment. That is if it bothers her, medically it needs no treatment, aesthetically it does but can be covered with polish. These infections thicken the nail and invariably the nail lifts and sheds and is often deformed.
From the pic she has had this a long time as her whole nail is involved the nail bed must have quite a high fungal infection. This is very common but not usually a problem medically but for nail techs extra precautions for hygiene are required. Hope this helps, I'm a nurse practitioner in the NHS and this is soooo common :)

Looks like a stain to me! Someone not been using basecoat?? Follow geegs advice x

definitely looks like staining to me, it will buff off easily.. Her nails look very healthy to me :)

I too would treat as if staining 😃

Nope it's deffo fungal nail infection and it's a fab pic to see it clearly you can also see it evolving on the nail plates of the other toes, anyone like to put a little wager on this?

Lololol and I don't know the lady but I would stake my career on it, this is my bread and butter so to speak! :)

The fact is that nail technicians are not qualified to diagnose nail conditions ... so we don't. We send clients with a suspected condition to their GP to get a diagnosis before proceeding with any treatment.

I do not know whether or not, as a nurse practitioner, if you are qualified to pass down a diagnosis, even if you have seen a condition many times. You may be right, you may not be right. But an image on the internet is not the way to diagnose a problem.

Images can be misleading and as you say yourself even a doctor has to take clippings to confirm the presence of a true fungus.

really looks like staining to me also - I see a lot of this when clients have previously had Jessica Geleration on their toes, seems to affect their big toe more than the other toes.. dunno why.

Does not look like a fungal infection at all.

really looks like staining to me also - I see a lot of this when clients have previously had Jessica Geleration on their toes, seems to affect their big toe more than the other toes.. dunno why.

Does not look like a fungal infection at all.

For what it's worth, I agree with you in both your posts.

Look at the image.
1. The staining clearly stops where the nail is covered with cuticle at the eponychium ... nice clean new growth.
2. You can also clearly see the curve of the stain which is exactly in line with where the polish would have been removed.
3. Look at the free edge line at the onychodermal band; there is no sign at all of nail plate separation (onycholysis) which normally one would see very clearly if a fungal organism had infested the nailbed. ON THE CONTRARY, the nail looks well attached all the way to the onychodermal band.
4. Look at the soft tissue surrounding the nail unit; no sign at all of redness, weeping, crustyness etc which would also normally be present in any common fungal toenail I have seen.
5. The rest of the toenails in the image look perfectly healthy and I can not see any sign at all of anything 'evolving' on any other toes ... quite the contrary, these feet and nails look in good shape and quite healthy.

STILL even looking at all the evidence .. I would not discount anything as I am not qualified to make that diagnosis ... ONLY a qualified person is able to make that judgement. That is a doctor or a podiatrist and not a nurse or a nail technician.

Therefore I think this thread should be closed. Although I would love to hear a COMPETENT DIAGNOSIS.

I did a pedi on a friend last week and her toe nails looked exactly like this.
Hers were just Stained.
But pics can be misleading.
You got up close not us, so id say if you thought there was something wrong then go with your instinct and advise her to see her gp. At least you will know for sure then. x

I agree with Geeg that we cannot diagnose by viewing a photograph, and it is also not for us to diagnose at all, but send a client to the necessary person for that purpose, be it a doctor or a podiatrist.
Therefore to stop any further speculating I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back