Advise please! Complaining clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aheppy

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry this is gunna be a long one I'm afraid. I feeling really down at the moment and not really sure what to do :/ some advise would be much appreciated!

I'm 20 and I've been in a hotel renting a beauty room since may. For the most part it's been going okay, I'm pleased and I'm happy that I made a go of it on my own.

There is also a hairdresser that rents a room, this is where the problem is. We get on really well, but she's been here for 2 and a half years, she's doing really well always fully booked, she's friendly a bit blunt but as I said we get on well.

However lately she's been on my back quite a bit about clients complaining about my treatments. We share a lot of clients as if I'm quite I'm in her room looking for more business she also let's me do manicures in there.

But a couple of days ago she came into my room and said that she's been having loads of complaints about my nails! She said that three different ladies have complained that there shellac nails have come off too quickly, and that they are gunna ring up and cancel there appointments. She was quite rude about it. She said that I should ring them all up apologise and offer to redo them for free. It's really put me down and I'm really upset about it, I hate knowing people aren't happy with my work.
I don't have a problem with redoing them for free, but the problem is as that have complained to her I don't know nothing about the situation :/ I know my shellac on my nails doesn't last as long as It does in the summer and I don't know when there coming off? Just 'they normally last longer'? So I'm not really sure what to do about it?

I've got one lady in tomorrow (she hasn't canceled her appointment yet) so I'll talk to her tomorrow. Another lady is in, in two weeks time ( I was worried she would cancel but again hadn't yet) so I can talk to her to.
But the other lady it was a third time having shellac on her nails (never had it before coming to me) she's never complained before, they normally last 3 weeks but she is quite rough with her hands! I don't know how long a lasted the kart time as she hadn't got an appointment, so do I give her a call? Say sorry & find out what the problem is?

It's just a bit upsetting that they've complained to her and not me. If they had come to me than I would have sorted it. As they have had appointments with her & I've not been around they've complained to her. :/ I'm just really worried and upset, and as the hairdresser had been on my back, she making it sound like I've done a really bad job! I've not had complaints about shellac before. And I really don't want people bad mouthing me!

If you have read this far and not got bored yet I appreciate it! And would love some advise on how to handle the situation.

Thank you

If it were me I think firstly I would make sure that you have a chat with the hairdresser. I would hope that when these mutual clients are complaining to her that she is behaving in a professional manner I.e listening but ensuring that she explains that you are the beauty professional and that they need to speak to you regarding the issue.

Also don't forget that when things come to you secondhand they may be exaggerated/embellished upon. There is a big difference between someone saying "my nails chipped after 10 days" as apposed to someone saying "that tech is rubbish her nails are rubbish I'm cancelling!!" As you haven't heard it first hand your never going to really know how these things were said, I would take what your hairdresser says with a pinch of salt.

Finally Hun, this is your business, you run it how you want. You should not be bullied in to dealing with this situation in any particular way, you deal with it how you see as fit. If the clients haven't actually cancelled then I would wait until their next appointment then make sure you ask if everything has been ok with their nails, be super attentive and then judge it from there xx

I think the above poster has covered everything that needs saying. If they aren't complaining to you directly and haven't cancelled I would assume there was no problem as well. You can't resolve issues you don't know about. When you next see your clients ask if there were problems and reassure them that in future should they be concerned to give you a call. I always end my appointments with "any problems or questions, you have my contact details" before saying thank you and see you next time. I would try not to worry or feel bad and maybe just not take in too much of what the hairdresser is saying unless you are faced with a client complaint directly x

I agree with Ilovespmu and Julie, you only have second hand information, it's not really reliable.

If you are really worried, you could try a breezy call/text to either of the 'alledged' complainers just saying something like 'Hi, looking forward to seeing you on wednesday (whenever) just checking everything is going OK so far' - that way you've made contact so they can mention any problems if there are any. You've not mentioned any rumours or issues, and confirmed their next appointment all in one go.

Don't panic, wait until you have facts.

You need a stock response to say to the hairdresser too....try something like 'Ok, thanks for the heads up, I'll chat to <client> and find out some details' and smile. Don't be drawn into discussions, she has no information that can help you, only the client can do that.

Thanks for taking time to reply.
Yes when I see them next I'll defiantly double check their 100% okay with the treatments and if they have any issues to give me a call.
Now that you've said it the hairdresser does like to exaggerate quite a lot!
I'll just make sure to clear things up with the clients rather than through the hairdresser!

I would only add that I think you should ask the hairdresser to refer the clients back to you if they're not happy. She shouldn't be acting on your behalf. She could be saying anything.

I know a lot of people like this who like to embellish a story. She may want you to be successful, just not too successful.

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree with all the above, just wanted at add regarding the 'issue'.
'shellac' will last 'UP TO' two week's. If they get more, bonus!!!
We do not know what system they are used to, it could be a gel, which will last longer.
Also, if they use their nails as tools.......
Good Luck, chin up :D

Don't be bullied by the hairdresser,she isn't acting professionally telling you that your clients aren't happy with you,she should refer them to you directly.I think there's a bit of manipulative ,put you down behavior going on there ,stand up to her and deal with your own clients yourself,which I'm sure your quite capable off.Don't let anybody make you feel rubbish.x

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep it's been said here. Some people, like to overdramatise. The want to create issues, then tell you how to fix them...in a schoolteacher type way.

The clients may just have said the polish didn't last a long as last time, because she specifically asked them.
Dont worry too much, just be professional.
When you see your clients again, check that they were happy last time. Listen to their comments, go through aftercare with them. Tell them if they have any issue or concerns to let you know and you will try to advise.

I agree, she may not want you to be too successful, and put you beneath her in the pecking order. She is bullying you.

Think of it this way....you could always tell her clients have been complaining about their hair cuts, so she should redo them for free. Lol

Latest posts

Back