Age for acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kasey590

Reaction score
I am so shocked at how often I get asked to put acrylics on young girls. My age limit is 16 and they must have parental approval. The parent must come with them and be apart of what they choose to have done. Because acrylics can still take me up to 2 and a half hours i dont expect the parent to stay but they are welcome to but they MUST accompany them to the appointment, approve of whats happening and then pick them up afterwards.

Today I got a call from a young girl, she sounded quite young, asking for acrylic tips and I didnt have any appointments free so we ended the call and that was it. 10 minutes later the same number called back but it was an older woman begging me for an appointment for the young girl. She said the girl was 11 and immediatly i said im sorry i cant do that i wouldnt put chemicals like that on someone so young and either way Im sorry but im booked out till next week. She then offered to DOUBLE my price just to get them done for a funeral she was apparently going to tomorrow. Again i politely declined and we moved on. Just a few moments ago I had a mum message me asking for her 13 going on 14 year old.

I just dont understand. I do have a couple of 14 year old shellac clients but they are nail biters growing their nails out AND I know their mothers because my husband is their basketball coach so its fine with me. But i just dont get it. anyone else have similar experiences??

My limit is 16 too,why an earth would anyone want acrylic on any younger? I think your right to decline no matter what the price,shes probably a spoilt silver spoon bum,shellac would be my route too, good for you sticking to your gunns!

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good on your for sticking to your guns on this! I wouldn't be concerned either about losing work for refusing a treatment that's not suitable for children.

I just responded to a similar post re Gel Polish on little ones and my views are the same for other nail enhancements such as acrylics and hard gels too. I'll paste some info below for you from my supplier relating to Gel Polish which I feel would also translate to Acrylics too.

Because I do other beauty treatments as well as nails, for me it's easier as such to have a blanket rule over my all my treatments of no younger than 17 for Gel Polish, nail enhancements and specifically intimate waxing. If they're 17, they need parental consent - parent or guardian must fill in a client form and be present during the treatment. Once they're 18, well they're legally an adult in this country so that's fine. On most insurance policies they're not supportive with treatments on children under 18 anyway. I queried with a few large beauty chains in my area and they too dont offer treatments for under 17's.

I would never offer Acrylics or other Nail enhancements on children either, not so much for a moral reason - for choice of a better word - but more for safety reasons, such as childs nails are different to adults, in most cases they wont be mature enough to follow aftercare advice, childs nails are generally thinner than adults, their activity level is different, effecting longevity/wear and if the child picks or bites at their nails or the product, it could either be ingested or cause damage to their nails. Also I have a concern about the childs exposure to chemicals in the application and removal process.

I was curious for an official recommendation from my supplier, so I contacted them for their recommendation(s) about the suitability specifically of Gel Polish in this instance on a child with such young nails and what age do they recommend Gel Polish may be suitable?

Their response and reasons below I feel would translate to Acrylics too so HTH:

"Hi Rhyanna,
...Please see below what our regulatory person has written below regarding your question about Gel Polish on children.

"I completely agree with the tech on the reasons why it is not appropriate on children, especially the fact that nails are thinner and softer, and the amount of time a child's softer, more sensitive skin will need to be exposed to acetone. There are a few other reasons listed below (as noted by Columbia University school of nursing). If I had to pick an age, I might say 12-13 (well into puberty when the difference between adults and children is less prevalent).

Children have thinner skin than adults. Their epidermis is thinner and under-keratinised, compared to adults. As a result, children are at risk for increased absorption of agents that can be absorbed through the skin.

Children have higher respiratory rates than adults. Higher respirator rates lead to proportionately higher minute volumes. As a result, children may be more susceptible to agents absorbed through the pulmonary route than adults with the same exposure.

Children may also respond more rapidly to such agents."

That's more than enough reason for me not to offer and I just refer to this info when Mums ask about nail enhancements for their child.

:) xo

Latest posts

Back