After being mobile would you rent a room or a whole salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsXpress

Reaction score
Yep, its me again. I am currently mobile and have been looking to take on a salon. It is in a new area so would have to start building client base again. It has three hair chairs, one backwash, a beauty room and a toilet. I would rent out the chairs, use the beauty room myself and have my nail desk in the front of the shop too. I would work 3 or 4 days in the salon, the other days I would have to still do my mobile clients in my current area.

OR

I have been offered a room to rent in a salon in my current area. I could still do some mobile clients and ask some to come into the salon as they are fairly close.

What would you go for, move from mobile to a large room
or
take on a whole salon and still do some mobile?

Please help I just cant decide what to do now. Both are affordable.

If you were to rent out the chairs are you aware of the legalities of "Chair Renting" ?
This is a minefield you would have to negotiate with the help of a very good solicitor or preferably the National Hairdressers Federation ( NHF) who have Chair Rental Agreements to help with This situation.
Good luck with your new venture, be brave & get good advice
Kindest regards
Paul

for me i would defiately be renting a room and keeping my clients, to take on a whole salon with not staff and no clients seem a big risk to me, but just my opinion, hope all goes well whatever you do.

Hi,

I'd say go fo rthe room first. Start out small, I know its both affordable but you wouldn't want to jump into the salon and amybe find more issues than you originally anticipated with renting chairs out etc.

With the room you'd have a client base and really you'd be responsible for yourself alone.

Just my opinion, its what I hope to do next :)

I would also personally go for the room! For all the above reasons :) good luck Hun xxx

I think in your current situation you would be better off renting the room.

The salon you've described is my dream and a half so if you don't go for it can I have it? :D x

Hiya, i would def go for renting the room. I have rented a couple of rooms over the years and it is a fantastic way to earn good money and not have the stress of sorting out all the over heads eg council tax ect. Good luck x

I would start by renting the room out then see where you go from there I agree with some comments on taking on a salon you would most likely need some sort of legal advice ive seen through a friend of a friend that it doesnt always end well either. At least with renting you only need to worry about you and you're not having to change areas so it seems the best option! You could always look out for other opportunities at a later date. I came from mobile and currently on maternity leave and just moved to a different area! So when I start back up next year I will be looking to rent somewhere close by as i dont know the new area too well and travelling to my old clients wouldnt be financially sensible i will be starting from scratch again!

Hi hun

I would personally go for the room rental, as you say you have an existing client base that could swap over easily to your room. I'm not a salon owner but i'd imagine only being able to work 4 days in the salon would prove a problem, in as much as youd either have to close on the 5th day or you'd need staff you can trust to take care of your business for the day, a further issue is that your staff would be renters as opposed to employed so wonder if your renters would see this under their remit iykwim.

Hth x x x

I would personally go for the whole salon and rent chairs to cover the cost of bills and the very least. I would put a good bit of money aside for advertising in particular and promote your treatments to the hair clients.

thank you everyone. I have decided to go for the room. Its large enough to take my desk, spray tan tent and a bed when I do my course for waxing too. It has windows and storage. It just needs a coat of paint to freshen it up and my pictures etc to make it look attractive. I will take pictures of the before and after and post them in on the thread of Show Your Room or Salon thingy.

Thank you once again for your help. Until I looked at it further, I didnt know just how much red tape there is in having a whole salon. Thank goodness we have this site to help us out. I would be lost without it.

Good luck, you will do a fab job i am sure. Your going to love it xx

Thanks again for all your support. I am moving into it on Tuesday. I have ordered an A board for outside and will be putting a poster in the window, as well as altering all my adverts on the internet. They are the ones that bring in the business for me. I will also be sending a round robin text to all my clients to let them know too. Getting quite excited now about decoration and making it more my own. :D

I think the very fact you are not planning to be there full time tells me you should rent a room.

I was mobile then rented a room, a self contained salon that was my own (3 chairs and 2 basins so quite large) within a big premises for a year to "ease me in" gently and was appointment only.

After one year there I expanded into a large premises main road shop front all of my own, 6 stations, 2 basins, nail desk & beauty room, staff room, wc etc and I LOVE IT but am soooo glad I started small first.

Whatever you decide good luck.

Latest posts

Back