Age of apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I'm in need of some advice regarding hiring another beauty apprentice.
What age do you prefer? A school leaver 16-18 years old or a more mature student say 19.24? I'd love to hear your stories and recommendations of who's best.
Thanks in advance.:biggrin:

I dont think the age matters its their attitude you could get a fantastic 16 year old or a lazy rude 30 year old so I would just base it on the person really!

<3 Stephanie <3

A salon i used to work at would only take on 16-18 yr olds

It's cheaper to hire a school leaver aged 16. My boss will only hire younger students because of this, employers can keep apprentices on the £2.68 wage for two years when doing the NVQ level 2, then reput them onto the NVQ level 3 for a year. If they were to hire anyone over the age of 19, they can only be paid apprentice wage for a year until minimum wage kicks in, vs 3 years for a younger one.

Not very sensible of the government, as they seem to make it difficult for anyone older than 18 to get an apprentice position in a few careers.

Good to hear others opinions. I'm not having much look with 16-18 year olds I've employed over the last couple of years for various reasons so was considering an older apprentice for a change.

I think it is ultimately down to the attitude of the person you are hiring, how mature are they, what is their attitude towards working within this industry, how passionate are they about beauty etc.. Personally I would prefer an older apprentice as from personal experience at 16 or 17 school leavers often don't quite know yet what they want as a professional career and have other priorities. 19-24 year old apprentices will more likely have made up their minds about what they want to do career-wise, are more mature and work hard for what they want and what they are passionate about. Ideally they already have some sort of work experience and have been to College and know how to act appropriately within a professionell working environment.
Obviously there are always exceptions to the rules and it depends on the individual person. It is most important that the apprentice is passionate about working in beauty, is willing to work hard and is able to offer great customer service.

Good luck :).

Latest posts

Back