air bubble in natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amerie43

Reaction score
I was filling a clients nails today and I was filing off the parts of arylic that had lifted and I got to her thumb and and started on what I thought was a part of acrylic that I thought was lifting and I didnt want to file too much so I grabbed my nippers and snipped off the lift and to my suprise it was her natural nail that I cut off!!!!!!!!!!!! She said it didnt hurt and even afterwards said it still wasnt bothersome.... What could have caused an air bubble in her natural nail???? This really scared me and really is bothering me!!!!

I'm glad it scared you. WHen the natural nail plate lifts from the nail bed like this, it's more often than not caused by trauma to the nail plate, and usually from aggressive filing and/or removal techniques by the nail tech.

What leads me to believe that you may have caused this trauma, is your admission that you nipped away lifted product. This is a BIG no-no, as it can cause even MORE lifting, added to forceful removal of layers of the nail plate in the process.

Most techs don't realize the damage they have done, because we aren't initially TAUGHT in beauty school about how damaging some of these techniques are. I have used them myself in the past, and thought for sure the damage was coming from my products, and not me. After more extensive training outside of school, I have learned otherwise.

I hope that I am not coming across as offensive, what I am aiming for is that you look into your own techniques, and figure out what's best for your business, and your clients health. And your OWN health. :)

No offense taken, Actually I was filling someone elses work. She was getting her nails done at some other salon and I usually dont cut off any lifting for that reason but I couldnt get it to go away and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt file off... I shouldnt have cut it I know. I feel really bad about it. She wasnt in pain though so that made me feel a little better but like I said I never seen nothing like it before... Well thanks for explaining why that happens, Now I know.

Latest posts

Back