Advise for a Body Perm/Root Perm

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divalou

Reaction score
Hi there;
Ive been a hairdresser for 4 years now but have never done a body/root perm!
My friend has asked my advice as her hair is fine, dead straight and lies very flat without loads of styling. I colour her hair with bleach and a high lift tint.

Has anyone got advice as to what type of perm to use, what size rollers etc which direction. She doesnt want any curl just body - she loves big hair!

Thanks

Lou

personally ,i wouldnt use normal lotion with big rollers - the hair is fine with bleach and tint ,i def wouldnt go there .However now there are lots of different root lift perm products which ive never used and i guess if its applied at the root area it wouldnt be so bad - you wouldnt have the same build up of colour damage as the ends

go to your wholesalers and get them to recommend a perm lotion for that kind of hair.

i use goldwell biolife as it is basically a universal perm - they have three in the range all for different types including subtly highlighted hair. but i have never permed highlighted hair for fear of the consequences. you could always take a hair sample and apply the lotion to it to see what would happen.

as for the size. you can actually perm on velcro rollers to so the bigger the roller the more root lift and less curl....but shes going to get some kind of curl/wave whether she likes it or not, it would be a case of styling it out. if you wanted to test the size curl on her, set her hair on the chosen rollers that way ur'l see the curl without the commitment

hth

oh i am in the same boat as the poster. . my granny has quite fine hair but lots of it. . she queried me bout a body perm and i was like HMMMM lemme get back to ya. . hers isnt coloured tho. . thing is she doesnt want body on the top she jus wants a bit more at the sides where it just hangs, the top is bouncy enuff. . no matter how it is cut or dried (believe me i have tried everything) it still jus goes really flat at the sides. . lol. . so i am watching and waiting for the answer in this blog. . x

oh i am in the same boat as the poster. . my granny has quite fine hair but lots of it. . she queried me bout a body perm and i was like HMMMM lemme get back to ya. . hers isnt coloured tho. . thing is she doesnt want body on the top she jus wants a bit more at the sides where it just hangs, the top is bouncy enuff. . no matter how it is cut or dried (believe me i have tried everything) it still jus goes really flat at the sides. . lol. . so i am watching and waiting for the answer in this blog. . x

dont forget scotty, body perms are no different then normal perms, its the same basic principles -

the bigger the roller - the looser the curl - the less it lasts

wella do a body perm which i saw used when i trained specially for root lift, which i remember was done on velcro rollers, the application bottle put me off ever using it again but worth looking into....like i say a lotion is a lotion obviously they are designed for certain types but really ur just changing the size of the curl.

if its only the sides on ur gran why not just perm the sides and back? nothing has to touch the top and it wont run down to the top if u get my drift. just make sure u only put it on the rollers and not the whole head
, u cant go wrong!

clynol do a perm gel in a tube, if you can get your hands on bendy plastic rollers or setting rollers you can do a root perm where there is no curl but plenty of lift, just use a tint brush and paint the gel onto the roots as you wind the rollers. The best way is to do a brick wind so there are no obvious gaps ! then develop and neut as you would do with a normal perm, watch out about the colour though.
h t h

thanks i may just do that, use bigger rollers cos she not wanting like curls jus a bit of oomph in it. . mucho appreciation xcxc

clynol do a perm gel in a tube, if you can get your hands on bendy plastic rollers or setting rollers you can do a root perm where there is no curl but plenty of lift, just use a tint brush and paint the gel onto the roots as you wind the rollers. The best way is to do a brick wind so there are no obvious gaps ! then develop and neut as you would do with a normal perm, watch out about the colour though.
h t h

thats interesting to know debs69,

could u not wind the perm - then paint the gel on, so its all even timing??
are there any pitfalls with this gel?

Latest posts

Back