Age requirement for gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maymay0912

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if legally there is an age requirement for a one time gel application? I have a client, who is requesting I do her 5yr olds nails. I have been doing my own 6 year olds gel nails occasionally with no issues. No allergies and she does not pick she waits for me to remove with gentle hand filing and then buffing. If you do little ones do you write up a release form or something to not claim liability of child develops allergy or picks off and gets thin sensitive nails? So different when it’s not your own child...

Hi all, I was wondering if legally there is an age requirement for a one time gel application? I have a client, who is requesting I do her 5yr olds nails. I have been doing my own 6 year olds gel nails occasionally with no issues. No allergies and she does not pick she waits for me to remove with gentle hand filing and then buffing. If you do little ones do you write up a release form or something to not claim liability of child develops allergy or picks off and gets thin sensitive nails? So different when it’s not your own child...

Please through the thread linked below:

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/gel-on-5-year-old.329316/

Thanks! I did go through that one and was hoping to hear others chime in on it. I suppose I need to now figure out a way to say no... mom is pretty persistent and says the risks are fine for them

Ethically I wouldn’t, legally I wouldn’t, insurance wise I wouldn’t. No brainer.

No-one knows the long term implications for these types of chemicals, but it’s unlikely to be benevolent.
Definitely never put gel on children’s nails. You will be potentially introducing them to a lifetime of allergies and goodness knows what else...cancers etc.

... mom is pretty persistent and says the risks are fine for them

That is a dreadful attitude to have about her own child. The child isn’t the property of the parent. It’s called parental responsibility not ownership. :mad:

I was taught not to do any artificial enhancement service on any child under 8yrs old, including gel polish. I was taught that damage from such could potentially cause permanent damage since they're still developing.

The manufacturers and the Manufacturers Association have all said that nail enhancements, including gel polish, should not be used on children. Since it would be against manufacturer's instructions, your insurance would not cover you. One can quibble about what age that might be, but certainly not under 14. And with all due respect, I would also strongly recommend that you not use gel on your own child as well (Yes, I know you didn't ask, but thought it important to say).

Thanks! I did go through that one and was hoping to hear others chime in on it. I suppose I need to now figure out a way to say no... mom is pretty persistent and says the risks are fine for them

Even if the mother is willing to sign a disclaimer it doesn’t cover you if anything should happen to the child. Your insurance company would expect you to follow industry standard health and safety regulations no matter what. Ultimately it’s your reputation on the line.

My insurer said follow the manufactuer (age 16+), they said its down to my insurer. Either way over 16's only for me I have a conscience. Child health comes first.

9 and up and also make sure u don’t do them too long then it would weigh the clients nail bed down from to cuticles and also make sure u apply nail strengthening spray before u apply a set of nails

Age 16+ for me for all services.
I think everything has already been said with the exception of the fact a child will not sit still during the service. How will she be when you’re doing cuticle work? She’s never going to follow aftercare either.

Latest posts

Back