After the trade test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here so hope I'm posting this in the right place! I went for my first ever trade test at a beauty salon yesterday and it was literally the day after I landed back in the UK so I was exhausted. I finished VTCT Level 2 beauty therapy in July this year and currently training on CIBTAC Level 3. The salon were looking for a level 2 therapist and said training will be given. I had to do a bit of massage, an upper arm wax (their model didn't have much hair) and a manicure.

Despite my nerves I did the best I could in that nerve-racking situation. My hand was shaking during the nail paint but took deep breaths and did my best. It turned out fine in the end. I was surprised that the manager didn't watch the trade test though - is this normal? My model was just one of the girls who work in the salon who came in on her day off. I feel like I'm at this girl's mercy because she'll be the one giving feedback. I feel that the manager should have been the eyes of that trade test as she was the one who got to know me and my capabilities in the interview a week before. After the trade test she said she'll let me go for now as there were other girls to see (this made me feel like my heart was going to jump out my mouth) and that she'll be back in touch beginning of next week. My life is on hold this weekend!

What I want to know is will she take my nerves in to account? I must admit I forgot the most simple thing before I began the massage I should have taken the girl's makeup off first, I tried to correct it and the girl said "Oh don't worry go over it it's ok seriously" so I guess I couldn't force her to take it off after I tried. Couldn't believe I forgot. I would normally never do that, the nerves got to me because I wanted to do so well but it went against me :eek:

Truthfully?
Yes, forgetting steps is a real no no.

I often don't watch trade tests as I'm aware people are nervous, and it makes it worse for them. I want to see what they can do, rather than how nervous I can make them.

I do allow for nerves and it's very easy to miss steps when you're nervous.
I sometimes get girls in for a 2nd trade test if I want to see more so you may always get a 2nd chance.
I'm big on attitude. I have girls come for trade tests quite a lot and to be honest, most of them need some work to bring them up to scratch. If someone has the right attitude though then that is half the battle. You can teach someone to get up to speed but you can't teach them to have a good attitude.
I will watch them do waxing or lash tints etc. If it's nails then I tend to flit in and out the room to not make them so nervous. I'll usually watch them prep the nails and then I'll probably offer her and her model a drink and then leave them whilst I do the drink. Then I'll probably watch for a few more minutes and ask questions and then nip out again.
Most girls who have just finished college need time to be spent on them but at least that way you can teach them the way you want them to work.
I have had some truly appalling trade tests to have to watch so I can kind of understand that salon owners may not want to have to go through another one :)

I had a trade test for a job a few years ago. I had to do a massage and a file and paint.
I forgot to file!!
It was on the manager too. I don't know if she noticed (we where busy chatting) and I only realised on the way home.
I got the job though :)
Good luck!

Laura💋

Lollidolli it's good to know I'm not the only one :lol: it was something simple that I would never forget and yes it's easy to forget steps when the nerves really kick in. I do feel I had a good attitude throughout the interview and trade test and I showed her I'm willing to work hard and improve and really love what I do. Thanks for your replies ladies, hopefully I'll get an answer today or tomorrow and I'll let you know how it went. I guess nothing more I can do now just going to keep busy and wait! :)

I also allow for nerves, I consider it to be a bit like an exam but of course it would depend on what job the trade test is for, for example if it was for a managerial position/head therapist, missing out steps would probably kill it for me. The right attitude is definitely top priority along with ability. I am sure you did fine really, it's natural that after the event you go over and over it. x

Thanks skingeek78, it makes me feel better. I am a worrier and tend to over think things so I could just be driving myself nuts over it. Fingers crossed! x

Is it normal to be asked back for a second trade test ? I went for an interview a couple of weeks ago and did a trade test then, but just had a message asking me back for a second one..never had this before ! X

Is it normal to be asked back for a second trade test ? I went for an interview a couple of weeks ago and did a trade test then, but just had a message asking me back for a second one..never had this before ! X

Did you like them and the salon? How do you feel your first test went? Is it a large company or chain? Personally I wouldn't necessarily do this, generally I feel a trade test with a trial is sufficient, but an exception to the rule might be if I really liked an applicant and wanted to either make absolutely sure or perhaps make allowances for nerves etc... every employer has a different policy. Perhaps they really liked you x

Don't you worry - it can happen the other way around as well. I've had stylists in for trade tests that have gone amazingly well, as soon as they start it may well have been a different person....what will be will be.

Latest posts

Back