Aggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Picking nail extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willows18

Reaction score
I could scream!!!!

No matter how often you tell clients not to pick or bite their nail extensions, why do they insist on doing it?

My mother in law in coming tomorrow to have her nails removed and she spoke to my husband last night and told him she had bitten/picked all but 1 of her nails off. It makes me sooooo cross :mad: as then people start to say things like "nail extensions wreck your natural nails".

Sorry, my whinge for the day!!!!

Kirsty

My mum does exactly the same thing !! I think it's because i don't charge her, so now i've started saying 'no more freebies' and she's kept her most recent set on for about 3 weeks now !! It gets my back up as well, cos you spend 2 hrs of your time doing them, and then they come back to you 2 days later with them all picked off. AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!

The moral of the story - if you don't value your service then neither will the client.

Dont give freebies! You have to buy your products so why give them away.

I do charge my mother in law but at a discounted rate, £10 off for full set and £6 off for infills, but still she picks!!!!!

Kirsty

willows18 said:
I do charge my mother in law but at a discounted rate, £10 off for full set and £6 off for infills, but still she picks!!!!!

Kirsty
hi there,
I have a client who comes every two weeks for her infills and every time she comes in she has bitten (don't know how, but she does) her two thumbs off:eek: I replace the two thumbs every two weeks and charge her....at the end off the day it is her fault and she knows it....it does make me mad, cos i have put in the hard work........she is honest with me, which makes a difference.....I have tried to explain that it will damage her natural nails, but she can't help it:sad: she even does it in her sleep......you can only advise your client....and if she carries on then it's down to her...make sure you write everything down on her consultation sheet:rolleyes:
Amanda

Right hands up for me on this one :o Because although i am a Nail Tech, I do have a tendency to pick at my nail extensions. It is a bit like an obssession, because i have to pick at most things, I cant leave spots,scabs etc i have to pick. So although i hate people ruining my hard work, i am in truth as bad as them.

willows18 said:
I could scream!!!!

No matter how often you tell clients not to pick or bite their nail extensions, why do they insist on doing it?

My mother in law in coming tomorrow to have her nails removed and she spoke to my husband last night and told him she had bitten/picked all but 1 of her nails off. It makes me sooooo cross :mad: as then people start to say things like "nail extensions wreck your natural nails".

Sorry, my whinge for the day!!!!

Kirsty
Ahh bless her..................
Well maybe you could explain to her that every time she picks...she is actualy stripping the nailplate...........so there will be a time when there is just a flimsy layer of nail left and then that will be the time where no enhancement will successfully adhere to her nailplate...............
She is systematicly distroying her nail..........literaly layer by layer!!!!!!!

Find out why she is picking them off??? Are there any loose bits ???

Tell her that she will be better off having natural nail care......Manicures with strengthning treatment..........

Pickers (the serious ones) are mostly always habitual pickers...........they find a loose bit and before you know it, it's progressed to a nice bit, that can be so easily picked off.....
And then it is like creating a uniformed look , they have a go at the next nail..

There is no magic answer here, as the severe cases , do this without even thinking about it......it is a habit and an addiction..............like smoking, only with smoking, you can hide the cigarettes........not so easy when your habit is at hand so to speak..................

Getting cross with her wont help........... but praise may work better if she manages not to do it.........maybe try a reverse tactic.... Tell her that you are so pleased that only one has been picked off, so that one she can have on the house!!!!!!!!
If that doesn't work, then go the natural nail care route.......give that a go......
Most of all , don't let it get you down...................WE CAN'T HELP EVERYBODY............only the ones that want it !!!!!

I find that once you've explained to most clients that they're wrecking their nails (and lining your pockets!) and you've sent them away with a mini-maintenance pack (I retail the Backscratchers Traveler Kit - Nail Radiance cuticle oil, Emergency Stikr nail glue, mini 3-way buffer, and cuticle stick), they start to take more care of their nails and are more inclined to repair rather than pick. :)

There's always the lost cause though...one client of mine in particular had the awful habit of picking tips off when she was drunk. :rolleyes: She'd have maintenance + anything from 2-8 tips replaced per week!! It really was crazy as she'd even admit it would take her at least 30 minutes to pick each tip off (I've always made doubly sure she has a hard time finding any pickable bits!)! After several months, as much as the guaranteed weekly income she provided me with was useful, I tried switching her from natural-look tips to French White. And what should happen? She stopped. No more picking. She has the theory that it looks much worse when a bright white tip is missing, and that's what deters her. I'm just pleased, whatever it was that made her stop. Now all we have to worry about is replacing the ones she breaks falling over on the way home from the pub, kebab in hand... I despair!!! :lol:

TTFN

G. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back