Age difference - you and your partner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Age difference between you and your partner

• Up to 5 years older than them

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • Up to 12 years older than them

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • up to 25 years older than them

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Up to 5 years younger than them

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • Up to 12 years younger than them

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • up to 25 years younger than them

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
I have just watched an item about women who like to date much younger men.

I fail to see the attraction in being with someone much older/younger than my own age. My first husband was six years older than me and my husband now is three years younger, but basically my own personal limit is about five years either way.

What do you have in common, do you like the same music, have you got the same life experiences, do you want the same things from life ??? Even looks come into it, I'm just not attracted to people much outside of this range.

What do you all think and whats the age difference between you and yours ?

Each to their own and if it works for the couple all well and good.
My oh that i have now is 9yrs older than me and it works really well but my previous boyfreind was 9yrs younger than me and i found that relationship to be hard work, i felt more like his mum than his girlfriend,
although sending him to bed was fun lol

Just a couple of years between us, him being the elder . . .

I agree with you Adele, I look at twenty somethings/late teens and they look like kids! (usually):lol: I reckon you're about right with 5 years either way x

I'm 9 1/2 years younger then Paul, we've been married for 22 years and we still love each other to bits as well as being best friends, always dated boys and men older then me but Paul's age gap was the biggest.:lol:

My partner is just over 12years older than me ... I first met him when I was 17 & I am now 22!! We met through people we knew back then!!

TBH the age difference isnt a big deal at all for me & I dont think it should be. He makes me happy, we enjoy doing things together, we both want the same things from life ... I take things from day to day & always live life like its the last day, I been through some horrible experiences recently & now I'm happy, so its all good :green:

4 1/2 years between me and my hubby, age for us isnt an issue, he is older, so I guess you could call me his toy girl!! lol
My best mate's parents have 21 years between them and they are very happily married! :hug:xx

My husband is 12 years older than me. Tbh the difference in age has never made the slightest bit of difference to us. We make each other very happy and that, to me, is far more important than the number of years between us.

I'm 14 years younger than my soon to be ex-partner:eek: To be honest the age gap really didn't bother me at first we've been together 13 years but this last year its really shown itself. I was 17 and he was 31 when we met, all of a sudden he started to look what he is middle aged, I've just turned 30 and still want to do all the stuff we did when he was in his early 30's and he doesn't because hes done it all. We don't have the same fears about things, because hes done everything before me like getting a mortgage and stuff so I feel it takes the edge of the excitement of things for me. Everythings been done, tried and discounted by him before he met me and I don't like it. Up to 2-3 years ago I would have said it doesn't matter the age gap, but now I'm starting to see it actually matters a lot in the end.

Sorry for the depressing post, I'm sure its not inevitable!!!:hug:

well i had to put up to 5 years younger than me but his only 2 months younger than me :lol::lol:

i must say i dont mind what age gap there is between couples but when you see REALLY old women with VERY young men i don't think it looks quite right.

Each to there own as they say.
lucy x

I'm 22 - I was with my ex for 3 years, and he was only 6 months older than me - at that age it just didnt work - he was way too young for me really. I wanted better in life, and all he was interested in was the gym, going out and his mum still took care of his bank account!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The partner I am with now is 26, nearly 4 years older. He has his own apartment (which I now live in :green:) has lived with other girlfriends before, has had his own business and is now a city worker in London. He looks after me like never before. Hes had life experience - and I like that.

4 years isnt really that much older, but there is alot of difference in a 26 yr old with responsibilities than a 22 yr old with none (im talking guys here)

I am quite mature for my age I suppose, I have my own salon on the high street, and at 22 thats quite something to be proud of I think.....

Waffling now lol x

My Hubby is 9 years younger than me

Joan

My husband is 10 years older me and we've been together 8 years now.
I always told him that I was his mid-life crisis!!:green:

My hubby is 6 yrs older than me. We've been together 16 years and married for 12. We got together when I was 21.

My partner is 9 years older than me.

I am 26 and he is 34 - we met when I ws 19 and he was 28.

I still reckon he is more immature than me though! lol

I got confused with the poll and voted wrong I think.

My hubby is 4 years older than me, we met when I was 14 and he was 18...we have been together 23 years so he has been my only ever boyfriend :Kissing: etc... so whether this is a good age gap I have no idea...I have nothing to compare it to.

Lord above I am a sad git :rolleyes:

My boyfriend is 10 years younger then me..:eek:.. sounds iffy when i write it and say it but TBH when we are together its not an issue...
The father of my children is not a nice man.. I got with him when i was very young and spent 13 years doing all i could to please him and be what he wanted.. after 3 years of no man in my life i had to go and fall for a boy:smack:.. but this boy loves me for me.. and for now thats a nice thing to have..

Being single at 29 was wierd.. and i found most men my age were either married, taken or not worth the bother..now im 31.. I have 2 kids.. own my house.. have a business.. all i was missing was a relationship, and i think we find them in the strangest of places.. what works for some doesnt for others and vice versa..

:rolleyes: I learned the hard way men dont always act like men.. that love and respect has bugger all to do with age!

What do you have in common - not a lot! We're total opposites.

do you like the same music - nope, he likes 80's music and I can't stand it lol

have you got the same life experiences - no, not at all.

do you want the same things from life ??? - We do now we're older but not when we were younger.
What do you all think and whats the age difference between you and yours ?
My hubby is 9 months older than me, we've been together for 20 years and married for 18, we got engaged after just 3 weeks :eek:

My boyfriend is 5 years older than me (26 & 31). 5 years seems to be the average between most of my friends & their partners too. I don't think that the gap between us makes much difference, especially as he acts younger than me! We like the same music (met at a music festival), we like to do similar things (off on a kenyan safari for christmas!) and are both at a similar point in our lives. We both have good jobs, both financially secure and both ready for a serious relationship. Although he has had more serious relationships than me, this is the first time either of us has bought a house with a partner and our first mortgage, etc. We are very comfortable together as we were friends first and settled down very quickly when we got together. We bought our house after only 4 months together.

I think the fact that we were friends first was the biggest factor in our relationship, we knew that we got on well and didn't hide things from each other to make a good impression, like some people do at the start of a relationship. As we met through shared interests and shared friends, we have lots in common, which is very important in a relationship. I think that age is less important than having interests & values in common. My boyfriend could be any age as long as he is still the same person. My friend's nan had a husband 20 years younger than herself, that's probably what kept her young for so long! It's whatever works for you.

As long as you both want the same things in life and can trust each other, thats all that matters. :)

My hubby's 5 years older than me. I suppose because I was in my late twenties when we met, it's never been an issue in regard to the things we have in common. I think when you're younger 5 years feels like a huge gap. God, I sound like an old git!:lol:

He'll be 41 on Saturday and isn't happy at all!:green: Miserable so and so.

I have always gone for older men!!!! Ranging from 2-10 years older. Age gaps like that don't bother me or what others think about it!!! Older men seem slightly more mature & experienced IMO!! My husband is 5yrs older than me!! Did date some one younger once but felt like I was babysitting him not going out with him!! So older is better in IMO as any maturity is better than none, lol!!! :) My hubby still can act as bad as our two little boys sometimes, LOL!! :lol: :)

We were sort of childhood sweethearts, we liked each other when we were younger but the gap back then when he was 17yrs old was a bit awkward as i would have been 13, so nothing happened then we meet up when he was 23 & me 17 on a sort of blind date & couldn't believe it, but with in half an hour of meeting it was as if we'd always been together, got engaged 2mths later & married following year!! Now been together 7yrs & 2mths ish, have two little boys, two dogs, 3 fish tanks etc..... & although have our moments like any couple couldn't be happier!! Does have his pipe & slipper moments though, now being 30, lol!!! :lol: We do have alot in common but also some differences but I think that's good as it adds spice to a relationship rather than doing the same thing all the time!! :)

Latest posts

Back