Advise on bleach bath please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbeymwxx

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm doing my friends hair on Sunday. She normally just has her roots done. She had previously been dyeing her own hair bright red and then went over it with a brown (box colour). You could still see the red which she didn't like so I went over it with a Matrix 3N which she was happy with. However because of the build up of all the colours that she put on her hair looks almost black. So this time she has asked if I will bleach her hair and put on a lighter brown. I have never done a full head bleach before ( except on my block ). I have advised a whole head of highlights first but she wants it all bleached. I would like some advise on what to use for the bleach bath as I won't see my tutor until Wednesday. I have Matrix bleach which says it fine for on scalp. Should I just mix up the bleach with 10 vol? Or should I add shampoo to the mix? I'm guessing I'll only lift it to an orange shade as it's so dark and then apply colour on top? If it's already ginger will I get away with applying a neutral light brown? I don't want it to go a horrible colour. Any advise will be great :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421999499.207214.jpg
Her hair now

It probably wont even lift to an orange colour if theres build up, not to mention theres red underneath. Do a cleanse rather than a full head bleach cause that will remove your build up first. 1 scoop of bleach, 2 scoops of 20vol, 1-2 scoops of shampoo and a scoop of water. Don't touch any virgin root with it. Explain to her that it will be a long process and will take a few goes to get it to the colour she wants. Once you've done the cleanse, if the integrity allows, try wella blondor with pastel in a 1:4 ratio, its brilliant. Then see what depth it lifts up to, does she it warm, cool or neutral?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you for the advise, the link for the matrix lightner is great :)
She wants to go to a kate Middleston kind of brown, which looks like a warm brown on some of her pictures and cooler on others! Maybe a golden brown? Would I dry the hair off after the bleach bath and apply a permanent colour straight away with 10 vol or would you use a semi? Or would I apply a toner onto wet hair after bleacj? Would a semi fade too quickly with the bleach? Also should I choose a shade lighter than she wants incase it goes too dark?
Sorry for the questions but I haven't covered colour correction yet, this is good for my experience but I don't want to mess it up!

She wants to go to a kate Middleston kind of brown, which looks like a warm brown on some of her pictures and cooler on others! Maybe a golden brown? Would I dry the hair off after the bleach bath and apply a permanent colour straight away with 10 vol or would you use a semi? Or would I apply a toner onto wet hair after bleacj? Would a semi fade too quickly with the bleach? Also should I choose a shade lighter than she wants incase it goes too dark?
Sorry for the questions but I haven't covered colour correction yet, this is good for my experience but I don't want to mess it up!

No semi. No it'll hold better. No same depth as lifted too. Go with an ash cause that'll still show warmth.

Tbh I would nt even attempt to do this at home with no knowledge of colour correction . It could easily go very wrong !!
I would def use a colour remover
Such as effassor tho and not use bleach all over x x

You'll need to make different formulas of target shade for darker and lighter areas too, bleach baths very rarely lift up evenly, "tiger stripes" is the usual result of a bleach bath, why don't u take her into college to do if instead of just trying to do it without an experienced person with u?

Agree with Kahuna.

If you're not experienced, you'd be better off doing this in college under supervision.

Are you doing your level 2 or 3 as this is definitely level 3 work.

I'm doing level 2, my college is over an hours drive away and she has work. I might give my tutor a call. Thanks for all your advise x

I did at least 4 with supervision before attempting it in my own :/ it's not just avoiding root flash and uneven lifting Im concerned about for u it's more getting an even result after the bleach bath, it's not as simple as just applying 1 shade afterwards in most cases, and if u apply more than once your likely to darken the hair more than u want :/

I'm doing level 2, my college is over an hours drive away and she has work. I might give my tutor a call. Thanks for all your advise x

If you're on level 2 just don't attempt it. Once you're on level 3 then id do it.

Defiantly shouldn't be attempting this kind of work while your still only training on a level 2 this is level 3 work! X

Latest posts

Back