Aftercare after removal of l&p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
Good morning peeps!

Got a bit of a query.

I've had l&p enhancements on for ages now and of course when I started my Creative course this week I had to get my enhancements removed. When they were removed, my nails were so weak and bendy and kept splitting vertically from the free edge both down the nail towards the eponychium and also across the free edge, only being held on and together by my overgrown hyponychium. I suppose my question is: is this normal? Should nails normally be so bendy and weak after removal of enhancements? Also, when I went to my Creative course, the lecturer said that there was a lot of nail plate lifting as well.

What can I do to repair them and should I always expect this if I'm doing l&p enhancements on people and I remove them??

Many thanks in advance.

Kirst

sounds to me like they have been weakened by overfiling and/ or poor removal.

If they are really bad they will need to grow out imo.

plenty of cuticle oil and hand cream will help.

xxxxxxxxxxx good luck on your course!!! xxxxxxxxxx

Plenty of Solar Oil and some sweet-smelling-good-enough-to-eat Scentsations will help to re-condition your nails.

Good luck with your course too Kirst, btw.

It def sounds like you have had your nail plate overfiled because you shouldn't have any obvious damage when you remove extensions. When you remove clients' nails they will feel loads more bendy because the l&p makes them heavy and firm, but if there is any lifting of the nail plate, splitting and peeling like you had you really need watch out for:
Removing shine (once removes shine, twice takes nail off)
When doing infills take great care with the natural nail
When removing extensions they shouldn't be forced off as this can lift off nail layers
If the natural nails are weak and the extensions are too long, pressure can sometimes be put on the nail plate, which coud cause some lifting.

Being damaged like they are now is leaving them open to the elements. If its not possible to put on a natural nail overlay there are various nail strengtheners on the market. Remember to file in one direction and bevel down to seal the layers.

As above, Solar Oil and Scentsations are fab and good luck with you course!

Good morning peeps!

Got a bit of a query.

I've had l&p enhancements on for ages now and of course when I started my Creative course this week I had to get my enhancements removed. When they were removed, my nails were so weak and bendy and kept splitting vertically from the free edge both down the nail towards the eponychium and also across the free edge, only being held on and together by my overgrown hyponychium. I suppose my question is: is this normal? Should nails normally be so bendy and weak after removal of enhancements? Also, when I went to my Creative course, the lecturer said that there was a lot of nail plate lifting as well.

What can I do to repair them and should I always expect this if I'm doing l&p enhancements on people and I remove them??

Many thanks in advance.

Kirst

Did you practise what we preach and do your aftercare? I think a good dose of cuticle oil every day would have helped this no end.

Don't forget nails often feel thinner when we remove enhancments as we've got used to the thicker feel, but the weakness and peeling sounds like poor care and over-zealous infilling to me!

This would have been an ideal teaching opertunaty for your tutor! I would have sat u down that the front of class and shown the rest of the girls just what happens when your tech is too rough with the abrasives!.. .dont be scared to ask your tutor questions like u have asked here also... after all thats what they are there for ;)

This would have been an ideal teaching opertunaty for your tutor! I would have sat u down that the front of class and shown the rest of the girls just what happens when your tech is too rough with the abrasives!.. .dont be scared to ask your tutor questions like u have asked here also... after all thats what they are there for ;)

It's funny you should say that! My tutor was absolutely delighted at the horrific state of my poor nails!!! :eek: :green: And I did go to the front of the class to show off my nail damage. I do think that there was a great deal of overfiling going on with my nail tech as my nails were often very sore as she was filing them (I'm almost surprised I had any natural nail left!!!).

However, I religiously looked after my nails when I'd had them done. I always slosh lots of cuticle oil on and go to bed with lots of hand goop on them and wear gloves (which is a bit warm in this weather, but the condition of my hands in the morning makes it totally worthwhile!). One thing that my tutor did complain about was that she did try to do some cuticle removal on me (at the front of the class) and there was absolutely no cuticle left on the nail plate as I'd been looking after my cuticles so well. :green:

Thank you very much everyone for your replies.

I've been using Toughen Up every other day and sloshing plenty of solar oil over them. I think I'm already noticing a bit of an improvement, but I understand I'll need to let my nails grow out the worst of the damage.

Thanks again peeps!

K

Latest posts

Back