Air bubbles in my acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athanailartist

Reaction score
Hello ! Hey ! . I have hit a problem that’s putting a dent in my progress . I am getting air bubbles very badly in my acrylic powder , & once I’m done laying the acrylic and it’s time to file , little pockets open up which make small holes in the nails . It’s happening with all of my acrylic ,any brand , I’ve tried different brushes , changing the ratio , pressing to release air bubble , letting it settle before moving it etc. I’m not over working my acrylic or wiping my brush too much . Yes I’ve tried different ratios wet and dry ... even Tammy Taylor and young nails are bubbling .... also I’m assuming with whatever issue is going on it’s causing my acrylic not to set hard enough like it’s hard enough to file but still soft it that makes sense . Anything known to get rid of air bubbles I tried & it’s been soo discouraging idk what to do ! I haven’t had these issues In the past . I have added pictures also . I hope someone can help !
A5DC89AD-E153-42DA-A083-1F6414D2DC5D.jpeg
F8952651-E4B4-4637-962C-7F441861DC0A.jpeg
03612FFB-94E1-4F10-A347-4B4FC4DD4C36.jpeg
69838619-60E6-484A-99CE-69855E0C02AF.jpeg

If you've tried tried various brands and the same issue happens then it must be something you do, usually it's over working the product.

It's slso possible you have reached the 'over thinking it' point. Every brand has a different mix ratio, it takes practice to msster it, if you're jumping from product to product you're not necessarily giving yourself time to master the brand.

*I am assuming you are sticking within the same brand - monomer and polymer from the same company - if you're mixing brands you will have issues

If you've tried tried various brands and the same issue happens then it must be something you do, usually it's over working the product.

It's slso possible you have reached the 'over thinking it' point. Every brand has a different mix ratio, it takes practice to msster it, if you're jumping from product to product you're not necessarily giving yourself time to master the brand.

*I am assuming you are sticking within the same brand - monomer and polymer from the same company - if you're mixing brands you will have issues

I do mix monomer with other brands as well as the same monomer with the same brand . I’ve been mixing for years and haven’t had any issues until a few months ago . I’ve also used this same brand for years as well I even have bubbling in color acrylic . I can lay one nail , and then theres more air bubbles in the brush . This is the clearest I can get it ...but it’s still cloudy and noticeable air bubbles .
4E7C4C3E-EA73-44B3-B519-C273F86B2AB0.jpeg

I'd like to see some test beads. Same brand liquid and powder - create a bead and place it on a clear nail pop and leave it alone to set, no pressing in to shape, etc. Just placed and left alone.

Sometimes what I notice with application is that techs use the point of the brush more than the belly to where it shoves rather than belly pat smooth so to speak.

I also would like to suggest temperature which I have found to be critical with air bubbles and other curing issues. I have found that to much heat can cause crystallization and sometimes can look like air bubbles and other stuff. Too cold can produce too much overworking of the product and air bubbles. The rate of curing with the chemical in the monomer which I forgot the name of at the moment really impacts the problem of air bubbles. The chemical is set for that monomer to cure at a certain general time period mixing it can increase the chemical amount and maybe the formulas for those products have changed.

Some may not agree with me but with clear after placing the bead(I use the one bead application alot) I will use the remainder liquid in brush and wipe zones 1 and 2. It for some reason helps with the air bubbles for me. Maybe because it is alittle wet instead of dry?

These are all brainstorming ideas to help you. I really want to know why this problem is happening to you. I can understand completely and sympathize with you!

I'd like to see some test beads. Same brand liquid and powder - create a bead and place it on a clear nail pop and leave it alone to set, no pressing in to shape, etc. Just placed and left alone.
Complete cure time on these took 5-6 minutes per bead 1st is with one brush 2nd picture is with another .
438DC2D2-7E62-424C-9CE2-ED5742BDB3A1.jpeg
26EF779A-F6EC-4331-8AE9-FD1BA8D9B1BF.jpeg

Which brand? Same brand of monomer and polymer?

You're ratio is off for a start, the product shouldn't be dripping down the sides of the Nail Pops, it will settle a little but that's way too much movement, you're working far too wet currently. 5 minutes to set is far too long too, a correct ratio bead should set up in about 90 seconds - it may still be slightly plyable but certainly not taking that long to set. Again, it's an indication of working too wet, there is not enough polymer to monomer ratio.

Which brand? Same brand of monomer and polymer?

You're ratio is off for a start, the product shouldn't be dripping down the sides of the Nail Pops, it will settle a little but that's way too much movement, you're working far too wet currently. 5 minutes to set is far too long too, a correct ratio bead should set up in about 90 seconds - it may still be slightly plyable but certainly not taking that long to set. Again, it's an indication of working too wet, there is not enough polymer to monomer ratio.
Yes same brand I was hoping you didn’t say that About the ratio , but that’s how I like my consistency . Also it is a fast setting powder any dryer ratio it will dry too fast to work with , I been using this ratio w/o any issues for years so why would problems start now . And yes it does come down on the side a bit but It didn’t drip or anything . I know people who use wetter beads and don’t have these bubble issues ... I know the time it should set as well but just to prove it’s not the ratio I’ve done a drier bead that only settled a little . And it’s still took 5-6 minutes
75CED84B-E360-4065-9B47-9465CE2F3BBA.jpeg
30426369-C583-4A7E-A1B0-31FFB2134B3A.jpeg

Sometimes what I notice with application is that techs use the point of the brush more than the belly to where it shoves rather than belly pat smooth so to speak.

I also would like to suggest temperature which I have found to be critical with air bubbles and other curing issues. I have found that to much heat can cause crystallization and sometimes can look like air bubbles and other stuff. Too cold can produce too much overworking of the product and air bubbles. The rate of curing with the chemical in the monomer which I forgot the name of at the moment really impacts the problem of air bubbles. The chemical is set for that monomer to cure at a certain general time period mixing it can increase the chemical amount and maybe the formulas for those products have changed.

Some may not agree with me but with clear after placing the bead(I use the one bead application alot) I will use the remainder liquid in brush and wipe zones 1 and 2. It for some reason helps with the air bubbles for me. Maybe because it is alittle wet instead of dry?

These are all brainstorming ideas to help you. I really want to know why this problem is happening to you. I can understand completely and sympathize with you!
Yes thank you for that , I’m super stressed out and discouraged right because I’m trying any and everything to fix the problem ... I’ve tried wettest to driest bead ... change the temperature etc. hopefully someone can figure something out !

Yes same brand I was hoping you didn’t say that About the ratio , but that’s how I like my consistency . Also it is a fast setting powder any dryer ratio it will dry too fast to work with , I been using this ratio w/o any issues for years so why would problems start now . And yes it does come down on the side a bit but It didn’t drip or anything . I know people who use wetter beads and don’t have these bubble issues ... I know the time it should set as well but just to prove it’s not the ratio I’ve done a drier bead that only settled a little . And it’s still took 5-6 minutes

Just because you prefer a wetter bead doesn't mean it's right for the product.

The monomer has a chemical make up which is scientifically matched to the set up point of the polymer and they both have an equal part to play in creating a perfect bead. Too much of one or the other throws this chemical reaction out of whack and issues occur. This is basic product chemistry and why you should never mix and match brands. You say you've been doing it for years with no issues but are clearly having them now so something needs to change.

What brand are you using?

If you are determined not to believe the issue is chemical based what do you want it to be? It can't be several different brands all doing the same thing, you and your brush are the common denominator.

How do you clean your brush? Are you are using a brush cleaner is it possible it's leaving a contaminant in your brush? Brushes should only be cleaned in fresh monomer.

Last edited:
Just because you prefer a wetter bead doesn't mean it's right for the product.

The monomer has a chemical make up which is scientifically matched to the set up point of the monomer and they both have an equal part to play in creating a perfect bead. Too much of one or the other throws this chemical reaction out of whack and issues occur. This is basic product chemistry and why you should never mix and match brands. You say you've been doing it for years with no issues but are clearly having them now so something needs to change.

What brand are you using?

If you are determined not to believe the issue is chemical based what do you want it to be? It can't be several different brands all doing the same thing, you and your brush are the common denominator.

How do you clean your brush? Are you are using a brush cleaner is it possible it's leaving a contaminant in your brush? Brushes should only be cleaned in fresh monomer.
How should I clean and store my acrylic brush ?

I agree with Trinity, getting the correct bead ratio is essential. Go back to basics rather than habits that have developed over years.
If you think your brush may be contaminated then replace it and ensure you do thorough brush prep before you use it. Store it flat or bristles down.

I agree with Trinity, getting the correct bead ratio is essential. Go back to basics rather than habits that have developed over years.
If you think your brush may be contaminated then replace it and ensure you do thorough brush prep before you use it. Store it flat or bristles down.
The last picture I posted the ratio was just right & that did not make difference . Also as I previously stated I’ve tried several ratios , they were no different . I will keep trying until I figure out the problem whatever it is. Thanks soo much ladies for your advice .

The last picture I posted the ratio was just right & that did not make difference . Also as I previously stated I’ve tried several ratios , they were no different . I will keep trying until I figure out the problem whatever it is. Thanks soo much ladies for your advice .

I'd still like an answer to what brand you're using and how you've been cleaning your brush.

I'd still like an answer to what brand you're using and how you've been cleaning your brush.
I am using young nails monomer & young nails clear fast setting powder . Cleaning my brush with monomer and acetone and flatting it out

Another thing that’s stressful is the setting time as well I have to wait a while after application before filing .

and acetone

And there is probably the problem - never, ever, ever get acetone anywhere near a kolinsky sable brush. They are natural hairs, acetone will strip and dry them out.

Get a new brush, only ever clean it with fresh monomer (as in dispense some new monomer in to a dappen dish, clean brush, then dispose of it, every time you use it and between clients) see how you get on then.

Another thing that’s stressful is the setting time as well I have to wait a while after application before filing .

Young Nails is pretty slow setting but your ratio is too wet which will make it worse.

Latest posts

Back