Age limit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your minimum age for Nail Enhancements

• 16 and over

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • 13 and over

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • No minimum age (with Parental consent)

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • No minimum age (without Parental consent)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But if the mother is going to pay my prices then why not, at leat I will know that she will get the safer of the two options with me. the other option being a discount salon, MMA being used and no drill education.
Because I think if I turn her down, but she is adamant, then she will go somewhere that will do it.

This is a fair point and as you say, at least you know they will be done properly. I guess if we are adequately insured, confident that we will cause no natural nail damage and the parent gives full consent, who are we to turn them away. Definitely an interesting subject that has given me food for thought. As Fiona mentions, maybe it is better to have an open mind on this one.

Adele

Hi Guys and Gals

I had an appointment friday night for a new set of extensions, when I arrived at the Clients house (I am mobile) I was unsure of the girls age. On the phone she sounded a lot older.

Anyway I asked her age and it turned out she was 15 coming up 16. I agree with most of you I do not like too and do not usually do extensions on anyone under the age of 16.. But this girl was going on holiday and her mum had agreed to let her have a set of extensions. So I agreed to continue on this occassion as her parents were there and gave me permission..

In case of futures situations like this, I want to put together a parental consent form to be signed. Can anyone advise me of what you have on the form??

Also would you get this signed for anyone under the age of 16/17 or 18???

Its very difficult to judge someones age over the phone, how do you go about checking someone age prior to an appointment?? I don't want to offend clients by asking everyone age..

?

I saw a little girl being interviewed on TV recently after she had had a facial - she was about 8 or 9 I think. The program was about beaty treatments for kids. Anyway, the little girl was asked what she liked about the facial - she said 'it relieves stress.............' :D What hope is there for her when she's GOT stress!!!!!

I have lots of brothers/sisters but the two youngest are 12 and 15. The 15yr old lives with my dad in Florida. The 12 year old lives in Cornwall-England with my mum.

The 15 year old (Florida) has been having l&p extensions regularly since she was about 13. Most of her friends had them and she also has regular pedis. My dad just pays because he says it is the norm over there. My dad's wife has hers done too & loves the way teenagers are all so girly and take pride in their appearance. My sister wears them at school - no problems with teachers or anything. The only sport she does is cheerleading.

My 12 year old sister (UK) would love to get her nails done. I do her regular manicures and occasional nail art on her toes. Our Mum says that she can't have her nails extended (my mum has hers done though) because she is only a child. She will not let her get her ears pierced either. It is not a money issue as I would do them for free if I felt that it was reasonable. The school allows only clear nail polish to be worn, but when I collected her last week I noticed several girls with long nails (natural I think). This sister plays netball / hockey / tennis / horse riding as do lots of UK girls so it would be mad for her to have them done.

What a difference in culture - don't you think?

When it comes to schools in my area, they are very against extensions and polish etc. (But hey they made an exception for me! I was the girl at school with mad nail art on with the teachers going gaagaa over them! :oops: )

My sister's friend had extensions on, and when she went to school, the deputy teacher told her to take them off immediately or face senior staff isolation (where you are removed from lessons and put in a room on your own for the whole day!!!). So she had to go and BITE them off to avoid this!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I refuse point blank to do my sisters nails now :o Not 'til she's left school!

xxlaylaxx

both my daughters..Paris nearly 13 and chanel nearly 10 would give their right arm for nail extensions....but i wont budge.... Chanel is a tomboy and they would all be of within an hour and whilst paris is the girly one and would look after them i feel at her age she should be worrying about her homework not excuses not to washup /make the bed...like she does that anyway lol!!!
I would rather eductae them about nat nail care and show them through patience they can have nice nails..until they are older. saying that i did do a 15 yrs and 11 months year old for her end of school ball just weekend tips though and i booked her for a soak off on the monday (which she cancelled!!) she never returned to get them removed so i expect she bit them all off then moaned about the state of her nails and i was to blame! maybe i can see a copy of your consent debbiepromotions.....

I have been reading this post with deep interest.

I think it really boils down to each individual and each situation should be assessed on it's own merits rather than a blank no for all situations and ages under 18.

I have done a couple of young teenagers (one 12 and one 13) but I have also refused two 14 year olds and one 16 year old. You may think this sounds a little odd but I decided that the 12 and 13 year olds that had the extensions were far more responsible for their ages than those who were older. The 12 year had a really big family wedding for which she was a bridesmaid. She wanted to have them done as did the bride (as I was doing all the nails for the wedding) and her mum didn't mind. I went throughly through the do's and don'ts of having them done which the girl fully understood. I gathered that she was quite mature for her age and I was proved right as she called me after 2 weeks to say that she still hadn't lost or damaged any but as she was starting back playing netball she needed them soaked off. I thought this was very responsible for a 12 year old. I soaked them off and did a mini manicure on her. Because of her age I taught her how to do a mini manicure on herself. There was no way her or her family could afford for me to do it on a regular basis but I thought by showing her how to do it herself would educate her for the future. I hear she's quite a little business woman now as she's regularly painting her friends nails!!!

The 14 year olds and the 16 year old were all friends but they only wanted it done beacuse another one of their friends had got her nails done. When I asked where she had got her's done I was told it was at a local NSS. I didn't really feel that their reasons were right as they are the sort of girls that would rip them off without a momentary thought and then say that I'd ruined their nails. I was protecting their nails and my reputation!!!! I did, though, educated them about NSS and they were shocked. I told them I would put extensions on them if it was for an occasion (which I would know if they were lying as I know all their parents!!!) but not for every day wear.

Now some of you might agree with me and some might not but you really have to take a look at each individual and each situation separately and not just put them in one ol' big basket!!!

I personally do not do enhancements on anyone under 16 years of age but am keen to know what party nails are? Sorry if i am being thick but have never heard of that before! Sounds like a good idea though. I think youngsters these days are into a lot more and it wouldbe good to offer a better service for the under 16's. I am intrigued.
Kind Regards
.........................................................................................................
I have just read the other posts more thoroughly than b4 and geeg has made some really good points. (Yet Again!)
It has certainly made me think about it and yes maybe we are being a little narrow minded.
My main concern in the past over this issue has been insurance! Until reading this thread i was unaware there was no legal age limit or in fact that you do not even need to be qualified to practice as a nail tech. :suprised:
I know that if you are doing a proper job you are not damaging the nail, and i am confident that i am; but also thought that as a child is still developing so fast it would be unwise to apply enhancements.
It may sound silly but that is just the way i thought of it. As well as the issue with insurance cover!
This site is such a well of information i am so glad i found it!!!
Happy Days!!!:D

Hi,
this topic drew me in as soon as I saw it because i am also one that is so so not keen on any enhancements being done upon those under the age of 16, for many reasons but my biggest well because if we have everything done at such tender ages what will one have to look forward to when grown up, just bills bills bills and no play.

However and this is a huge however, my best friends daughter is 12 nearly 13 but one would think more like 33 bless her, well she attends when on the local under 18's night clubs and loves to have her nails looking lovely, I have been known on several occasions with parental consent only to apply sculpted gel nails although kept very short. I feel that although I realy do not like doing it in this case I feel more at ease as this is a young girl whom is very very self consious. Bless her would put most of us elders to shame.

She gets up early each morning to do her facial routeen and apply her very basic make up just to enhance her looks a little (she is a stunner by the way) When she goes to bed she also completes a full facial routeen, clense tone exfoilate etc etc bless and also keeps her hair in the same tip top condition with regular routeens, but most of all is her nails, she solar oils them every night with out fail and top coats every other night and files them very carefully once a week.

Due to this dedication every so often she does have a helping hand with sculpted gel enhancements for special occasions if her nails have broken or alike. She understands the importance of looking after her self and puts a lot to shame.

I still am against enhancements on the under 16's but do have her as an exception, so perhaps a little hypercritical.

Ok im being quiet now coz I have babbled on for ages sorry.

Grace x

I will actually do nail enhancements on under 16's if a parent is present and I also have written consent... My own daughter has them at 15... she looks nearer 18 though. I have never been asked to put nails on anyone younger than her though and would have to draw a line if someone came in asking for a younger child to have nails....but as with all things, I think it comes down to the individual case..... enhancements can help nailbiters.... but I will refuse to do nails on anyone of any age if I think they will pull them off and damage their natural nails.
Peppercorn Nails said:
There has been a very divided discussion on the minimum age for carrying out nail enhancements on the Nailtechuk site.

I personally will not carry out this service on any person under the age of 16 (parental consent or not). However, it has come across that there are a number of teks out there that are quite happy to do so, one in particular doing it on her 7 year old daugher!

With all this toing and froing I decided to contact ANT and Professional Beauty to enquire about their insurance policies in this matter. Amazingly there is no minimum age limit as long as there is parental consent, and in ANT's case, a parent present.

I am totally happy to do a mini mani, polish and nail art on a minor, but surely nail enhancements is just a step too far.

What are your thoughts on this fellow teks?

Adele

I have to say this really interests me. I was recently asked to do a set of nails on a 14 year old who i must admit does look nearer to 18. Her mum asked me to do them for her as she is a chronic nail biter and is so shy with no confidence. I agreed to do them but warned her mum that i felt she probably wouldn't look after them so they wouldn't last long.

I also spoke to the young girl and said to her she musn't bite around the edges as this does cause them to lift, and also if they do lift i told her she must not pick or pull them off as she would do some horendous damage to her fingers and nails. Both the girl and her mumsaid they understood, so did them.

All well for three days, then the girl apparently had a bad day at school for what ever reason and chewed the whole lot off!!! How she didn't cause too much damage i don't know but have now refused to redo them as i think its a pointless exercise. The mum agreed with me but the girl was very upset.

I totally agree with an age limit of at least 16+ or it could causeproblems for yourself in the long run. Saying that each case needs to be looked at individually as some 15 year olds will look after their nails so i suppose a few exceptions can be made.

Sorry for the essay, felt it had to be said.:|

Hi

I did a 14 year old acrylics a couple of weeks ago with the consent of her mum and also because her dad was getting an MBE at Buckingham Palace so it was a really special occasion. I soaked them off for her after the event. I must admit i wouldn't normally do acrlyics on under 16 year olds but i do think this was quite a special occasion.

Shelley
ps she had no nails to start off with otherwise i would have suggested a manicure and nail paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back