age does matter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuteycalls

Reaction score
beginning to think age does matter i have been mobile for severl years but have just taken on a room 2 days a week but cant get any new clients and my usual ones wont come to the room as they still like me being mobile and able to vist them ive tried all free ads leaflet drops i have a web-site used A frame outside clinic ( its not got much passing trade as in a village location ) displaying treatments prices and special offers i have magnetic car sign and large rear window decol in car am i just to old for beauty now im 52 :sad:

Are there any local groups, meetings, clubs in the area? maybe you can go along and pitch your business nd give some vouchers??
Maybe slimming world, weightwatchers, womens institute, mother and baby clubs????
You seem to have everything else covered but if you are rural it may take a bit more work. Where are people going now for what you offer, what are they doing to market their business??

I hope things pick up for you - DONT GIVE UP!

Dont give up just promote and network.
Age is in the mind!!!!!!:D

Absolute nonsense my darling! I am 53 and have never been as busy. I was mobile for 12 years and then moved house and turned a room into my beauty room. I told my clients I was not doing mobile any more and only lost one. I kept 2 on who could not travel to me, one is disabled and the other is quite old now.

I have new clients contact me all the time of all ages and the older ones love it as I am nearer their age and the young ones think I am their second mum!

I would think it is more to do with the new location than anything else. What is this place like and what is the history behind it? ;)

I don't think it's your age . . . . why don't you offer your existing clients a discount for the first treatment they book at your new venue? some of them might end up really liking it there and changing their minds about you visiting them mobile.

I completly agree with everyone else, it has nothing to do with your age at all.
I think it probably the fact that your clients have got used to you as mobile & are stubbon in wanting to come out to you.
Have you taken up renting the room so you can do less mobile? Would you prefer all your mobile clients come to your room, or would you like two separate clientals, one lot for mobile one lot for your room?
Love Emma x

If you are young at heart, willing to learn, as long as you keep yourself up-to-date, age doesn't matter.

Don't give up...

i dont mind doing mobile but finding it harder to carry couch extra ive tried offering my mobile client an incentive but lets be honest if i didnt have to pay petrol ect and could have a treatment in the comfort (especialy massage ) at home i would, i moved to a village neared where i live and its the salon is ideal for massage quiet secluded so bl..dy secluded i get little passing trade beginning to think i made bad choice but as soon as i walked in to the salon and room i just felt i really wanted to be there oh well 1 more month and if i dont get any clients ill have to leave just feel a failure at the moment:sad:

I would give it more than a month, at least wait til the end of summer.

Just an idea, could you maybe put your mobile prices up, (petrol has gone up too) but leave your salon prices lower, that way your mobile clients might feel more incline to come and get it cheaper at the salon?

What incentives have you offered your clients so far?

How about giving out money off vouchers to local shops etc, print out flyers put them everywhere, in local papers, hand them out at the school gates etc.

What about a refere a friend offer?

Would you eventually like to do more days at the salon?

How about cutting your mobile treatments down, so maybe you just offered massages & facials mobile, but all other treatments at the salon?
Would that be too risky?

age is the number on your birth certificate............. dont let that stop you! you have been given some great ideas and I am sure that you just need some lateral thinking. alternatively do you have a local business adviser? someone employed by your local council to give free business advice?

xxxxxxxx

Don't base the lack of clients on your age. There seems to be a few things to think about here. I feel pt days are not the best for building clientele. I would tend to do either mobile or salon work. It takes time to build from scratch and you have to actively promote all the time until it gets off the ground. I work from a quiet residential area and started from scratch and I am now building up a nice client list (I am in my mid 40's). There are some great threads on here about promotion. The other thing is if you feel down about yourself in anyway it does come across even subconsciously to others and sends a message. Be super positive and plan a constructive approach to marketing your new venue.

By the way I know a lady I trained with decades ago and she still is busy with clients and she must be nearing 70!!! So you are a spring chicken in comparison!;)

Good advice here, I too am in a quiet residential area, I'm 47 and have only been running my salon since December09.

It was quiet in the beginning but I am now starting to really feel like its going to work. One piece of advice I would give is to get yourself a good website. If it attracts people, they will come to you and a busy location isn't as important anymore.
I have practically zero passing trade but getting calls with new clients nearly daily from finding me on the interenet.

hth and good luck.

I'm the big 5 0 and I to have never been busier. Give it time us Northamptoners just don't like change and we need time to adjust lol. Hope things pick up for you as I'm sure they will.

just want to say THANK YOU to everyone for thier advise ect will give it a little while longer agains thanks to you all

I always advertised the fact that I was a Mature and down to earth therapist and had lots of comments from ladies that it was what stood out in my ads. They said they preferred someone who was a bit older, not as intimidating as getting your bits out to a perfect 18 year old! I would feel the same. Nothing to do with the abilities of younger girls but the insecurites of us wilting old birds! :D

Latest posts

Back