advise please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katielou

Reaction score
there is a new beauty therapist who has just started work where i am and i just dont seem to be able to get on with her. everytime a client asks me questions about nails she always butts in on the conversation and always says that the products we use are crap compared to the ones she used to use at her old salon. i would tell my boss but shes got alot of family problems at the moment and dont want to worry her over this (she basically left me in charge).
do i pull her to one side and tell her not to butt in o my conversations as she is only employed has a beauty therapist or just leave the matter alone and see how she gets on over christmas
any help and advise will be gratefully acepted.

katielou xxx

If it were me babe I would definately pull her to one side. It really doen't look good that she undermines you and the products that your salon uses, infront of the clients. This will surely lose the salon money and in turn will effect her as well. Why is she working there if she is not satisfied with the products that are being used? Mmmm. All the best

i dont really know how she got a job with us, i just went in one day and my boss introduced me to her and that was that. all i can figure out is that she didnt get on with her old boss

katielou xxx

Any constructive critisism would be cool I guess but just not in front of the clients.

the first time she did i thought she was trying to help but now if a client comes in shes about to go on her lunch she waits until they have gone before she goes because she might be missing out on somethin, its just starting to annoy me now.

katielou xxx

i would have a word with her. just kindly make a point of saying that she is a beauty therapist not a nail technician and that YOU are happy with the products you use. anyway if the clients you have keep coming back they cant be that bad beacause the obviously like what you do!

hth

Awww babes, I think its terrible that she seems to be deliberately trying to make you look bad. Just keep your cool and have a quite word with her. Hopefully she'll be reasonable and understand your points. xx

thank you for all your help i was just didnt know what do, to be honest it was getting me down about it all and didnt want to bother the boss as shes got her problems, didnt want her to think i couldnt handle the work load that was set for me

katielou xxxx

katielou said:
all i can figure out is that she didnt get on with her old boss

katielou xxx

:eek: hhhhmmmmm, wonder why:?: :rolleyes:

she probably did the same thing there:!:

Hi Katielou, I dont think this girl is doing the salon or herself any favours. If she is saying that the products are crap then the client will be thinking that the rest of the products that are used in the salon are crap including the products that she's using on her clients......hhmmm not good business.
Next time she says anything like this then I would just point out in front of the client that the products aren't crap if the enhancements are applied in the correct way by a professionally skilled technician....then say to the therapist in front of the client (in a jokey way) thats why I'm a technician and your a beauty therapist. If she continues then pull her to one side and let her know that you will not have her bad mouthing infront of clients....would it be fair for you to say the wax she uses is crap or the facial creams she uses is crap so she loses out on clients. If it does continue then I would definitly speak with your boss to sort the issue out. I appreciate she has family problems but I'm sure she would rather have a business than none at all.
David

hi everyone,
just an update on whats happening , over the last couple of days the beauty therapist as booked several people in with her for nail enhancements and made sure they are boked in at times when i am busy. she did enhancements at her old salon but she was not properly trained, she has no certificate or anything.

how do i solve this situation?

thank you everyone

katielou xxx

You definitely need to have a word with her. She is going to put it into the mind of clients you use crap and they will blame every lift and breakage on your product and want freebies. You can do it tactfully unlike the way she is acting. Goodluck:Love:

katielou said:
hi everyone,
just an update on whats happening , over the last couple of days the beauty therapist as booked several people in with her for nail enhancements and made sure they are boked in at times when i am busy. she did enhancements at her old salon but she was not properly trained, she has no certificate or anything.

how do i solve this situation?

thank you everyone

katielou xxx

Ring your employer! Apologise for ringing her and ask her for advice about what is happening and let her know that you are concerned that because her lack of training she could damage the reputation of the salon.

I agree with the others- simply take her to one side and kindly explain that whilst she may be taking an interest in what you're doing, to focus on her purpose in the salon and explain that whilst she may not like the products you use, your customers seem to have no problem.

Explain that you dont interfere with the products she uses and you would be grateful if she could do the same.

Good luck hun!;)

Further to the last you realy must contact your boss because if she, a none qualified tech does something wrong the liability insurance wont cover what she has done. Then its bull by the horns time and tell her she is not qualified and is not to do nails, then you are going to have to contact those apointments and explain that unfortunatly they have been double booked and when would they like to re schedule.
Good luck.

yes i agree, if she's not qualified then the insurance is void. phone your boss and say you are sorry to bother her, explain the situation and tell her you are going to have a word with this woman as she is damaging the reputation of the salon, but you need to know you have your boss's back up if needed. tell her she does not have to deal with it as you are willing to talk to the girl, but she needs to know so that she can back you up if your little chat does not work.

she will not think you are bothering her, this woman is damaging her reputation and it will be the last thing she wants on top of her family problems. she will appreciate the fact that you have let her know and are willing to deal with it in the first instance (you also need to tell her before you have the girl about it in case the girl turns it all round on you and
bad mouths you to her first).

good news i think the boss has spent a couple of days doing some undercover work and the beauty therapist is going on saturday, cant wait to see her face its going to be a picture just has christmas is comig up aswell.

She was probably like this at her old place as she didnt get on with her boss.
I'm still training but our lecturer has told us that we should try to resolve problems like this by taking them to one side and having a "positive" chat with them to resolve any issues and then refer to boss if you dont get anywhere.
Keep your fingers crossed that she is defo going!
Good luck - keep us all up-dated.

I agree with the others, take her to one side and talk with her, but I would also write a note to the owner so that she is aware of the situation, or before you know it this person could be doing treatments that could end up in a legal issue and your employer will not be happy if you knew and didn't say anything.

Just a little note, I was renting space in a salon, and i thought i was getting on with all the hair stylists there, anyway to cut a long story short i went into work one day to find a cocroach sandwiched inbetween my manicure bowls.............I had a client in front of me at the time( thank goodness it was my best friend, but still) so I complained to the manager and dealt with it. I asked her if the CCTV covered my part of the salon which she said it did. I watched the tape and SAW THIS PARTICULAR STYLIST place the insect between my manicure bowls.

I am not a violent person at all, but i took the ownder aside and this stylist and sat on my hands so that they wouldnt go anywhere that they were not supposed to if you know what i mean, and just spoke proffesionaly what i needed to say and that was it................. The explanation that came from the stylist was that she wanted the space to do her own thing, but I had got in there first.......Enough to say that i moved my clients and myself to set up at home for now.

I guess what I am saying is take the various people aside and say what you need to say. But if it gets too much and you can see that the situation is going to get worse, then you are the only one that can make that situation better, get the hell outta there.........good luck and hope it all works out.:green:

I am so glad to hear this is being resolved quickly - you seemed to have handled this really well too and not gone off in the deep end straight away to her. She is obviously insecure which is why she was trying to do nails herself.

Anyway, you can have a great Christmas and look forward to the New Year!!

CAthyx

Latest posts

Back